Speculation: 2021 NHL Expansion Draft (Seattle)

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Forwards: Tkachuk, Norris, Batherson, L. Brown, Paul, C. Brown, ???
Exposed: White, do they take that contract? or Formenton? Tierney, Dadonov

Defense: Chabot, Brannstrom, ???
Exposed: not really out to lunch on anyone, don't think we have to protect Zub

Goalies: Murray
Exposed: Daccord, Hogberg

Not really sure who Seattle picks honestly. Kinda hope Hogberg goes... hog wild and warrants getting picked.
Formenton doesn’t need to be protected

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Some of you are going to be really mad when we protect Watson, C Brown, Paul, and Zaitsev.

This is how I see it playing out.

We have two players with basically built in protection due to their contracts. Matt Murray and Colin White

Players underlined and italics are being protected

Goalies
Murray
Gus
Hogberg
D'Accord

Murray isnt getting protected with how he has performed and that contract. D'Accord looks like he is going to take Hogbergs job and to me I could easily envision D'Accord as the G we protect. Hogberg and Gus have yet to show much of anything and every organization has some young unproven goalies they hope become something. Those two don't look special.

Dmen
Chabot
Zaitsev

Gudbranson
Coburn
Reilly
Brown
Wolanin

Chabot is a no brainer. Don't be upset about Zaitsev. Hear me out. He fits the mold of a "veteran player" who is on a decent contract. Remember that when we get to the forwards. Gudbranson is a UFA, Coburn is finished, and Brown is a 7th D. The question becomes Reilly vs Wolanin. I think the organization still loves Wolanin but his issues with injuries, inconsistencies and the seemingly endless love for Reilly from DJ really has me unsure. I went with Wolanin for now but its a toss up between him and Rielly.

Forwards
Tkachuk
Dadanov

Stepan
White
Anisimov
Brown
Tierney
Dzingle
Watson
Paul
L Brown
Batherson

Abramov
J Davidsson

I left some obvious forwards we won't be protecting off of the list. Tkachuk is a no brainer along with Batherson.

Paul, Watson, C Brown. 3 mid to vet forwards all under contract on super cheap contracts? Does that ring a bell anywhere? Because it should and its been management and ownerships mandate for years now.

Dadanov has not lived up to his contract yet, but its still early and should be protected.

I'd be shocked if we protect White. Sens have been trying to move him and his contract for a while now. He is an overpaid fringe 3rd liner at this point and his contract makes him safe from Seattle.

Tierney , Stepan and Anisimov can just go away, that should be obvious.

Unless L Brown is traded I think he is the 7th F we protect. The addition of Dzingle slightly complicates matters especially if he looks good AND we resign him. If Dzingle is a UFA at the expansion draft I highly doubt we protect him over Brown. Draft capital and upside should keep Brown protected.

Abramov and Davidsson have potential...but thats where they are at right now. Fringe NHL prospects like 31 other teams have.

Those are my "thoughts"
A lot of those players will be FA by the time the draft roles around.
Also. Have we been trying to trade white for “a while now”. I feel like there would have been a taker. Especially a while ago when he was a couple months removed for over .5 ppg.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
A lot of those players will be FA by the time the draft roles around.
Also. Have we been trying to trade white for “a while now”. I feel like there would have been a taker. Especially a while ago when he was a couple months removed for over .5 ppg.

Which of those players I listed are going to be FA by July 2021?

That's not enough to move him. In a cap world, teams are so much about cap in and cap out. Only way we can move White is with a similar bad contract coming back. No point to that, may as well and see if White can develop.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Which of those players I listed are going to be FA by July 2021?

That's not enough to move him. In a cap world, teams are so much about cap in and cap out. Only way we can move White is with a similar bad contract coming back. No point to that, may as well and see if White can develop.
Yeah...I agree with you. I just havent heard that they’re actively shopping him. You’d think it would squeak out somewhere.

well half the defense are FA. When is the expansion draft. Is it before FA season

Reactions: DJB

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Some of you are going to be really mad when we protect Watson, C Brown, Paul, and Zaitsev.

This is how I see it playing out.

We have two players with basically built in protection due to their contracts. Matt Murray and Colin White

Players underlined and italics are being protected

Goalies
Murray
Gus
Hogberg
D'Accord

Murray isnt getting protected with how he has performed and that contract. D'Accord looks like he is going to take Hogbergs job and to me I could easily envision D'Accord as the G we protect. Hogberg and Gus have yet to show much of anything and every organization has some young unproven goalies they hope become something. Those two don't look special.

Dmen
Chabot
Zaitsev

Gudbranson
Coburn
Reilly
Brown
Wolanin

Chabot is a no brainer. Don't be upset about Zaitsev. Hear me out. He fits the mold of a "veteran player" who is on a decent contract. Remember that when we get to the forwards. Gudbranson is a UFA, Coburn is finished, and Brown is a 7th D. The question becomes Reilly vs Wolanin. I think the organization still loves Wolanin but his issues with injuries, inconsistencies and the seemingly endless love for Reilly from DJ really has me unsure. I went with Wolanin for now but its a toss up between him and Rielly.

Forwards
Tkachuk
Dadanov

Stepan
White
Anisimov
Brown
Tierney
Dzingle
Watson
Paul
L Brown
Batherson

Abramov
J Davidsson

I left some obvious forwards we won't be protecting off of the list. Tkachuk is a no brainer along with Batherson.

Paul, Watson, C Brown. 3 mid to vet forwards all under contract on super cheap contracts? Does that ring a bell anywhere? Because it should and its been management and ownerships mandate for years now.

Dadanov has not lived up to his contract yet, but its still early and should be protected.

I'd be shocked if we protect White. Sens have been trying to move him and his contract for a while now. He is an overpaid fringe 3rd liner at this point and his contract makes him safe from Seattle.

Tierney , Stepan and Anisimov can just go away, that should be obvious.

Unless L Brown is traded I think he is the 7th F we protect. The addition of Dzingle slightly complicates matters especially if he looks good AND we resign him. If Dzingle is a UFA at the expansion draft I highly doubt we protect him over Brown. Draft capital and upside should keep Brown protected.

Abramov and Davidsson have potential...but thats where they are at right now. Fringe NHL prospects like 31 other teams have.

Those are my "thoughts"
Reilly is UFA. White will be protected over Watson IMO. If White was unprotected he would be selected. He is playing well and we would have no centre ice depth.

Norris, Tierney and L. Brown. Stuetzle is still a question mark. Terrifying prospect to me.

Slippy

Dec 8, 2005
highlytouted.ca
The forwards seem pretty straight...forward (really unintended pun), but D and Goalies are the interesting for me.

Chabot is the only D I really would have problems losing, but if forced to protect two more, probably Zaitsev and Wolanin/Rielly, but really could care less.

In net, I do not want to lose Daccord. I don't know how other organizations view him as a prospect, so can't say if he would get picked, but he would likely be the player I'd like most from available Sens based upon my evaluation.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Reilly is UFA. White will be protected over Watson IMO. If White was unprotected he would be selected. He is playing well and we would have no centre ice depth.

Norris, Tierney and L. Brown. Stuetzle is still a question mark. Terrifying prospect to me.

You are correct about Reilly. My mistake will edit post.

Again I'll be shocked if we protect White. Coaches and management love Watson and given this teams mandate to be as cheap as possible, I think we would love to move on from White and his contract.

Slippy

Dec 8, 2005
highlytouted.ca
You are correct about Reilly. My mistake will edit post.

Again I'll be shocked if we protect White. Coaches and management love Watson and given this teams mandate to be as cheap as possible, I think we would love to move on from White and his contract.

I can see how White's contract could be an issue as he will hopefully eventually get pushed the roster as more young guys on cheaper contracts push for spots, but if he continues to play like he has the past month, he would have value elsewhere around the league I think. As his play improves his contract is less of an issue.

I more worry that his contract will skew the potential to have locked other young players for cheaper than they could have. If the White deal didn't exist, and Batherson has the decent year he appears to be having, could they have resigned him for longer term. Something like 5-6 years for $3M-4M? I don't really know, but now he can say, "well I'm better than White, shouldn't I get more?"

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Bump.

What do you think Dzingel does to this?

If I'm not mistaken he will be a UFA, but if he looks good before the deadline do we extend him and protect him? Could he replace Connor Brown on the protected list?

This team can't afford to let go a defensive forward like Connor Brown. I mean, if we hope to not be terrible one day, you have to keep reliable players (even if they would fail on 99% of their breakaways)

It'd be the same kind of move as letting a steady reliable unspectacular guy like DeMelo go to have him replaced by a guy that hurts you a lot on the ice.

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
I would personally protect White just because he can play centre. I think a winger like Connor Brown would be easier to replace.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I would personally protect White just because he can play centre. I think a winger like Connor Brown would be easier to replace.

Strongly disagree. Fast, relentless, non stop motor, very good defensively, expert PKer, can provide good secondary scoring even if he doesn't finish on many of his chances, reasonnable salary, not old by any means (just turned 27 y/o)

Really, letting a guy like that unprotected to protect White, Tierney or Watson would be very stupid. I can't even see DJ Dorion screw up on that.

Also, White sucks on face-offs (46% career wise, 40.6% this year) so not an ideal center at all.

Reactions: BigRig4

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Forwards: Tkachuk, Norris, Batherson, L. Brown, Paul, White, Dzingel (signed - or can we wait to sign him and protect C. Brown); Exposed: Tierney, Dadonov, maybe C. Brown (see above) Someone here will be traded I think.

Defense: Chabot, Brannstrom, Zub if we have to, otherwise Wolanin

Goalies: Daccord; Exposed: Murrray, Hogberg

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Goalies
Murray
Gus
Hogberg
D'Accord

Dmen
Chabot
Zaitsev

Gudbranson
Coburn
Reilly
Brown
Wolanin

Forwards
Tkachuk
Dadanov

Stepan
White
Anisimov
Brown
Tierney
Dzingle
Watson
Paul
L Brown
Batherson

Abramov
J Davidsson

Nailed it.

If I am a betting man, I think we easily make a move for a defender that is going to be exposed for another team and deal them White and or L.Brown. Just makes way, way too much sense.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Yeh, I've since heard this answer a couple of times :P

Does that mean Brannstrom doesn't need to be protected either since they are also on their ELC?

Kind of correct. Here is the rule:

• All first-year and second-year NHL players, and all unsigned draft choices, will be exempt from selection (and will not be counted toward protection limits).
Brannstrom has basically less than 2 seasons(this projected to be his second), so he's exempt.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad