Post-Game Talk: 2021 NHL Playoffs - Round 3: Tampa Bay Lightning vs. New York Islanders

My Magic 8 Ball says…

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Maelmoor

Apr 20, 2004
Stockholm, Sweden
Will be really tough regardless who we play. Two really good teams, even if they are rather different.

Boston now got two good lines (obviously their first line is top notch), but their third and fourth lines have not impressed at all. Rask seems to struggle with some injury too.

Islanders obviously has a solid system and also more depth, their first line is good but not as good as Boston's.

Let us hope it will go to a game 7 and they get banged up in the process!

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
There's decent arguments for either. I think the Isles are easier when you consider they only took us to 6 games because Point was out for 2 of them, but maybe Trotz has another trick up his sleeve.

Hockey4Life91

Mar 13, 2018
Boston would be a better match up for us. We beat them in 5 in 2018 and 2020. And Boston has only gotten worse on the blue line. NYI would pose another battle. Yes, we beat NYI last year. But it was Game 6 in OT. Yes, Point was out for all of NYI's wins and we did not have Stamkos. NYI was missing some fire power, too, plus they have added Palmieri (who is a great goal scorer) and Zajac. And recall that we benefited from the puzzling game 1 scheduling, putting NYI at a disadvantage. NYI of course has Trotz, who gives us fits behind the bench, with Barzal and Beauillier likely taking another step and playing better this year. Overall, do I think we beat NYI? Yes. It will, however, be a war. And it likely goes 6 or 7 games. Bounces could go against us. So the boys better come ready to play.

PolishPrince21

Mar 4, 2015
LI
Coming in peace and assuming we finish the Bruins , you guys are 3-0 against us all time in the playoffs with each year the isles were the underdog and this year would be no different.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Oh shit we're going to have home ice for this series, aren't we?

Wild - road for rounds 1 and 2, home for round 3. That can't be too common.

Reactions: DaBolts

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Oh shit we're going to have home ice for this series, aren't we?

Wild - road for rounds 1 and 2, home for round 3. That can't be too common.
Yeah normally it takes some upsets, but this is mostly because of the different format I guess.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I want to spank Boston again. Nothing gives me greater pleasure as a hockey fan.

That would require them actually getting their shit together. The entertainment value of that alone is worth the watch. It's getting to the point where I'm starting to feel bad for Bergeron and Pastrnak because no matter how much weight they pull it's never enough. As far as Marchand goes, I can respect his stupid-great talent. Unless they wanna dig out a 2C to replace Krejci or bring him back and play for a Stanley Cup with both him and Bergeron at 36 years old, this is either the last ride for some very important members of that team or they've got like 1 more year left. I don't think it's over for good yet but changes are gonna have to be made for sure.

Last edited:

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Definitely Boston, Rask is banged up still and Carlo might be out for a while. Krecji isnt really a threat anymore.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Boston would be an easier matchup I think. Islanders are gonna be physical all series, but have less offensive weapons.

Both have shaky goaltending right now though.

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL
I think we're outsmarting ourselves if we're talking ourselves out of the Islanders solely on account of Trotz. Maybe I'm the wrong one, maybe I'm underestimating the impact of coaching (I don't think Boston's being coached by a bunch of slouches), but we have the deeper team than the Islanders in every front except for backup goaltender, and we have the high-end skill advantage as well. I rate Boston's high-end skill players above that of the Islanders, and I fear high-end skill players being able to make an impact the most of anything come this time of the year. I realize we haven't had too many problems with Boston, I suppose, but I would say the problems we had with both teams last year were about equal. The Islanders series was closer, but part of that is because we split the OT games against them whereas we won both OT games vs. Boston, and we played almost every game from Game 2 onward with either an injured Point or him out of the lineup. Injuries could happen again but we can't predict that and can't rely on that. For the time being, we can count on having a healthy Point and actually having Stamkos back in the lineup altogether. Islanders are probably a better team this year than last year, but so are we.

We should be either team, but I'm more comfortable with or odds of being too much for the Islanders to handle.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Do not underestimate Trotz. He is one of the 5 best coaches in the game right now. On top of that he has the ability to get every ounce out of every player. He took a young organization to there first years in the playoffs 5 years before they should have made it back then. He turned the capitols around and won a cup there. He has turned the Islanders around as well. Your darn right I would rather play Boston even with that dirty little bastard MArchant.

bigdaddio

Jan 22, 2019
My thought process on this is like the baddie in Princess Bride debating which chalice has the poison.

On one hand, I'd love to beat Boston again (f*** Boston). On the other, losing to Boston would be worse and ensuring they don't have a chance at the Cup is a plus. On the other hand the prospect of Cernak checking ratface into next week. On the other ratface slashing one of our stars and causing injury. On one hand having to listen to the Perfection Line from NBC. On the other fellating Barzal.

I can't make up my mind so let them figure it out.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Do not underestimate Trotz. He is one of the 5 best coaches in the game right now. On top of that he has the ability to get every ounce out of every player. He took a young organization to there first years in the playoffs 5 years before they should have made it back then. He turned the capitols around and won a cup there. He has turned the Islanders around as well. Your darn right I would rather play Boston even with that dirty little bastard MArchant.
While I agree about Torts, he can only do so much, its up to the players.

Coop has really done a 180 and become a great coach, he no longer gets "out-coached" like he used to. His defensive scheme strategy has really paid off for us. It also helps Coop has exercised his Demons now as well against Torts, Q, and I forget the 3rd.

I still like our chances against the Islanders, but man its gonna be a physical war again.

Reactions: DrMartinVanNostrand

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
My thought process on this is like the baddie in Princess Bride debating which chalice has the poison.

On one hand, I'd love to beat Boston again (f*** Boston). On the other, losing to Boston would be worse and ensuring they don't have a chance at the Cup is a plus. On the other hand the prospect of Cernak checking ratface into next week. On the other ratface slashing one of our stars and causing injury. On one hand having to listen to the Perfection Line from NBC. On the other fellating Barzal.

I can't make up my mind so let them figure it out.
We are destined for one of two evils:

1)THE PERFECTION LINE IS PERFECT! THEY ARE LITERALLY PERFECT ZOMG! TAMPA WHO?!>
2)BARZEL IS THE ABSOLUTE GOAT!!! LOOK AT THIS SPEEDY BOI!!! POINT WHO?!

The announcers will probably call our goalie Andrew

Reactions: TeslaCoilFan

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
PTSD from Trotz is strong on here lol
Yeah I feel like not enough credit is being given to the actual Capitals team there if we're going to give Trotz so much credit. I thought it was pretty self evident last year that he isn't some insane warlock that can destroy any team with his system. He still needs the talent to beat a contender like ours, and I'm not sure the Isles have enough.

Reactions: DrMartinVanNostrand

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad