Post-Game Talk: 2021 NHL Playoffs - Round 3: Tampa Bay Lightning vs. New York Islanders

My Magic 8 Ball says…

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Antiramie

Mar 25, 2011
At the very least he needs to be demoted and given notice of it. You can't keep babying an $8.5M player who doesn't produce in the playoffs just because a prior GM gave him a NMC and he's the captain.

Look at Callahan... He quickly went from being a captain to a 4th line grinder on another team and fully embraced his role and became one of the most popular players for it. Obviously Stamkos isn't at that point yet, but he needs to stop being treated like an indispensable elite player. I wouldn't mind at all if the guy is put on notice.

And it's not like we're lacking in guys who could replace him at captain if need be (Point, Hedman).

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Well if we lose at least we have last year. Also at least we still have a good team. However it would sting for a few reasons. One think we are better than the Isles. We should win this series. 2 it was a good opportunity that we didn't take advantage of again in the semifinals. Wouldn't be thrilled to see that. 3 this may be the best chance we have at it in some time that we know of. I'm sure we would get over it but it would still suck.

OurlordAndSaviorKuch

Number one Bull$hit
Oct 12, 2011
Tampa Florida
E4WxYUJWEAIKRB7

Ummm Excuse me?

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL
That's really not as unusual in sports as it might sound. When someone does both regional and national work, there's always the chance for overlap. Newsday is a New York publication so it makes sense for them to highlight the Islanders connection.

Besides, we've dealt with Eddie being all over the Isles the last two years. His PxP partner is the least of our problems.

Reactions: NatoGhost

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL
It's just sensational how one-sided NBC's coverage is on this stuff. Post-game of the Knights and Habs, and once again, when previewing tomorrow's game, everything is through the lens of the Islanders, what they've been doing, what they can do, who's been performing, etc. If it weren't for the graphics showing both teams logos and the occasional name drop, you might not even know who their opponent is. You'd think we're watching MSG and not NBCSN, and you'd think the Islanders were the big team in New York and not the Rangers.

And I'm saying this (and the last post) as someone who generally doesn't try to complain about network bias too much, mostly because complaining won't change anything and also because it's often our own perception of a bias rather than an actual bias at play. In some cases, though, it's just too obvious and can't be ignored.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
It's just sensational how one-sided NBC's coverage is on this stuff. Post-game of the Knights and Habs, and once again, when previewing tomorrow's game, everything is through the lens of the Islanders, what they've been doing, what they can do, who's been performing, etc. If it weren't for the graphics showing both teams logos and the occasional name drop, you might not even know who their opponent is. You'd think we're watching MSG and not NBCSN, and you'd think the Islanders were the big team in New York and not the Rangers.

And I'm saying this (and the last post) as someone who generally doesn't try to complain about network bias too much, mostly because complaining won't change anything and also because it's often our own perception of a bias rather than an actual bias at play. In some cases, though, it's just too obvious and can't be ignored.

They've been like that in my eyes for a while. Maybe I'm biased. Feels kinda weird saying it but I almost end up hating the broadcast team more than the team we're actually playing against. When we score I'm like f*** you nbcsn!

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
They've been like that in my eyes for a while. Maybe I'm biased. Feels kinda weird saying it but I almost end up hating the broadcast team more than the team we're actually playing against. When we score I'm like f*** you nbcsn!

Agreed. The isles are tolerable but the media coverage makes them insufferable. You would think this was the dynasty Isles the way they go on and on about them all night long. Gets to the point where it's just nauseating. Sure, we have our Brayden Point highlight reel and Vasilevskiy getting talked about, but their comments are so obviously one sided.

Last game, Olcyzk after seeing the isles player was onside ""Onside! Tampa should be getting a penalty here!" He sounded so excited at the prospect of an Isles powerplay. Wonder why.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
I picked us in 6 also but this Islander team is the best team we have faced this season. Still think we win the series but next year better watch the Islanders. Reminds me of the Bolts about 4 years ago.

OurlordAndSaviorKuch

Number one Bull$hit
Oct 12, 2011
Tampa Florida
To say this team has been my religion for half of my 32 years of life is not hyperbolic because I probably know as much about those years as an Imam knows the Quran and a Rabbi knows the Torah. Because of that "Doesn't matter won the Cup" both talks me off the ledge and keeps me calm. I think the next time I am going to relieved that much will be like if I pass a kidney stone.

Because I will one day go to the HHOF and see our names on the Cup, I'm at precisely the same point as I was going into game 7 of the NYR. By then I was just happy to be there and I'm happy to think we are still so very alive in our chance to repeat.

This team has always been one that I have been extremely passionate about and yes it is nice we won the cup last year but at the same time. I want more and I don't think that is a bad thing as a fan of this team considering the talent we have. Also considering we might not have this core together for much longer, considering the cap restraints we are under currently. So I want this core to cement themselves as the greatest of this team, not just this team but this city too. For a long time this city and area didn't have a lot to be happy and proud of and before the Bucs decided to go from worst to first so to speak this Team has carried this community through some shit times and given us something to be prideful of. And I just don't want this journey to end now.

Antiramie

Mar 25, 2011
I'm almost more excited for MTL than I am this f***ing team, and I usually always root against Canadian teams.

They play the game the way I wish this team would at times. And Cooper isn't coaching them.

Anyway, go Bolts tomorrow. But if it doesn't happen, I hope MTL burns the barn to the f***ing ground.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad