Speculation: 2021 NHL Expansion Draft (Seattle)

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Are we forced to protect players with modified NTC? Or do they get the option to approve or deny being included in draft if asked by the team. Zaitsev and Ryan both have modified NTC.

My understanding is it's the same rules as the vegas draft in which only full no movement clauses needed to be protected, and Ryan's deal specifically had language that allowed us to expose him.

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
I want to know who Ottawa projects protecting now that the Off-Season shenanigans are over with.
Maybe Ottawa is thinking about trading L.Brown with fear of losing him in the ED?

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Ottawa can easily protect 7F that matter ... say

brady, brown, bath, Tierney, Paul,
Maybe Dadonov, Watson, White

But they do have to expose 2 that played the minimal threshold of games and are under contract for next season - that’s a tougher list.

I think two of
Watson ? White ? Dadonov will have to be exposed unless we sign someone else ? Or Chaplik gets a tonne of games. Am I missing a contract ?

Stuzchuk

Mar 25, 2009
Eastern Canada
I think, that they'll protect J.Brown over Zaitsev to see if SEA will bite... but I dont think that will work, SEA will pick N. Paul or Joey D'Accord

(2021 UFAs removed)

upload_2021-2-8_13-14-50.png

Last edited:

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
Trade Tieney, protect Paul?

Yes for sure. We have these guys among others, so it seems like absolutely the right time to trade him(at the deadline). Should get a decent return IMO.
I like him just fine but if we are going to keep a guy like him it needs to be a better version who is unquestionably a #2 guy. Tierney is like a Todd White #2, nice player but when it’s time to get serious in the top 6 I don’t think he can be your longterm solution. We have at least one of our top 2 spots spoken for, and lots of bottom six options who cost less so IMO the fit becomes less good going forward into next year.

Norris
Brown
White
Pinto

Reactions: Xspyrit

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
We can’t leave Nick Paul unprotected.
Also....do we really need to protect Murray?
Frankly I’d rather protect Daccord and take my chances with Murray.

Exactly, protecting Tierney above Nick Paul would be short sighted.

And agreed with Murray. If he doesn't provide top notch goaltending, they won't take him anyway

If he rebounds to elite status then you protect him, we'll see

Reactions: Wondercarrot

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
But at same time, they better not pick Daccord, that's the guy im more worried about.

I wouldn't worry too much about him getting taken unless he comes in this season and is lights out. Most teams have their own Joey Daccord that will be unprotected. I don't see any realistic scenario where you don't protect Matt Murray.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I wouldn't worry too much about him getting taken unless he comes in this season and is lights out. Most teams have their own Joey Daccord that will be unprotected. I don't see any realistic scenario where you don't protect Matt Murray.
Jake Allen will be the Seattle starter. You can take a risk and expose Murray because I can’t see him being grabbed as a backup.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Jake Allen will be the Seattle starter. You can take a risk and expose Murray because I can’t see him being grabbed as a backup.

Maybe. There's some other good goaltenders who will be available as well. I'm hopeful Daccord can be a solid back up in the future but to this point he has one season of pro experience, what exactly are you protecting. No reason to play games like that. If you think Matt Murray is your starter, you protect him.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Maybe. There's some other good goaltenders who will be available as well. I'm hopeful Daccord can be a solid back up in the future but to this point he has one season of pro experience, what exactly are you protecting. No reason to play games like that. If you think Matt Murray is your starter, you protect him.
If Murray plays well sure, I thought we were assuming he would be meh.

SensontheRush

Never said it was Sunshine
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa
Forwards: Tkachuk, Norris, Batherson, L. Brown, Paul, C. Brown, ???
Exposed: White, do they take that contract? or Formenton? Tierney, Dadonov

Defense: Chabot, Brannstrom, ???
Exposed: not really out to lunch on anyone, don't think we have to protect Zub

Goalies: Murray
Exposed: Daccord, Hogberg

Not really sure who Seattle picks honestly. Kinda hope Hogberg goes... hog wild and warrants getting picked.

BurgoShark

Jul 1, 2004
Gold Coast
A few interesting scenarios ...

1) Logan Brown requires protection, but is unlikely to meet the criteria for the two forwards.

So they must either...
- protect L. Brown and or one of Tierney/Paul/C.Brown, or
- expose L.Brown and trade for a player who meets the criteria

2) The criteria for D states that you must expose one player who is under contract. As it stand, that is only Brown, Chabot and Zaitsev... but they will likely make a offer to retain Wolanin. In an unusual twist, Wolanin can ensure he is protected by holding out on signing until after the ED. This means the they can either:

- expose Brown, who already meets the criteria, or
- expose Brown and Zaitsev, and acquire another defenceman (one who is worth protecting) via trade

Most likely scenario imo is trading one of C.Brown/L.Brown/Tierney for a D at the end of the season, thus making the options for Seattle one of Zaitsev, Watson, J. Brown or a goalie

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
Bump.

What do you think Dzingel does to this?

If I'm not mistaken he will be a UFA, but if he looks good before the deadline do we extend him and protect him? Could he replace Connor Brown on the protected list?

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Opportunity knocks.

Colorado will have to leave some nice players exposed. If they go 7+ 3 + 1 look at their D.

Johnson - NMC - RD 2 x 6M , maybe he waives
Girard - 6 x 5M - LD
Toews 3 x 4.1M - LD
Graves - 2 x 3.17M LD
Makar. Auto protect.

Graves would be a nice LD place holder until Sanderson is ready. Plays 19 minutes a night on a good team.

Chabot
Graves
Brannstrom

Better left side for next year IMO. We could send Wolanin + a pick, maybe a 3rd rounder.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Some of you are going to be really mad when we protect Watson, C Brown, Paul, and Zaitsev.

This is how I see it playing out.

We have two players with basically built in protection due to their contracts. Matt Murray and Colin White

Players underlined and italics are being protected

Goalies
Murray
Gus
Hogberg
D'Accord

Murray isnt getting protected with how he has performed and that contract. D'Accord looks like he is going to take Hogbergs job and to me I could easily envision D'Accord as the G we protect. Hogberg and Gus have yet to show much of anything and every organization has some young unproven goalies they hope become something. Those two don't look special.

March 24th edit: D'Accord out for the season and Gus has been outstanding so far as of this date. Perhaps now Gus should be the G we protect as he's leapfrogged D'Accord.

Dmen
Chabot
Zaitsev

Gudbranson
Coburn
Reilly
Brown
Wolanin
Zub

Chabot is a no brainer. Don't be upset about Zaitsev. Hear me out. The team really likes him and he fits the mold of a "veteran player" who is on a decent contrac. Remember that when we get to the forwards. Gudbranson is a UFA, Coburn is finished, and Brown is a 7th D. The question becomes Reilly vs Wolanin. I think the organization still loves Wolanin but his issues with injuries, inconsistencies and the seemingly endless love for Reilly from DJ really has me unsure. I went with Wolanin for now but its a toss up between him Rielly and Zub. If Reilly or Zub (RFA) resigns, its a done deal over Wolanin.

Forwards
Tkachuk
Dadanov

Stepan
White
Anisimov
Brown
Tierney
Dzingle
Watson
Paul
L Brown
Batherson

Abramov
J Davidsson

I left some obvious forwards we won't be protecting off of the list. Tkachuk is a no brainer along with Batherson.

Paul, Watson, C Brown. 3 mid to vet forwards all under contract on super cheap contracts? Does that ring a bell anywhere? Because it should and its been management and ownerships mandate for years now. These 3 F are very much loved by DJ. Paul has a huge backing from Dorion.

Dadanov has not lived up to his contract yet, but its still early and should be protected.

I'd be shocked if we protect White. Sens have been trying to move him and his contract for a while now. He is an overpaid fringe 3rd liner at this point and his contract makes him safe from Seattle.

Tierney , Stepan and Anisimov can just go away, that should be obvious.

Unless L Brown is traded I think he is the 7th F we protect. The addition of Dzingle slightly complicates matters especially if he looks good AND we resign him. If Dzingle is a UFA at the expansion draft I highly doubt we protect him over Brown. Draft capital and upside should keep Brown protected.

Abramov and Davidsson have potential...but thats where they are at right now. Fringe NHL prospects like 31 other teams have.

Those are my "thoughts"

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad