GDT: 2021 NHL Free Agency & Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Am I the only one that thinks Saad wasn't that important to the team? He was alright in the regular season but he shot at an insane shooting % in the playoffs, how many fluke goals did he score in the playoffs? That's not sustainable.

Nope, I'm in that same boat as well. I think he was good at times but also really streaky during the regular season. Him, Kadri and Burakovsky would go on these insane runs and then nothing for like 6-7 games. That's tough. He was good in the playoffs though, no doubt about that but his performance likely priced him outside our range.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I'd like to see an upgrade on Kadri, personally. He started out the year ok but that drought he had was abysmal and concerning. Would love a guy like Bo Horvat instead of Kadri. Then the #3C can be addressed at the TDL - if needed.

I wanted Horvat instead of Kadri too, but if we can get the 2019-20 Kadri that scored at a 31 goal 58 point pace, and then put up 9 goals and 18 points in 15 playoff games, without getting suspended, that's a pretty damn good 2C.

I just think the concern over Kadri is over blown and it's given life to this new narrative that the Avs center depth is a big problem. He got in a goal slump in a weird shortened season and then had one shift where he lost his head and got suspended.

Maybe those things happen again, but if I'm a betting man, I'm betting they don't in his contract year when he's trying to prove to all the other teams he deserves one last big contract.

I think there's just as big or maybe even a bigger chance Kadri has a career year next season, rather than one like last year.

Reactions: burgundynblue

nammerus

Mar 9, 2003
Visit site
Call me crazy, but I think I would rather take a run at both Casey Cizikas and Tyler Bozak as UFA's before I bring back Brandon Saad.

Package Jost with JTC for something. Literally anything. Run MacKinnon/Kadri/Bozak/Cizikas down the middle, whichever of Bozak/Cizikas looks better gets the 3C role but both are primary penalty killers and taking every single defensive zone faceoff. I'm talking there isn't a faceoff in our zone outside of icing where one of those two isn't on the ice.

Perhaps I'm reaching here, but I have faith in Newhook stepping into the 2LW slot more than I do a Jost/Maltsev tandem at 3C and 4C.

This x 1000. And it’s a lot easier to get a winger to play in the top 6 at the deadline then a C.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Call me crazy, but I think I would rather take a run at both Casey Cizikas and Tyler Bozak as UFA's before I bring back Brandon Saad.

Package Jost with JTC for something. Literally anything. Run MacKinnon/Kadri/Bozak/Cizikas down the middle, whichever of Bozak/Cizikas looks better gets the 3C role but both are primary penalty killers and taking every single defensive zone faceoff. I'm talking there isn't a faceoff in our zone outside of icing where one of those two isn't on the ice.

Perhaps I'm reaching here, but I have faith in Newhook stepping into the 2LW slot more than I do a Jost/Maltsev tandem at 3C and 4C.

If you have faith in Newhook holding his own as a 2nd line wing, then he should be able to start as 3C.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Problem with making any deals is the Avs have no 1st or 2nd rounders this year
A key reason why the Avs are worse with Kuemper… roughly the same at goalie. Less to spend to improve the team. With that though, there are still pieces to move, they just hurt more.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Another idea:

- Alex Newhook + Pavel Francouz + JT Compher + 2023 1st for Georgiev + Zibanejad(1.35M retained)

- Sign Tatar 1x3M
- Sign Hakenpaa 1x1.5M
- Sign Ondrej Kase 1x750k
- Sign Jost 1x1.75M

Landy - Mack - Mikko
Nuke - Kadri - Burakovsky
Tatar - Zibaejad - Kase
Maltsev - Jost - O'Connor
Sherwood

Toews - Makar
Girard - EJ
Byram - Hakanpaa
MacDermid

Kuemper
Georgiev

hughdreamz

Jun 24, 2006
Michigan
Another idea:

- Alex Newhook + Pavel Francouz + JT Compher + 2023 1st for Georgiev + Zibanejad(1.35M retained)

- Sign Tatar 1x3M
- Sign Hakenpaa 1x1.5M
- Sign Ondrej Kase 1x750k
- Sign Jost 1x1.75M

Landy - Mack - Mikko
Nuke - Kadri - Burakovsky
Tatar - Zibaejad - Kase
Maltsev - Jost - O'Connor
Sherwood

Toews - Makar
Girard - EJ
Byram - Hakanpaa
MacDermid

Kuemper
Georgiev

NO.

Avaholic29

Feb 5, 2014
A key reason why the Avs are worse with Kuemper… roughly the same at goalie. Less to spend to improve the team. With that though, there are still pieces to move, they just hurt more.

less to spend with kuemper? We have more, the part that hurts is we will be in the same boat next year when kuemper puts up vezina numbers.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
DeBrusk is still out there. Kadri might have to let him return the favour for them to coexist but he could be an option if the Avs have any assets to trade.

Reactions: dahrougem2

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
less to spend with kuemper? We have more, the part that hurts is we will be in the same boat next year when kuemper puts up vezina numbers.
The 22 1st and Timmins can’t be used as trade pieces to improve other parts of the team. If Grubi had been re-signed, they could have been packaged up for a forward instead of a goalie.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
If you have faith in Newhook holding his own as a 2nd line wing, then he should be able to start as 3C.
I don't believe that to be the case. They're entirely different positions and responsibilities. I'm fine with Newhook playing wing with Kadri in the middle, I'm not fine with Newhook playing 3rd line centre.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I don't believe that to be the case. They're entirely different positions and responsibilities. I'm fine with Newhook playing wing with Kadri in the middle, I'm not fine with Newhook playing 3rd line centre.

Newhook is going to play a bigger role and have higher expectations for his production on the 2nd line, than he would as 3C though.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
What options are even available for a 2C?

Kuznetsov, Eichel, Monahan, Johansen.

Possibly guys with 1 year left as well like Zibanejad, Couturier, Hertl.

The question is whether the Avs A) Consider upgrading the Center position an important need right now, and B) Whether they'll actually pay the price for a quality Center upgrade.

At this point it's gonna cost Newhook+ to get a high end player. We don't have the assets anymore to make anything work otherwise.

I have my doubts if the Avs will actually go that all in, which makes this Kuemper trade even worse.

Reactions: Perratrooper

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Kuznetsov, Eichel, Monahan, Johansen.

Possibly guys with 1 year left as well like Zibanejad, Couturier, Hertl.

The question is whether the Avs A) Consider upgrading the Center position an important need right now, and B) Whether they'll actually pay the price for a quality Center upgrade.

At this point it's gonna cost Newhook+ to get a high end player. We don't have the assets anymore to make anything work otherwise.

I have my doubts if the Avs will actually go that all in, which makes this Kuemper trade even worse.
I think there are a few ways outside of Newhook to ale it work, but it will hurt to make that trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad