GDT: 2021 NHL Free Agency & Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Which center would you go after? Presumably Cizikas and Bozak would be strong considerations? Possibly both?
Bozak or Saad? Who makes a bigger impact?
Neither… spend assets and get a guy with 3-4 years on a decent deal or under team control. Avs made a move that only ends positive in one way. Double down. Don’t half measure it now on a crappy ufa.

Reactions: Richard88

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
IMO with the cap space left Sakic will sign three guys at ~2M per. One dman and two forwards.

He already said that he doesnt want to put too much pressure on the kids to make the team, expect some new veteran bottom 6ers.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
So what if Seattle picks Compher over Donskoi, how much more happier we are right now? I'd say quite a bit.

Not that Dosnkois deal was amazing. It was good but better than Compher.

larueskee

Player/Member USA Hockey or affilates 1972-2006
Mar 15, 2017
Seattle, WA
Man, Timmons was really coming along nicely. Hope MacRonald comes back like he was before he left. That guy was money. EJ is a head injury victim and that is just the latest injury. So I'm more than concerned about the defense as is than I was last year. Byram has to play 70 games and for a 20 year old thats a big ask. Girard is going to have to play some bodies this year but he might break if he does. Every year the defensive turnover on the Avs is staggering. That is what happens when a former forward runs your team. Did I mention Grubs leaving ? Interesting to see how Keumper plays with the new and improved defense.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Neither… spend assets and get a guy with 3-4 years on a decent deal or under team control. Avs made a move that only ends positive in one way. Double down. Don’t half measure it now on a crappy ufa.

We need names.

I don’t doubt these players exist, but curious to hear some random ideas.

We are talking about cost-controlled for 3-4 years and I assume as a 3C behind MacK/Kadri then push for the 2C spot next summer?

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Leave JTC by the side of the road and get Saad back!

Scored 7 goals in the playoffs! That's second to MacK.

And his mentality seems to be spot on. The guy knows what it takes to win and shows up in playoffs. Players we need. Someone who steps up their game when it matters, not the opposite.

Reactions: AvsWraith

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
So basically - short of making a crazy trade for Jack Eichel, there are 2 moves I'd like to see the Avs make :

Trade for Filip Forsberg

Package up Compher + Kaut + 2nd round pick or even a 2023 1st round pick to make it happen. Sakic has held on to his late 1st round picks the last two years at the TDL when he probably should have been spending them on some help. This is no different than waiting at the TDL to do it but word is Forsberg isn't happy in Nashville and might not re-sign - it's time to pounce.

Sign Corey Perry (excuse-me, I think I need to take a shower after typing that )

1 year - $1.2M

He's one of my least favourite players in the league but to suggest that he's not a great asset in the playoffs is just plain, flat-out wrong. He was the biggest pain in the ass against us in the bubble and was more of the same for the Habs this past playoffs. We just don't have enough of these types of players and he shouldn't cost the moon to sign.

I would feel very differently about this off-season if those two moves were to happen. Leaves a bit of room to add another depth player as well.

You can then see how Jost plays in the #3C spot - maybe Newhook gets a look there as well and then address it at the TDL if needed.

Attachments

• Avs-GO.png
    Avs-GO.png
    59.9 KB · Views: 3

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
So what kind of assets exactly would it cost to land that? Especially without our 1st and Timmins....

Byram?

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
We need names.

I don’t doubt these players exist, but curious to hear some random ideas.

We are talking about cost-controlled for 3-4 years and I assume as a 3C behind MacK/Kadri then push for the 2C spot next summer?
on my phone and it keeps refreshing… not talking 3C guys. 1c/2C that push Kadri down. Cooter, Eichel (have to clear salary in deal for sure there), Kuznetsov, or lower end Hintz, Lindstrom
So what kind of assets exactly would it cost to land that? Especially without our 1st and Timmins....

Byram?
Byram, Newhook, Toews, any non core guy/asset.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Putting these two specific players out of the discussion, many people would disagree with you on that roster spot evaluation.

1C
2C
1Ws
3C
2Ws
3Ws
4C
4Ws

Most would probably go with that order of forward priority.

I think that's a mistake when you have a MacKinnon-Kadri 1-2 combo and a promising center prospect.

If you have an average 1C, then maybe, but when you have a top 3 player in the world at 1C, and a decent 2C, and a former 16th overall center that has progressed well, and you're looking for secondary scoring so you can keep the top line together, then Saad/Newhook helps you a hell of a lot more than Bozak/Nuke.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton

Not sure why there's so much doom and gloom in here. Yes you can say that Sakic overpaid but it's not like the team is worse than it was last year. The late 1st is years away and Timmins is like a 5th or 6th D. We still have the cap space to sign a top 9 forward.

Everyone asked for an all in move and here it is. Sakic basically paid a 1st and Timmins for extra cap space to sign a better player and get the arguably better goalie.

Reactions: Foote8

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
Not sure why there's so much doom and gloom in here. Yes you can say that Sakic overpaid but it's not like the team is worse than it was last year. The late 1st is years away and Timmins is like a 5th or 6th D. We still have the cap space to sign a top 9 forward.

If Sakic can get Saad back and add Hakanpaa I’ll be ok with this offseason

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
If Sakic can get Saad back and add Hakanpaa I’ll be ok with this offseason
Am I the only one that thinks Saad wasn't that important to the team? He was alright in the regular season but he shot at an insane shooting % in the playoffs, how many fluke goals did he score in the playoffs? That's not sustainable.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
I think that's a mistake when you have a MacKinnon-Kadri 1-2 combo and a promising center prospect.

If you have an average 1C, then maybe, but when you have a top 3 player in the world at 1C, and a decent 2C, and you're looking for secondary scoring so you can keep the top line together, then Saad/Newhook helps you a hell of a lot more than Bozak/Nuke.

I'd like to see an upgrade on Kadri, personally. He started out the year ok but that drought he had was abysmal and concerning. Would love a guy like Bo Horvat instead of Kadri. Then the #3C can be addressed at the TDL - if needed.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
Am I the only one that thinks Saad wasn't that important to the team? He was alright in the regular season but he shot at an insane shooting % in the playoffs, how many fluke goals did he score in the playoffs? That's not sustainable.

Reason for me is Saad is a known playoff performer, we can get by without him doing much in the regular season. I’d prefer him over the opposite in Tatar (which seems like a possibility)

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
So basically - short of making a crazy trade for Jack Eichel, there are 2 moves I'd like to see the Avs make :

Trade for Filip Forsberg

Package up Compher + Kaut + 2nd round pick or even a 2023 1st round pick to make it happen. Sakic has held on to his late 1st round picks the last two years at the TDL when he probably should have been spending them on some help. This is no different than waiting at the TDL to do it but word is Forsberg isn't happy in Nashville and might not re-sign - it's time to pounce.

Sign Corey Perry (excuse-me, I think I need to take a shower after typing that )

1 year - $1.2M

He's one of my least favourite players in the league but to suggest that he's not a great asset in the playoffs is just plain, flat-out wrong. He was the biggest pain in the ass against us in the bubble and was more of the same for the Habs this past playoffs. We just don't have enough of these types of players and he shouldn't cost the moon to sign.

I would feel very differently about this off-season if those two moves were to happen. Leaves a bit of room to add another depth player as well.

You can then see how Jost plays in the #3C spot - maybe Newhook gets a look there as well and then address it at the TDL if needed.
This would be pretty ideal, would address some issues.

BobRossColton

Jun 27, 2011
Denver
Traded JTC,bowers 2023 2nd for Blake lizotte. After a bit of hf kings and research, I might've overpaid for lizotte
Screenshot_20210728-220025.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad