Post-Game Talk: 2021 NHL Playoffs - Round 2: Tampa Bay Lightning vs. Carolina Hurricanes

My Magic 8 Ball says...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL
So, for the Lightning so far this postseason, here's some numbers:

Even strength goals for: 19*
Power play goals: 14
Shorthanded goals: 1
Empty net goals: 2

Even strength goals against: 16*
Power play goals against: 8 + 1 goal allowed 5v6
Shorthanded goals: 0
Empty net goals: 1

*subtracting the empty net goals scored in both cases

During the regular season, the Lightning averaged 2.44 GF at even strength per game. They allowed an average of 2.02. The postseason numbers, unsurprisingly, are down for both. 1.9 GF and 1.6 GA.

What do these numbers mean? I dunno, draw your own conclusions. I brought these up blind, not knowing what hid behind the curtain. Obviously the power play goal discrepancy, especially in this series (6 vs. 3) has been significant in terms of where we are now. And, obviously, the Lightning are icing a roster with Kucherov now which they weren't during the regular season. For whatever it's worth, they averaged 2.4 goals at even strength in the 2020 playoffs. I guess what I'm suggesting, and hoping for, is that there is room for improvement at even strength, which we can probably expect to happen, and that they have gotten where they are without firing close to all cylinders 5v5 is a great sign in itself. At the same time, they scored 17 PPGs last year and are already at 14 in less than half the games this year. Again, they do have Stamkos this year, which helps, but as I've said several times, no team runs a 41% power play for an entire postseason. McDrai was 27.59% this year to lead the league, so you know that number will go down eventually, so we're going to need at 5v5 improvement to happen soon enough. We might get past Carolina as things currently are, but getting past NYI/Boston and Las Vegas/Colorado after will be very tough without it.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
Colorado isn't that far from potentially being down 3-1 in this series. Las Vegas has been the better team the last three games. Even if they fail to win this series, at least they've provided something of a blueprint and at least worn them down a little bit. Then again, whoever wins this series should (in theory) basically be getting a free ticket into the SCF by facing the Habs, so how much they'll actually be worn down remains to be seen.
We should be hoping for an AVS win in 7 games. The knights will most likely be more difficult

Reactions: U55 and DaBolts

U55

Apr 9, 2019
Tampa, Florida
We should be hoping for an AVS win in 7 games. The knights will most likely be more difficult
For sure. The avs look like an easy win IMO. Isles look annoying along with the knights. Habs actually could hang with the knights because of price. Knights struggle to score even though they dominate possession.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
For sure. The avs look like an easy win IMO. Isles look annoying along with the knights. Habs actually could hang with the knights because of price. Knights struggle to score even though they dominate possession.
Lets hope Montreal beats either Vegas or Colorado.

Colorado seems too dangerous though, they've gone cold right now though

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
I'm liking our odds at the moment. It comes down to matchup. How well does a team play against their opponent. Sure Montreal probably won't win but I can see them making the finals now. Vegas and Colorado are going at least two more games. We wrap this up tomorrow and prepare for the isles/Bruins I really like our chance at repeating.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
So, for the Lightning so far this postseason, here's some numbers:

Even strength goals for: 19*
Power play goals: 14
Shorthanded goals: 1
Empty net goals: 2

Even strength goals against: 16*
Power play goals against: 8 + 1 goal allowed 5v6
Shorthanded goals: 0
Empty net goals: 1

*subtracting the empty net goals scored in both cases

During the regular season, the Lightning averaged 2.44 GF at even strength per game. They allowed an average of 2.02. The postseason numbers, unsurprisingly, are down for both. 1.9 GF and 1.6 GA.

What do these numbers mean? I dunno, draw your own conclusions. I brought these up blind, not knowing what hid behind the curtain. Obviously the power play goal discrepancy, especially in this series (6 vs. 3) has been significant in terms of where we are now. And, obviously, the Lightning are icing a roster with Kucherov now which they weren't during the regular season. For whatever it's worth, they averaged 2.4 goals at even strength in the 2020 playoffs. I guess what I'm suggesting, and hoping for, is that there is room for improvement at even strength, which we can probably expect to happen, and that they have gotten where they are without firing close to all cylinders 5v5 is a great sign in itself. At the same time, they scored 17 PPGs last year and are already at 14 in less than half the games this year. Again, they do have Stamkos this year, which helps, but as I've said several times, no team runs a 41% power play for an entire postseason. McDrai was 27.59% this year to lead the league, so you know that number will go down eventually, so we're going to need at 5v5 improvement to happen soon enough. We might get past Carolina as things currently are, but getting past NYI/Boston and Las Vegas/Colorado after will be very tough without it.
For what it's worth, our 5v5 analytics have looked a lot better the past two games. Hopefully that trend continues.

Reactions: DrMartinVanNostrand

Fan from AK

May 19, 2021
Alaska
More salt from Carolina and that POS Dougie Hamilton of all people. That same motherhubbord that slew footed Stammer and broke his leg.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad