2021 NWHL Season Thread

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
I looked for a highlight package and didn't see one...can you pass along a link, please?
I received my E-mail invitation yesterday from Twitch to watch these playoff games. Apparently the small print said I had to move to Canada to redeem the offer. :whatever:

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
NWHL Returns to Ice as League Skates Toward New Ownership Mode

MICHAEL MCCANN
March 26, 2021 12:00PM EDT

With the NWHL resuming the Isobel Cup playoffs tonight at the Warrior Ice Arena in Boston, John Boynton is a busy person. He and his wife, former Harvard hockey captain Johanna Boynton, play leading roles in two franchises in the women’s pro hockey league—the Boston Pride and the Toronto Six. A Massachusetts-based entrepreneur and president of Firehouse Capital, John spoke with Sportico about his family’s involvement in the NWHL and the league’s new organizational direction.

Boynton described his family’s decision to join the league’s ownership ranks as a continuation of their longstanding involvement with women’s hockey. In 2014, the Boyntons found billet families for 10 players on the U.S. Olympic Team who were training nearby for the Sochi Games.

“For six months, we had amazing athletes, like Julie Chu, Hilary Knight and Kendall Coyne eating at our dinner table and cheering for our four kids at their youth sports events,” Boynton said. “That was our family’s first taste of elite women’s hockey, and we were hooked.” He added that he and his wife are committed to “addressing some of the persistent inequities [in women’s hockey] that are all too visible.” ...

Read more at: Co-Owner of Two NWHL Teams, Boynton Sees Promise in Women’s Hockey – Sportico.com

GahdenRinkRat

Bruins' Den Mother
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2008
By the Dirty Watah
I received my E-mail invitation yesterday from Twitch to watch these playoff games. Apparently the small print said I had to move to Canada to redeem the offer. :whatever:
At least the quality of the broadcast might be better than NBCSN which is stuttering in both sound and video, nearly unwatchable, not helping with promoting Women’s pro hockey :help:

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
NWHL ANNOUNCES FINALISTS FOR 2021 AWARDS
April 22, 2021
by Paul Krotz

Winners to be Unveiled April 28 Live on “NWHL Open Ice” on Twitch

April 22, 2021 (Brooklyn, N.Y.) –
The National Women’s Hockey League today announced finalists for five major individual awards for the 2021 season with top candidates nominated by a selection committee of media and broadcasters representing all six NWHL markets plus national contributors.

The NWHL will honor excellence on the ice and in the community with the unveiling of award winners, as determined by the media selection committee, in a special edition of “NWHL Open Ice” on Twitch hosted by Katie Gaus that will stream live at twitch.tv/NWHL on April 28 beginning at 7:00 p.m. ET.

2021 NWHL Awards Finalists:

MVP: Most valuable player

Jillian Dempsey (Boston Pride)
Kaleigh Fratkin (Boston Pride)
Mikyla Grant-Mentis (Toronto Six)
Christina Putigna (Boston Pride)

Defender of the Year: Most excellent performance by a defender

Shannon Doyle (Connecticut Whale)
Lindsay Eastwood (Toronto Six)
Kaleigh Fratkin (Boston Pride)
Mallory Souliotis (Boston Pride)

Goaltender of the Year: Most excellent performance by a goaltender
Elaine Chuli (Toronto Six)
Carly Jackson (Buffalo Beauts)
Amanda Leveille (Minnesota Whitecaps)
Lovisa Selander (Boston Pride)

Newcomer of the Year: Most excellent performance by a player competing in their first full season in the NWHL

Sammy Davis (Boston Pride)
Mikyla Grant-Mentis (Toronto Six)
Carly Jackson (Buffalo Beauts)
Haley Mack (Minnesota Whitecaps)

Denna Laing Award: Awarded to the player who most exemplifies the qualities of perseverance, sportsmanship, and dedication to her sport

Jillian Dempsey (Boston Pride)
Shannon Doyle (Connecticut Whale)
Brooke Stacey (Buffalo Beauts)
Saroya Tinker (Metropolitan Riveters)

Given the uniqueness of the 2021 campaign, performances across all regular-season games in Lake Placid, as well as playoff games in Boston, could be considered by the selection committee.

Additional honors including the NWHL Foundation Awards, Fans’ Three Stars of the Season, and an assortment of player-selected recognitions will also be announced on April 28.

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
I can see MGM winning both of her awards. Fratkin, Selander, and either Doyle or Stacey for the others.
I doubt that the selection committee will choose the same player for two awards. The League needs to build player name recognition to stay relevant to the hockey fans & to sponsors.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
I doubt that the selection committee will choose the same player for two awards. The League needs to build player name recognition to stay relevant to the hockey fans & to sponsors.

@Roadhog: Thanks for not rubbing it in re. the Mikyla Grant-Mentis awards. It embarrassed me enough just reading it in the privacy of my own shame. :blush:

Not rubbing it in at all, but it seemed to me if they are trying to build name recognition, having one standout player who gets multiple awards, might be a way to do just that. Just like every non-hockey fan has heard of Wayne Gretzky, building up one particular player as a potential "superstar" could get people talking about the women's game, or at least give them one recognizable name. If they spread the awards around it is just a list of names I don't recognize anyway.

Reactions: JMCx4

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad