Speculation: 2021 Off-season Management/Coach/Owner Discussion

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
Randy had issues with our veterans, Dallas has. At some point I have to think it is not only the coach.

The great Jacques Lemaire was 0.41 and 0.45 in his first two years at the Wild with a better roster. You can not rate a coach based on weak rosters. Eakins got assistants here that did not work. Especially on the PP.

He was loved by the players in the AHL, even by veterans there. I guess that was the main reason to promote him. His record there is very good.

Last edited:

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
The eakins thing is tough. He hasn't had much of a team to work with but there is also a ton of smoke around locker room strife and his ability to reach the veterans. Is that more on the players or on him? We don't know. I have a hard time believing this team is any good with Scotty Bowman leading it.
I'm not saying this based on any actual information, just what I'm seeing, but I don't find it coincidental that his hiring coincided with the decline of several of our veteran players (several of whom aren't just not producing, they flat out don't look engaged). I don't believe Silfverberg, Henrique, Manson, and Rakell are as bad as they've been under him and that concerns me. I also don't think he ever appears truly engaged or like anyone particularly respects him, though again, this is just coming from some oaf on his couch watching TV. I also don't recall ever hearing anyone praise him (if I'm wrong on this please link this if you can). I don't think the team would really be too much better but I do think a better coach could at least get more engagement out of the veterans.

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
It is funny for me that his Oilers time is often a reference. I mean Todd McLellan had a slightly better first season there with the same roster as Eakins AND the addition of Draisaitl + McJesus to the lineup. The difference was 1 loss and a tie over a season.

Reactions: Static

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
That doesn't bother me at all. Owners being the face of a franchise or getting involved in hockey ops is a very bad thing.
Ducks have the most hands off ownership in the NHL I think unless correct me if i am wrong.
Arte Moreno is the complete opposite as owner of the Angels, meddles down to even firing a TV play by play guy because he personally didn't like his sound.
I have to admit the guy they fired sounded too much like that homer who did play by play for the Chicago Whitesox but firing him for no valid reason leaves an impression Arte meddles more than i previously thought.

Reactions: duckpuck

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
It is funny for me that his Oilers time is often a reference. I mean Todd McLellan had a slightly better first season there with the same roster as Eakins AND the addition of Draisaitl + McJesus to the lineup. The difference was 1 loss and a tie over a season.
Now that you mention Todd McLellan he is the only coach to lose two playoff series to a Randy Carlyle coached team.
The 08-09 presidents trophy Sharks and 16-17 Oilers couldn't get past Randy.

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
I think it’s more of a matter of Todd McClellan also not being too good of a coach. Neither is particularly good I’d say - Dallas has looked worse because of his teams and Tmac has looked better but neither is impressive at all imo . Tmacs had a ton of talent to work with in his career and has never won anything.

Reactions: AngelDuck

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I think it’s more of a matter of Todd McClellan also not being too good of a coach. Neither is particularly good I’d say - Dallas has looked worse because of his teams and Tmac has looked better but neither is impressive at all imo . Tmacs had a ton of talent to work with in his career and has never won anything.
Sharks also went to the finals after McClellan left. DeBoer was an upgrade. 2014 playoffs had a 3-0 series lead over LA to only watch them lose 4 in a row to LA.
Hard to not Win when you had three 1Cs in Thornton, Pavelski and Marleau (but he played on the wing) and Couture who played like a 2C in 2013-14 as well.

When LA starts winning again, they'll probably fire McClellan.

Reactions: Mr Rogers

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
I'm not saying this based on any actual information, just what I'm seeing, but I don't find it coincidental that his hiring coincided with the decline of several of our veteran players (several of whom aren't just not producing, they flat out don't look engaged). I don't believe Silfverberg, Henrique, Manson, and Rakell are as bad as they've been under him and that concerns me. I also don't think he ever appears truly engaged or like anyone particularly respects him, though again, this is just coming from some oaf on his couch watching TV. I also don't recall ever hearing anyone praise him (if I'm wrong on this please link this if you can). I don't think the team would really be too much better but I do think a better coach could at least get more engagement out of the veterans.

Henrique was on pace for 30 goals last year and led us in scoring. He had an abysmal start to this season but was pretty good after clearing waivers. Rakell was awesome last season up until his concussion. Silf has been dealing with a hip issue ever since Eakins came on and Manson has had a bunch of injury problems and his play has been very up and down. I don't think Eakins is ruining them. I just think if any other team in the league had Adam Henrique as one of its top offensive guns we as ducks fans would think that's a brutal offensive roster.

SoCal Dreaming

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2020
I'll be surprised if orange county allows it. I don't know how that will work, or how they will implement the infrastructure to verify vaccination status. I know iphone users can have a scannable thing on their wallet, but not everyone will have that.

I hope it's the case though, I'd like to go to a game.

They have it now in Android phone aswell. I just had it saved as a card on my Google Pay App. It's a barcode aswell. You need to have the vaccinated record public to your county and they'll send you the link via text.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
That doesn't bother me at all. Owners being the face of a franchise or getting involved in hockey ops is a very bad thing.
I'm not really wanting them to get involved, however they are the ones overseeing everything and if the team is going to go with the same shitty GM, coach, and roster, that finished 5th last in the league and then 2nd, and are still being brought back yet again, it would be nice to get some sort of message from them as to why the fanbase should have faith in what they're doing.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
They have it now in Android phone aswell. I just had it saved as a card on my Google Pay App. It's a barcode aswell. You need to have the vaccinated record public to your county and they'll send you the link via text.
That's awesome, good to know

la patineuse

Aug 21, 2010
I'll be surprised if orange county allows it. I don't know how that will work, or how they will implement the infrastructure to verify vaccination status. I know iphone users can have a scannable thing on their wallet, but not everyone will have that.

I hope it's the case though, I'd like to go to a game.

You can get an electronic record at: MyVaccineRecord.CDPH.ca.gov Once you complete the information and create a PIN, you'll get a text or email with a screen to input your PIN and you will get your electronic record. It would be more convenient if they created an app where you can access or store your record, but I don't think they have done this yet. I saved a screenshot of my record and also bookmarked the webpage for entering my PIN.

Reactions: Static

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
You can get an electronic record at: MyVaccineRecord.CDPH.ca.gov Once you complete the information and create a PIN, you'll get a text or email with a screen to input your PIN and you will get your electronic record. It would be more convenient if they created an app where you can access or store your record, but I don't think they have done this yet. I saved a screenshot of my record and also bookmarked the webpage for entering my PIN.
I have all of my health stuff on an app through my healthcare provider, so I should be good there. Most health care providers should have that now with the evolution of telehealth in the last 18 months.

Mortal Wombat

Dec 7, 2014
Randy had issues with our veterans, Dallas has. At some point I have to think it is not only the coach.

The great Jacques Lemaire was 0.41 and 0.45 in his first two years at the Wild with a better roster. You can not rate a coach based on weak rosters. Eakins got assistants here that did not work. Especially on the PP.

He was loved by the players in the AHL, even by veterans there. I guess that was the main reason to promote him. His record there is very good.
True, but on the other hand both of those coaches have had similar issues elsewhere, as well - suggesting that it still might be mostly about the coach. Boudreau didn't have any problems with the players that I can remember.

Reactions: GermanRocket7

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
This will never happen (in the immediate future?) but I’ve long wondered about the possibility of the Ducks moving to San Diego and switching the Gulls back up to Honda Center.

SD would be a more exciting environment to play in, with possibly MUCH better crowds (the Chargers once filled up the Qualcomm consistently… blame Spanos), and the OC fanbase wouldn’t be that far away either (not like the traffic can get any worse than it is already).

The San Diego Ducks sound way cooler too.

I know this is blasphemy, and I don’t think it would happen due to the stadium issue. But maybe five or so years from now when the Honda Center gets a bit long in the tooth?

*ducks* :popcorn::sarcasm:

This is laughable, particularly the bolded statement. The great fans in the City of SD wanted the Chargers to continue to play in a stadium built in 1967, with the fans/voters disapproving multiple alternatives. The Chargers tried for 10+ years to get a stadium, but couldn't get community support for it. Spanos found a better deal in Los Angeles of all places

Regarding the rest of your post, you seem to not understand the Samuelis have a long term lease of the Honda Center and have been making massive investment/upgrades there. In what world do they remove the primary tenant of that building to play in SD where there is no modern arena option?

Reactions: AngelDuck

GermanRocket7

Fire Newell Brown yesteryear!
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2008
Düsseldorf
True, but on the other hand both of those coaches have had similar issues elsewhere, as well - suggesting that it still might be mostly about the coach. Boudreau didn't have any problems with the players that I can remember.

Exactly this. Both Carlyle and Eakins have a reputation for losing their players and getting tuned out sooner rather than later.

Boudreau had a problem with Teemu at the very end of his career, as Teemu said after retiring that he would still be playing if it wasn't for BB being the guy behind the bench. Then again, Teemu has an ego that fits only into very large rooms and he surely decline steadily in 5on5 play during his last season, so I'd say him being mad at BB for being relegated to 3rd line duties was his ego taking a scratch more than anything else.

And, again, I can only reiterate that Eakins is, in fact, a horrible coach. People apologizing on his behalf for the rosters he was given to work with is mind-boggling. Every single sniplet of information we have points to him just being a pompuous dick who doesn't know what he is doing as an NHL head coach.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
This is laughable, particularly the bolded statement. The great fans in the City of SD wanted the Chargers to continue to play in a stadium built in 1967, with the fans/voters disapproving multiple alternatives. The Chargers tried for 10+ years to get a stadium, but couldn't get community support for it. Spanos found a better deal in Los Angeles of all places

Regarding the rest of your post, you seem to not understand the Samuelis have a long term lease of the Honda Center and have been making massive investment/upgrades there. In what world do they remove the primary tenant of that building to play in SD where there is no modern arena option?
You mean they couldn't get the community to pay for it.

The billionaires can afford to finance their own stadiums, they would just rather the taxpayers foot the bill.

I have no doubt San Diego would generate a lot of fans for the ducks, but the sameulis would never move them. They'd probably sell first.

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018
Exactly this. Both Carlyle and Eakins have a reputation for losing their players and getting tuned out sooner rather than later.

Boudreau had a problem with Teemu at the very end of his career, as Teemu said after retiring that he would still be playing if it wasn't for BB being the guy behind the bench. Then again, Teemu has an ego that fits only into very large rooms and he surely decline steadily in 5on5 play during his last season, so I'd say him being mad at BB for being relegated to 3rd line duties was his ego taking a scratch more than anything else.

And, again, I can only reiterate that Eakins is, in fact, a horrible coach. People apologizing on his behalf for the rosters he was given to work with is mind-boggling. Every single sniplet of information we have points to him just being a pompuous dick who doesn't know what he is doing as an NHL head coach.

That's a new one for me. Criticize his coaching all you want but he comes off as thoughtful, composed, and a genuinely positive dude to me...

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
You mean they couldn't get the community to pay for it.

The billionaires can afford to finance their own stadiums, they would just rather the taxpayers foot the bill.

I have no doubt San Diego would generate a lot of fans for the ducks, but the sameulis would never move them. They'd probably sell first.

Exactly - there wasn't public support in SD for any contribution to a badly needed stadium whereas other cities made those offers. In other words, the SD fanbase wasn't there, which was my point.

All people - including billionaires like the Samuelis and Spanos - typically take the best deal. Anaheim's deal with the Ducks (and Angels) includes significant public contributions in terms of $$ and land.

Last edited:
Reactions: gunnergunther

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
That's a new one for me. Criticize his coaching all you want but he comes off as thoughtful, composed, and a genuinely positive dude to me...

He was a bit of an airbag in Edmonton but that humbled the hell out of him. I honestly dont know how Eakins as a person can be criticized ever since joining this organization. Everyone in San Diego loved him and the smoke about veterans having issues with him was also that they were jealous of how close Eakins was with our young guys lol. Sort of what you'd want to see in a rebuild instead of the opposite.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad