Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Is it game time yet?

NWHL Bubble.JPG

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
It's so sharp looking it looks fake. I'm of an age when I can remember top of the line expensive photography equipment not taking pictures that sharp.
I wouldn't be surprised if the image was manipulated for effect, but modern LED lightning does some amazing things for visual impressions (colors & sharpness) especially in an empty building. My impression of the 1980 Rink-Herb Brooks Arena when my wife & I visited for an ECHL game in 2016 was that the facility had "very clean lines" within the bowl, which are consistent with the image. :dunno:

Reactions: 210

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Third-year Pride forward McKenna Brand scores a PP goal with just over a minute left in the first period, taking Boston to the intermission with a 1-0 lead over Connecticut. The Whale played well on defense & put 13 SOGs on BOS goalie Victoria Hanson, so they are very capable of catching up.

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
End of 2 periods, still 1-0 Pride. BOS came out playing aggressively in the 2nd period & kept CTW off-balance for much of the 20 minutes. The Whale had a goal waived off after a ruling that forward Janine Weber had batted it in with her glove. [Interestingly the decision was made by consultation of the 4 on-ice officials, as there is no replay system for them. Odd for play at this level to be missing that feature. :whatever: ] Connecticut also had two 5-on-4 advantages that period, but their PP efficiency is at the level of "we decline the penalty" bad. :facepalm:

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
I wouldn't be surprised if the image was manipulated for effect, but modern LED lightning does some amazing things for visual impressions (colors & sharpness) especially in an empty building. My impression of the 1980 Rink-Herb Brooks Arena when my wife & I visited for an ECHL game in 2016 was that the facility had "very clean lines" within the bowl, which are consistent with the image. :dunno:
I know what you're saying about LED lighting. The DCU Center used to have a yellow hue with the old lighting system. The new LED system, which they only turn up to something like 60% brightness, has completely changed the look of photos taken there...well, other people's photos, at any rate. Mine still suck. :D

Reactions: Roadhog and JMCx4

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Approx. 4 minutes into the 3rd period, Whale defender Tori Howran scored on a slap shot goal from the point over a ducking Boston defender Taylor Turnquist. 2:20 later, Katelynn Russ puts Connecticut up 2-1 on a lunging poke past Victoria Hanson. CTW now energized, while the Pride may be wearing down after playing last night (4 games in 5 days). :phew:

ETA: And just as I finished typing, Connecticut forward Alyssa Wohlfeiler netted one to make the score 3-1. Third assist of the night for forward Emma Vlasic. And the Whale are back on the power play - might be a break for BOS.

Last edited:

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
And Whale assistant captain Emma Vlasic adds her 4th point of the night by roofing a shot from the slot over Hnnson. 4-1 CTW with just over 5 minutes left in regulation.

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Final Score = BOS 1 - CTW 4. Boston had consecutive power plays in the closing minutes, but just could not penetrate the very steady Connecticut PK squad. The Whale had 19 SOGs in the 3rd after a total of 17 in the first two periods. A very steady performance for rookie goalie Abbie Ives in the CT net, keeping her team in the game to give their offense time to click. :clap:

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
End of one period in the second game of the night in The Bubble, BUF 2 - TOR 1. Toronto rookie forward Brooke Boquist scored her second goal of the condensed season early in the period, but Buffalo rookie forward Autumn MacDougall scored her first two NWHL goals to give the Beauts the lead. The Six outshot their opponents 19-10 and showed good offensive speed & puck handling. But Buffalo turned on the jets in the latter stages of the opening period to turn the momentum around going into intermission.

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
End of 2, TOR up 3-2. Toronto forward Taylor Woods joined the Two Goal Club, scoring her second of the season with about 6 minutes left in that period after she sprinted out of the penalty box. Then Six defender Megan Quinn scored her first pro goal to give her team the lead again. The Six again racked up the SOGs (now 40 total for the game), with Beauts rookie keeper Carly Jackson running up her Season Save total but starting to look tired from all the rubber hitting her.

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Final Score = BUF 2 - TOR 4. Buffalo played frantically in the closing minutes, and were awarded a power play with 45 seconds left, but could not muster an offensive attack & the Six scored a "Fluke" empty-netter (scored by Emily Fluke) with 11 seconds left to seal the victory. Toronto was able to sustain their team energy throughout the game, despite having played last night. The Beauts stayed competitive but could not match the speed & determination of the Six, who are now 2-1-1 in The Bubble and in second place a point behind Minnesota.

Two more games on Thursday night in Lake Placid, @ 5:30 PM EST & 8:30 PM EST. Then the teams have another day of rest on Friday, before a final tripleheader day on Saturday to end the condensed regular season.

Reactions: Roadhog

CrazyEddie20

Hey RuZZia - Cut Your Losses and Go Home.
Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
So, who thinks the Riveters pulled out because of Covid, and who thinks they broke into factions due to the Barstool controversy and one group of the team said, "F it, we're outta here"?

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
So, who thinks the Riveters pulled out because of Covid, and who thinks they broke into factions due to the Barstool controversy and one group of the team said, "F it, we're outta here"?
I'm on the fence. Third option is they were homesick.

CrazyEddie20

Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
I'm on the fence. Third option is they were homesick.

The league barely had any kind of bubble and Lake Placid is a great little town. I could stay there for months in winter. They probably could too, if they weren't there being hounded by no-talent "reporters" trying to stir up stuff.

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Officially speaking ...
Metropolitan Riveters Withdrawn from NWHL Season
January 28, 2021
by NWHL MEDIA

LAKE PLACID, NY – The Metropolitan Riveters have withdrawn from the 2021 NWHL season after several members of the organization tested positive for COVID-19.

The decision to withdraw the Riveters from competition follows the League’s medical protocols established for the season. ...

“Our team is heartbroken to not have the chance to compete for the Isobel Cup, but we are aligned with the League in prioritizing the well-being of all of the players and staff,” said Riveters head coach Ivo Mocek. “We wish the best to our respected opponents, and I assure you that the Metropolitan Riveters will be back to compete again in Season 7 for our fans and all of our amazing supporters.”

Out of an abundance of caution, the League is postponing games scheduled for today and will resume play on Saturday, January 30 at 12:00 p.m.

CrazyEddie20

Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
Not a good situation at all. You have to wonder if this could impact the entire bubble. If one team has had to withdraw entirely it's safe to say the bubble has definitely popped

I saw on twitter that they just let the Riveters players leave - you'd think some kind of quaratine or isolation would be required for the players who tested positive and everyone they were in close contact with. That leads me to believe that there wasn't really a bubble at all, just some testing and a "let's hope this works."

Reactions: mk80

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad