Prospect Info: 2021 NHL Prospect Showcase | September 18th - 21st | AdventHealth Center Ice in Wesley Chapel

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ

Any skater or goaltender in each of the four organizations on an entry-level contract (or less), provided they are 24 or younger and have less than 20 games of NHL experience, are eligible to participate in the Showcase (exceptions may be permitted with prior approval from all teams).
All Lightning games will be streamed live on www.TampaBayLightning.com.

Schedule:

Saturday, September 18
  • Tampa Bay Lightning vs. Nashville Predators | 1 p.m.*** (Game Location TBA)
Sunday, September 19
  • Carolina Hurricanes vs. Tampa Bay Lightning | 1 p.m.
Monday, September 20
  • Practice day
Tuesday, September 21
  • Florida Panthers vs. Tampa Bay Lightning | 1 p.m.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Invites:

Jeremy Hanzel - 18 year old dman for Seattle in the WHL. Played only 5 games at the BCHL level in 2020 and 23 games this season in the WHL. NHL central scouting had him ranked as the 77th best North American player for the 2021 draft.

Avery Winslow
- Another 18 year old dman that was passed up in the 2021 draft. Played in the OHL for London and North Bay in 2020, who obviously didn't have a season this year.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Jack Finley had shoulder surgery in early April. The estimated recovery time was "up to 6 months." So these September games have him right on track. He had missed Canada's national junior team camp a few weeks ago while still rehabbing.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ

“I think I’m strong on my breakouts, and I have a good first pass,” Winslow says in assessing his own skillset.

“I can use my feet well in the D-Zone and I’m good in that zone, but I like to chip in on the offense when I can.”

Battalion Head Coach Ryan Oulahen says, Winslow has been a welcomed addition to the team, ““We’ve liked him,” he said after Sunday’s game.

“What I really like is his compete factor, he never seems to give up on plays. The game is all about mistakes and how are you going to react to mistakes and he’s really competitive, he makes smart decisions. And sometimes we forget that he’s only 17 years old, and that’s the exciting part because I think he’s going to be a really good player for us.”
Winslow was born south of the border to, hailing from the Sunshine State. He says a winning culture in the early 2000s is what got him to pay attention to the sport of hockey in the first place.

“Back in ’04 when the (Tampa Bay) Lightning won the Stanley Cup, my oldest brother Arthur started going to the games and fell in love with the sport and started playing and me and my other brother (Zachary) just followed in his footsteps.”

There were ripple effects throughout the state due to the success of the NHL club. Winslow says they started building more rinks and providing more opportunities to young players that might never have tried on skates otherwise.

“Just seeing them be successful and watching them have so much fun playing the sports helps little kids fall in love with it.”

Despite having not lived in Florida full time in several years, Winslow says he still follows the team and says former Windsor Spitfire and current Lightning defenseman Mikhail Sergachev is his favourite player to watch...
“(Travis) Dermott on Toronto is who I model my game on.”

Really cool that there was a connection to hockey because of the 04 Cup team

Reactions: Uncle

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Travis Dermott is such a deep cut to model your game on, I've got to respect it.

Winslow honestly reads like a guy the Solar Bears would be in to. (a few years from now)

I'm not all that satisfied with how the Bears defense has been. They kind of remind me of the Bolts PP when Hedman wasn't shooting. If you take yourself away as an option to shoot, you become a much easier team to defend against.

These teams that I love, IHL Solar Bears, current TBL, have these skilled and very mobile top-4 PMDs. They aren't only breakout passers while the forwards have to carry most of the load.

Last edited:

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
According to Raw Charge there are some last minute roster changes:

Invite (D) Jeremy Hanzel and 2021 draft pick (F) Niko Huuhtanen are not here. Not sure the reason for either. Huuhtanen is in the US and played the other night in Everett's match against Portland.

They are replaced by new invites: Wyatt McLeod and Xavier Cormier

Both are seen in EE's photo as #66 and #72

Wyatt McLeod - 21 year old / 6'3" D man. Split time between Saskatoon (WHL) and Utah (ECHL) last season. He will attend University of Alberta this season (USPORTS).

Xavier Cormier - 20 year old / 6'0" Center. Plays for Rimouski (QMJHL). Had 32 points in 32 games last season

Last edited:

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
There was some speculation in the off season that Groulx would join André Tourigny's staff in Arizona, but he is here running camp.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ

- Roest mentions Odeen Tufto is coming off knee surgery. He is starting to skate now but will be held out of the tournament and is a few weeks away from playing in a game

Last edited:
Reactions: Stormbreaker

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ

Groulx was intrigued by what he saw from Finley in a short amount of time in Syracuse last season.

"After two weeks you see the progression," Groulx said. "And so we get excited by it. He's playing some games and he's going through bumps and it's normal, up and down, but I was very excited by Jack and then he had to go back to junior and then he got injured and all that. I think he's a young player that's got to have a good camp here. I'm excited to see how he's going to do. I think he's got a bright future."
But it's his hockey smarts and his competitiveness that have stood out to Groulx. And he's a player that's easily coachable.

"I think one quality Jack Finley's got, you tell him something and he does it," Groulx said. "I think it's huge. Some guys you tell them something and they don't really pay attention. He pays attention. You tell him something and you can trust him that he's going to try to make it happen."
"It's an important season for him," Groulx said. "I can't wait to see him play at this tournament and perform against the men in the NHL. I think he's going to have a good season in Spokane if he goes back obviously. You never know. Hopefully he'll play in the World Junior. He would be a guy that I would take a close look at. I don't know the other guys, but I don't think they have many other 6-foot-6 centermen that can play like him."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad