GDT: 2021 NHL Free Agency July 28 12pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
I think what we're experiencing is a lot of people who heard the word rebuild and expected certain things. Flat out tanking, blowing up the old core completely and trading anyone over say 26/27 for younger assets and hopefully striking gold with multiple top 5 picks. In reality you just simply don't do that when you have 2 HOF guys desiring to win cups for your team and here we are with what no one would consider a "rebuild" per se, but in some ways they did rebuild. Only shame is they didn't get a top 5 pick more than once during the past few seasons.
He also explicitly kept saying this is continuing the path from what they were doing since 2017, which he kept selling as long term contract security which always ring to me as retool/rebuild

Reactions: d rake

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
100%

When people here were talking about “the rebuild” and still penciling in Kane, it was cringe worthy.

When all these moves were made and they were posting the “we’re going to play the young guys” email on Twitter, I mean they did play the young guys last year in the throw away season. Didn’t say they were gonna keep throwing away seasons.

I stand by my opinion that a lot of fans here are bandwagon fans who became fans when the Hawks started winning Cups and have no clue how to rebuild a team.

I also stated the Hawks, and this was months ago, weren’t looking for a forward with their first pick in the draft while pundits were spewing Fabian frigging Lysell ad nausea

I’m glad most of this forum has me on ignore
You also stated the Hawks were going after Colton Dach with their 1st, and last I checked, he was not a defenseman.

#Fraud #WhereYoTwitch@

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Oh yeah there's no way it's a top 10 team right now.

I'm just asking if we think they make the playoffs, not if they're a legit contender.

I think they fight for a wildcard spot, helped out by the fact that the Pacific is liable to have at least 3-4 teams even worse than them.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012

Looks like what we have is what we get, unless the Hawks make a deal of Strome for a reclamation D.

I was one of the first people here on the Murray train but it isn't a big deal. The best ability is availability and Murray hasn't been healthy in a while (Hawks have enough guys like that as it is). I'm good with them letting Kalynuk and others grow into that role. Here's a good article about Murray's back issues too (we also have one of those on the team whose already had back surgery in Murphy)

2019-20 Player Review: Ryan Murray has ability, but not availability

His offense never came around from where he was drafted and his potential at the time, but when healthy, he's a very good defensive defenseman.

Reactions: Hattrick Kane

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
Murray is going to be 3rd pair guy on Colorado, which is exactly the position he should be in.

He could have helped the Hawks at that number, but I think he has his eyes on a cup.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
No good LHD in free agency now.

McCabe is gonna be the only guy we can rely on right now to play a top 4 role.

Kalynuk or Beaudin have to take a big step because Jones Jr and Stillman can't play in the top 4.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014

Kalynuk or Beaudin have to take a big step because Jones Jr and Stillman can't play in the top 4.

DeHaan can bounce back. He really wasnt even as bad as some on this forum claimed.

If the team cant get what they want for him in a trade, they’ll keep him.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
DeHaan can bounce back. He really wasnt even as bad as some on this forum claimed.

Reports were they were trying to trade him, so it doesn't really seem like they want him in their plans for the D lineup.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland

At end of season Stillman was playing more then Kalynuk

I suspect JC and Bowman will have him slotted into 2nd pairing LD spot

Reactions: Muffinalt

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
At end of season Stillman was playing more then Kalynuk

I suspect JC and Bowman will have him slotted into 2nd pairing LD spot
Stillman was more experienced and better defensively.

But if McCabe-Murphy is a defined shutbdown 2nd pairing. I could see Kalynuk getting the shot at playing a lot with Jones being the fast guy to jump up offensively with Jones.

ozzzie19

May 13, 2015
I think what we're experiencing is a lot of people who heard the word rebuild and expected certain things. Flat out tanking, blowing up the old core completely and trading anyone over say 26/27 for younger assets and hopefully striking gold with multiple top 5 picks. In reality you just simply don't do that when you have 2 HOF guys desiring to win cups for your team and here we are with what no one would consider a "rebuild" per se, but in some ways they did rebuild. Only shame is they didn't get a top 5 pick more than once during the past few seasons.
Exactly. Stan’s “rebuild” was to stop signing the Kuntizs of the world and instead let young guys get minutes.

A real rebuild would have meant trading current assets for future assets. Aside for TD Lehner/Janmark trades netting mid-round picks, that didn’t happen here. Unfortunately, when Stan decided to rebuild, the pandemic hit, revenue tanked, and all his assets were either super expensive (Kane), super expensive and injured (Toews), super expensive and play significantly dropped off (Keith) or all of that (Seabrook).

So Stan was in a rough spot. He couldn’t do a true rebuild because none of his current assets could be turned into future assets. He could either stand pat with playing young guys and playing out the rest of the Kane/Toews years in mediocrity stuck just outside of the playoff picture and not drafting high enough to get elite young talent or he could push all his chips in the middle and go for it.

Reactions: Cowch

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012

I'm not slagging on the guy because I know he's played hurt and is doing his best despite all of his injury issues but DeHaan was a pylon when facing speedier forwards.
Unless he somehow improved his agility he'll be a liability. He can't keep up when speedy players go wide on him, just like Seabrook at the end.

giza

Jul 19, 2011
No disrespect to DeHaan, but he looked like Seabrook in his final year----hoping he improves a bit---it's not like he's ancient---but he was a noticeable weak link on the D last year.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Exactly. Stan’s “rebuild” was to stop signing the Kuntizs of the world and instead let young guys get minutes.

A real rebuild would have meant trading current assets for future assets. Aside for TD Lehner/Janmark trades netting mid-round picks, that didn’t happen here. Unfortunately, when Stan decided to rebuild, the pandemic hit, revenue tanked, and all his assets were either super expensive (Kane), super expensive and injured (Toews), super expensive and play significantly dropped off (Keith) or all of that (Seabrook).

So Stan was in a rough spot. He couldn’t do a true rebuild because none of his current assets could be turned into future assets. He could either stand pat with playing young guys and playing out the rest of the Kane/Toews years in mediocrity stuck just outside of the playoff picture and not drafting high enough to get elite young talent or he could push all his chips in the middle and go for it.
The signing Kunitz world was the rebuilding process years, that doing nothing for the future but getting high picks path.

Reactions: Drumman44

Northernhawk

Feb 22, 2020
Looking back at the Nolan Allan and Colton Dach picks at 32 and 62...I believe those two players were in the Hawks radars pretrade with Columbus...Hawks were to pick 12, 44 and 62, they were probably targeting Allan at 44 so the ‘early’ grab at 32 was because they knew they comprimised that...Columbus picking Sillinger at 12 which Chicago may have targeted(I liked Lucius) would have meant Allan being hoped for at 44...he was a reach, kinda like Vlasic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad