GDT: 2021 NHL Free Agency July 28 12pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Leafs add Ritchie at 2x2.5.

Not as high on him, but not terrible.

Leafs are going to need a great pk to cover for his obscene penalty-taking tho.

Again, I like what Dubas has done this off-season, with the exception of exposing Mcaan instead of Kerfoot in the expansion draft.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Leafs add Ritchie at 2x2.5.

Not as high on him, but not terrible.

Leafs are going to need a great pk to cover for his obscene penalty-taking tho.

Again, I like what Dubas has done this off-season, with the exception of exposing Mcaan instead of Kerfoot in the expansion draft.
They exposed both

Reactions: JaegerDice

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
You’re right, my bad.

They protected Holl and used McCaan as a pick shield basically, threw somebody they knew Seattle wanted in front of their guy that Seattle wanted.

IMO they should have protected McCaan risk Seattle taking Holl.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Pretty shocked Ryan Murray is still out there

He is solid 2nd pairing dman

I know he has had issues staying healthy but on short term deal he would be good pickup for someone

Hell if we didn't have glut of Kalynuk , Stillman , Jones and CDH (Can play both sides) on left side i would want him

Hell if we could move Stillman I would be all over it (I assume we are stuck with CDH)

McCabe-Jones
Murray-Murphy
Kalynuk-CDH
Jones

Sadly its pretty clear Bowman is high on Stillman given he traded for him , extended him and protected him in ED

I expect Kalynuk or Stillman to be on 2nd pairing

WarLax

Apr 17, 2016
Pretty shocked Ryan Murray is still out there

He is solid 2nd pairing dman

I know he has had issues staying healthy but on short term deal he would be good pickup for someone

Hell if we didn't have glut of Kalynuk , Stillman , Jones and CDH (Can play both sides) on left side i would want him

Hell if we could move Stillman I would be all over it (I assume we are stuck with CDH)

McCabe-Jones
Murray-Murphy
Kalynuk-CDH
Jones

Sadly its pretty clear Bowman is high on Stillman given he traded for him , extended him and protected him in ED

I expect Kalynuk or Stillman to be on 2nd pairing

For what it's worth I don't know that it's a bad thing. Sure we've not had a "homegrown" defensemen in a while....but we've had a ton of guys have success after they've left us.

So it's not the choice in player thats a problem in many cases, it's having the requisite patience/timeline afforded to them.

We just need to exhibit more patience with the guys we've got and I'm sure some of them will hit.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
For what it's worth I don't know that it's a bad thing. Sure we've not had a "homegrown" defensemen in a while....but we've had a ton of guys have success after they've left us.

So it's not the choice in player thats a problem in many cases, it's having the requisite patience/timeline afforded to them.

We just need to exhibit more patience with the guys we've got and I'm sure some of them will hit.

I dont think much of Stillman or Jones so it doesn't bother me sending them packing

Frankly both are blocking a better player in Beaudin

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014

The philosophy is correct, but the players they're choosing to exhibit for are the wrong players.

If you're going to give up on Boqvist to pay Jones 9.5mil, giving up on Stillman (who has never shown much of anything) to take a flyer on Murray makes a lot of sense.

At some point this team has to stop being half-pregnant. If you're all in on the present, then do it. Murray clearly isn't going to cost you an arm or a leg. If you have to move Stillman to make room, then do it.

Boqvist should have been the one untouchable on D. Once you made him touchable, then everybody else you can find even moderately better alternatives for RIGHT NOW at a reasonable price should be moved out too.

Last edited:

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
The philosophy is correct, but the players they're choosing to exhibit for are the wrong players.

If you're going to give up on Boqvist to pay Jones 9.5mil, giving up on Stillman (who has never shown much of anything) to take a flyer on Murray makes a lot of sense.

At some point this team has to stop being half-pregnant. If you're all in on the present, then do it. Murray clearly isn't going to cost you an arm or a leg. If you have to move Stillman to make room, then do it.

Boqvist should have been the one untouchable on D. Once you made him touchable, then everybody else you can find even moderately better alternatives for at a reasonable price should be moved out to.
I may disagree with how you get there, but I agree with the sentiment.

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
So far it also looks like Kalynuk is no slouch either. It should be a competitive camp among the blue liners.

Agreed. He looks like a legit 3rd pairing guy, with upside. Good wheels, good composure, good hockey IQ. Another step forward (or two) and he'll be a Top 4 guy. Great signing.

One more thing: I think there's a pretty big gap between Kalynuk and Stillman and Jones. Jury is way out on those guys.

WarLax

Apr 17, 2016

Boqvist should have been the one untouchable on D. Once you made him touchable, then everybody else you can find even moderately better alternatives for RIGHT NOW at a reasonable price should be moved out too.

I agree with you there. As long as we keep some of our organizational depth I'm perfectly fine moving some of them out to make room for players that fit better right now.

Reactions: Kaners Bald Spot

Muffinalt

Mar 1, 2016
Hungary
I don't mind betting on Kalynuk/Stillman to take a step forward and become 4-5Ds. Like at all, they both showed good things.

Ideally it's only for one spot and not two like in our case but still.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Offseason moves aren't done, but what's the consensus here? Do we think this team makes the playoffs?

They've improved the D group, and got a Vezina goalie. Forwards have never really been a problem per se, but Toews and healthy Dach should be back in the mix and that alone makes us stronger up front.

Are the tank/rebuild days over?

Reactions: Muffinalt

stahl

Mar 26, 2011
The team should make the playoffs on paper. Given we were out by just 9 points last year while being down Toews, most of Dach and playing mainly rookies, I think things look good. Our D is better, our goalie situation has improved and with our Top 2 centers having hopefully a full year, we should do well.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Offseason moves aren't done, but what's the consensus here? Do we think this team makes the playoffs?

They've improved the D group, and got a Vezina goalie. Forwards have never really been a problem per se, but Toews and healthy Dach should be back in the mix and that alone makes us stronger up front.

Are the tank/rebuild days over?
Until we see the players not getting lost in our own zone, it's tough to say. It's an improvement, that's hard to deny, but is it from bottom 10, to bottom 20? Or to top 10. My money is on bottom 20 as of now.

Reactions: JaegerDice

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Until we see the players not getting lost in our own zone, it's tough to say. It's an improvement, that's hard to deny, but is it from bottom 10, to bottom 20? Or to top 10. My money is on bottom 20 as of now.
Oh yeah there's no way it's a top 10 team right now.

I'm just asking if we think they make the playoffs, not if they're a legit contender.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
Beaudin is better then Seth Jones?

Good lord.

I really hope they’re talking about Caleb

Cubs2024WSChamps

Apr 29, 2015
Did I miss where this was said….?
I’m hoping their talking about Caleb which even then is a stretch.

You would think this board would be excited the Hawks are actually on the upswing instead all I see is a lot of bitching and moaning

Reactions: BuddyTheGoon

Cowch

Jan 24, 2019
I’m hoping their talking about Caleb which even then is a stretch.

You would think this board would be excited the Hawks are actually on the upswing instead all I see is a lot of bitching and moaning
I think what we're experiencing is a lot of people who heard the word rebuild and expected certain things. Flat out tanking, blowing up the old core completely and trading anyone over say 26/27 for younger assets and hopefully striking gold with multiple top 5 picks. In reality you just simply don't do that when you have 2 HOF guys desiring to win cups for your team and here we are with what no one would consider a "rebuild" per se, but in some ways they did rebuild. Only shame is they didn't get a top 5 pick more than once during the past few seasons.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Apr 29, 2015
I think what we're experiencing is a lot of people who heard the word rebuild and expected certain things. Flat out tanking, blowing up the old core completely and trading anyone over say 26/27 for younger assets and hopefully striking gold with multiple top 5 picks. In reality you just simply don't do that when you have 2 HOF guys desiring to win cups for your team and here we are with what no one would consider a "rebuild" per se, but in some ways they did rebuild. Only shame is they didn't get a top 5 pick more than once during the past few seasons.
100%

When people here were talking about “the rebuild” and still penciling in Kane, it was cringe worthy.

When all these moves were made and they were posting the “we’re going to play the young guys” email on Twitter, I mean they did play the young guys last year in the throw away season. Didn’t say they were gonna keep throwing away seasons.

I stand by my opinion that a lot of fans here are bandwagon fans who became fans when the Hawks started winning Cups and have no clue how to rebuild a team.

I also stated the Hawks, and this was months ago, weren’t looking for a forward with their first pick in the draft while pundits were spewing Fabian frigging Lysell ad nausea

I’m glad most of this forum has me on ignore

Reactions: BuddyTheGoon
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad