GDT: 2021 NHL Entry Draft

Who do you want the Canucks to take if they are available (Bob’s Top 15 listed)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
So Montreal has now joined the list of Canadian teams that have done something monumentally stupid this offseason.

Edmonton: traded actual assets for Duncan Keith; reportedly signing Hyman to an incredibly long-term contract
Ottawa: hired Pierre McGuire
Vancouver: took on OEL's contract
Montreal: drafted a player, in the first round, who sexually assaulted someone

Well Winnipeg, Calgary, and Toronto the puck is in your end of the rink.

Reactions: mossey3535

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
I would be shocked if we get something in rounds 2-4.

Also whoever we choose tomorrow(if we even make a pick) will be the steal of the draft.

Guaranteed whoever we pick with #41 will be followed-up with a quote of “we had him ranked in the first round.”

I could also see them slide back from #41 and pick up another pick. Maybe slide back a second time, too. This draft is so underscouted and volatile that there may yet be hidden quality in the later rounds. Pick volume might be the better call than pick position from here on out.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I don't really know the specifics past he leaked video of a woman performing a sexual act on him, but I feel from a moral standpoint Mitch Miller's situation is much worse. You can make an argument based on what the climate is though.

I'm not trying to say that one actual act of assault is worse than another and frankly that's a discussion that's impossible to have. Both people violated others badly in different ways.

The big difference is that Miller was 13 or 14 and his act had happened 4 years prior. My personal belief is that a) minors who commit crimes shouldn't be punished for those crimes years later as adults and b) juvenile records should be sealed so the public is never aware of them (as happens in most countries that aren't the US). Miller was very young and had then kept his nose clean for multiple years. There is an argument that his crime was in the past, that he was very young, and that he had stayed out of trouble for a long time and presumably improved as a person.

This guy is 18. He's an adult. And it just happened. There is no path for redemption that has been travelled. He hasn't changed. He's still the same shit person that he was when he did this a couple months ago. By selecting him, Montreal is endorsing the person he is in the here and now, and that's revolting. This is what makes it worse to me.

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
Guaranteed whoever we pick with #41 will be followed-up with a quote of “we had him ranked in the first round.”

I could also see them slide back from #41 and pick up another pick. Maybe slide back a second time, too. This draft is so underscouted and volatile that there may yet be hidden quality in the later rounds. Pick volume might be the better call than pick position from here on out.

Absolutely right that we'll hear that quote.

Yeah id have no issue trading back and getting a late second and a 3rd or 4th or something

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
This guy is 18. He's an adult. And it just happened. There is no path for redemption that has been travelled. He hasn't changed. He's still the same shit person that he was when he did this a couple months ago. By selecting him, Montreal is endorsing the person he is in the here and now, and that's revolting. This is what makes it worse to me.
I mean, there's a chance he did change as a result of this. Or at least started the transformation.

I always believe people can change and better themselves. But yes, I have no idea if any of that has happened here. The all-too-common frat bro culture you see here that got Mailloux into big trouble is just nuclear toxicity, and you can never tell how serious these young men are with their "reform". Or are the just saying the right things to get out of trouble? Because a true betterment requires a completely different mindset, attitude and way of thinking which is never easy to do especially at that age/stature (18 year old hot shot prospect).

There's no easy answer to this. I guess what you can hope is the NHL team can support and help him now.

Reactions: Catamarca Livin

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Can anyone summarize all the picks that Benning have traded away?
Over the last eight years, you'd need a forensic accountant to figure out how many picks have been flushed.

But just in the past two years, a total of two first rounders; two second rounders and a couple of third rounders, based on my calculations.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I mean, there's a chance he did change as a result of this. Or at least started the transformation.

I always believe people can change and better themselves. But yes, I have no idea if any of that has happened here. The all-too-common frat bro culture you see here that got Mailloux into big trouble is just nuclear toxicity, and you can never tell how serious these young men are with their "reform". Or are the just saying the right things to get out of trouble? Because a true betterment requires a completely different mindset, attitude and way of thinking which is never easy to do especially at that age/stature (18 year old hot shot prospect).

There's no easy answer to this. I guess what you can hope is the NHL team can support and help him now.

I also believe people can change. And the player initially did do the right thing by trying to remove himself from this draft.

If he'd gone out over the next two years and proven himself to be a model citizen and provided value in his community and seemed to understand what he'd done and the impact ... I would have no issue with him being drafted in 2023 and trying to proceed with a career.

But this course of events is just awful. For everyone. It's upsetting for Montreal's fans, embarrassing for the organization, insulting to women and to the victim, and actually even bad for the accused who is back in a public storm when he should be trying to rebuild his life and improve himself.

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
Can anyone summarize all the picks that Benning have traded away?

As we currently stand only actually making picks including next year - so 9 draftpick allotments

We are:

Minus 1 - first round
Minus 3 - second round
Minus 3 - third round
Minus 4 - fourth round
Plus 2 - fifth round
Plus 3 - sixth round
Plus 2 - seventh round

1st and 3rd for miller
1st, 2nd, 7th for ekman larsson and garland
2nd for vey
2nd for baertschi
2nd and 4th (forgot mccann) for gudbranson and 5th
2nd and Bonino for sutter and 3rd
2nd and madden for toffoli
3rd for pedan
3rd for dickinson
3rd for dorsett
4th for bowey and 5th
4th and pedan for pouliot
5th for larsen
5th and kassian for prust
6th and jensen for etem

Dont recall any others

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
I'll drop this conversation, I'm not really educated enough to quantify the differences of the two cases and two schmoes discussing it on the internet seems trite when the reality is both situations are unacceptable. I will say this is hella bad PR for the Canadiens.

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
As we currently stand only actually making picks including next year - so 9 draftpick allotments

We are:

Minus 1 - first round
Minus 3 - second round
Minus 3 - third round
Minus 4 - fourth round
Plus 2 - fifth round
Plus 3 - sixth round
Plus 2 - seventh round

1st and 3rd for miller
1st, 2nd, 7th for ekman larsson and garland
2nd for vey
2nd for baertschi
2nd and 4th (forgot mccann) for gudbranson and 5th
2nd and Bonino for sutter and 3rd
2nd and madden for toffoli
3rd for pedan
3rd for dickinson
3rd for dorsett
4th for bowey and 5th
4th and pedan for pouliot
5th for larsen
5th and kassian for prust
6th and jensen for etem

Dont recall any others

Thanks! Jesus Christ, what terrible asset management.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I'll drop this conversation, I'm not really educated enough to quantify the differences of the two cases and two schmoes discussing it on the internet seems trite when the reality is both situations are unacceptable. I will say this is hella bad PR for the Canadiens.

Yeah, totally fair. I really don't want to go through the gross Miller thing again.

Hard pick to stomach if you're a Montreal fan.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
It would just be your second incorrect statement... If you instead said that they are both highly talented and KJ has more issues he has to work on outside of that base, that would be accurate.

Oh, and it’s likely that Eklund is the better overall player, while Johnson has the higher ceiling. In other words, Eklund is the safer pick. (I believe I said I had both in my top9 yesterday)

You are really grasping at straws. I am not a fan of KJ, I dont know what else to tell you, also not sure how my "opinion" is an incorrect statement because I think william eklund is highly talented and I dont feel the same way about KJ. You clearly disagree. Time to let this go. And I dont agree johnson has the higher ceiling then eklund, we simply disagree.

Nobody is right or wrong at the moment, nobody is making incorrect statements having an opinion. Lets see how this pans out.

Last edited:

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
You are really grasping at straws. I am not a fan of KJ, I dont know what else to tell you, also not sure how my "opinion" is an incorrect statement because I think william eklund is highly talented and I dont feel the same way about KJ. You clearly disagree. Time to let this go. And I dont agree johnson has the higher ceiling then eklund, we simply disagree.

Nobody is right or wrong at the moment, nobody is making incorrect statements having an opinion. Lets see how this pans out.

No, you're wrong at exactly this moment. Right now. I don't care a bit that you dislike Johnson. That doesn't matter. But to say he's not highly talented... Like what are you even watching? That opinion in of itself is absurd.

How is Johnson even highly touted, with all the warts in his game, if he's not talented? What else does he bring? A 2way game? It's because he's talented that he's rated in the top10 at all. That's the one attribute that he does have.

And sure, we can disagree that Johnson has the higher ceiling. I'm fine with that, but to say he's not highly talented... Wow. Understand what you're saying. We're not arguing who is better, we're relaying our perception of/the presence of talent in these players.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Lol @ Montreal and Edmonton.... talk about absolutely dropping the ball. Edmonton had Wallstedt fall to their lap and they somehow trade back for an extra 3rd rounder?? Brutal.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
No, you're wrong at exactly this moment. Right now. I don't care a bit that you dislike Johnson. That doesn't matter. But to say he's not highly talented... Like what are you even watching? That opinion in of itself is absurd.

How is Johnson even highly touted, with all the warts in his game, if he's not talented? What else does he bring? A 2way game? It's because he's talented that he's rated in the top10 at all. That's the one attribute that he does have.

And sure, we can disagree that Johnson has the higher ceiling. I'm fine with that, but to say he's not highly talented... Wow. Understand what you're saying. We're not arguing who is better, we're relaying our perception of/the presence of talent in these players.

If i dont like his game why would i think he is highly talented, I think he has trouble stick handling while skating, he often quits moving his feet like mittlestadt, yes he makes some fancy plays but i dont equate that with high talent. I think he looks incredibly raw when i watch him i dont equate that to high talent. He looks sloppy and a step slow at times making decisions on ice. I think that is going to catch up to him at the higher levels. And has been pointed out he racked up a ton of secondary assists playing with berniers.

Get over it, I disagree with you, or lets keep going in circles where you keep telling me my opinion is "absurd". This might be the most annoying conversation i had on this board. I feel like im back 2 years ago arguing in the zegras vs turcotte threads where it was absurd to suggest zegras is a far better player because the media rankings and some fans could only see turcotte as a high end two way skilled center and he was more highly touted and went 5th overall. My opinion is different then your's on kent johnson. And yes I often disagree with media rankings and some nhl teams when they highly rank someone. Why was cody glass so highly touted to the point he was above pettersson when some of us did not see why he was ranked so high? I had no idea what the fanfare was over cody glass and so did a few others. Teams and media can get it wrong. And again I disagreed when you claimed johnson had a higher ceiling then eklund.

We are muddying this thread up with this back and forth, lets just move on, I know from your history you will spend days arguing this. You can criticize me and rehash this all you want and even tell me I am wrong when hes setting the world on fire.

Last edited:

crowfish

Jun 3, 2011
Edmonton gets swept in the first round with Mike Smith, then watches franchise stud goalies Carey Price and Vasilevskiy battle for the cup, and instead of thinking to themselves "gee wouldn't it be cool to draft a potential franchise goalie that just dropped 10 spots to fall to us", "naw, let's add a 3rd round pick instead"

Absolute morons. Poor McDavid :help:

Reactions: mossey3535 and DFAC

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Lol @ Montreal and Edmonton.... talk about absolutely dropping the ball. Edmonton had Wallstedt fall to their lap and they somehow trade back for an extra 3rd rounder?? Brutal.

edmonton is a failure when it comes to goalies.

kcunac

Aug 31, 2008
Ottawa
Using MacKenzie's list, Morrow is the only RD (ranked 37) until Heimosalo (56), Iorio (58), and Schmidt (65). It is unlikely Morrow lasts another 9 picks as RD is already at a premium and it is also in low supply.

Pinelli (C), Chibrikov (RW), Chayka (LD), and Raty (C) are all notable fallers. Not a huge fan of any of these, but Chayka or Pinelli would certainly fill organizational needs if they are still available. We would have to know alot about Raty to take that risk.

Helenius (C) is another one who is interesting and ranked right around our pick (44). Could see him go earlier given the emphasis on big centres.

So 9 names to look for (1 or more will be available to us): Morrow, Chayka, Pinelli, Chibrikov, Helenius, Heimosalo, Iorio, Raty, Schmidt.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad