Post-Game Talk: 2021 NHL Playoffs - Round 2: Tampa Bay Lightning vs. Carolina Hurricanes

My Magic 8 Ball says...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
I think you are indeed missing the strategic chess. Both teams are trying very hard to not make mistakes and to pounce when the other team does. Our pouncers are better, and our goalie is better.
Did you enjoy that game?

BoltSTH

Sep 4, 2008
Tampa
Big Cat pouncing
8294acce0724da20e2c6708334bd9a58.jpg

Reactions: DaBolts

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
You really watched that series and think defense and grit from their secondary players is what cost them? You really just like to make stupid points.

Yeahh they really could've used a Coleman to win them that series :eyeroll:
Yes they could have used Coleman. Their depth players

Thornton, Simmonds, Gally are terrible depth players. Their defense of Holl, Brodie, Dermott, Sandin, Bogosian were god awful. You think that’s a good group?

The team is Top heavy with their bad contracts. How can you not see that their depth sucks? You’re flat out wrong dude.

Thanks for defending it by saying I post stupid takes.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Yes they could have used Coleman. Their depth players

Thornton, Simmonds, Gally are terrible depth players. Their defense of Holl, Brodie, Dermott, Sandin, Bogosian were god awful. You think that’s a good group?

The team is Top heavy with their bad contracts. How can you not see that their depth sucks? You’re flat out wrong dude.

Thanks for defending it by saying I post stupid takes.

You actually watched the series and came to the conclusion that depth and a defense that allowed 2 goals against per game was why they lost? The only team that allowed less goals in round 1 was Colorado but forgot games are played on paper.

22m combined for 1 goal in a series that went to 7 games and your 2 highest paid players being 4th/6th in team scoring seems kinda stands out to me but sure lets go with depth and "god awful" defense, lets knock them on goaltending while we're at it.

Reactions: The Macho King

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Outside of Nylander nobody showed up from their top six. Depth or defense or goaltending was not their issue. Coaching? Now that’s something to look into. They ran into a brick wall and didn’t change things up.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
They certainly could have done better than Thornton and Simmonds. We tried the over-the-hill vet route a couple times.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Outside of Nylander nobody showed up from their top six. Depth or defense or goaltending was not their issue. Coaching? Now that’s something to look into. They ran into a brick wall and didn’t change things up.

That certainly looked like Washington vs Tampa where the other team just had you figured out at 4 games and you lose despite having the series lead.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
That certainly looked like Washington vs Tampa where the other team just had you figured out at 4 games and you lose despite having the series lead.
Yeah it’s a little dejavu from our early runs. But worse lol.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Yeah it’s a little dejavu from our early runs. But worse lol.

The worst thing about what's going on with the Leafs is that the bar is SO low. I mean, we were going on a lot of deep runs and losing, often to the eventual Cup winner. The last time Toronto won a playoff round, only a couple of their players were even in the NHL. A single round. TB has two cups in that time.

But man, it goes way back. After seeing Kucherov had a healthy lead on TB's all time playoff scoring, I looked up the Leafs. Their all time leader is Doug Gilmour with just 77 points.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
We won game 3, 4 and 5.

Yeah? And Toronto lost game 1, won 3 and lost 3. I didn't mean a literal depiction of the series.... both teams had no answer at the end of the series despite having the lead and ability to close out.

Reactions: Hoek

bov

Nov 13, 2010
We got away with one today. Not great hockey but we benefitted from some PP's while Carolina shit the bed, plus a rare "bad" game from Vasy. He should be up to the task in game 5, win or lose I think we'll see more of a sharp, shutdown effort in Carolina. We haven't looked all that great but Carolina hasn't impressed me either, and I do like the way we have locked things down with the lead. In fairness to them, they are dealing with some key injuries, but once I saw them against Nashville I was less worried about this series. Like I've said for years now, that team has no X factor/wild card and I hope we put away this bland team in 5 so we can get back to some actual playoff hockey.

Yes, the 2nd period had action but not good hockey overall imo, and we were fortunate the Canes lacked discipline there and choked it away. Going from this (if we win, of course) to a team like Boston or NYI will be a rude awakening if we are at the same level as today, but I'm hopeful things get back on track. Ideally we finish in 5 and Isles/Bruins continue to beat each other up.

BoltzManConstant

Mar 8, 2017
Upper West Side
Yeah? And Toronto lost game 1, won 3 and lost 3. I didn't mean a literal depiction of the series.... both teams had no answer at the end of the series despite having the lead and ability to close out.

Again, you said "Washington vs Tampa where the other team just had you figured out at 4 games". We won games 3, 4 and 5. I can't know what you think happened in game 4 and later, but it certainly wasn't the Caps "just figuring us out". We got two of our three wins in that span.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Again, you said "Washington vs Tampa where the other team just had you figured out at 4 games". We won games 3, 4 and 5. I can't know what you think happened in game 4 and later, but it certainly wasn't the Caps "just figuring us out". We got two of our three wins in that span.

Yeah, but the Caps most definitely had us figured out. Even though it was a seven game series, it felt like we needed a lucky break to win. We got breaks, and then we didn't.

I think the most impressive thing about this year and last year is it looks like Cooper has really grown as a coach. But at the time, he had no answer for Trotz other than to hope our stars could break through.

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
The worst thing about what's going on with the Leafs is that the bar is SO low. I mean, we were going on a lot of deep runs and losing, often to the eventual Cup winner. The last time Toronto won a playoff round, only a couple of their players were even in the NHL. A single round. TB has two cups in that time.

But man, it goes way back. After seeing Kucherov had a healthy lead on TB's all time playoff scoring, I looked up the Leafs. Their all time leader is Doug Gilmour with just 77 points.

Think about Toronto if it were still the Atlantic and things were normal.

They will have to go through Montreal, Florida, and Tampa just to even sniff the playoffs. It doesn't look good for those teams who think that platooning goaltenders is a winning strategy or will succeed in the modern era.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad