GDT: 2021 NHL Entry Draft

Who do you want the Canucks to take if they are available (Bob’s Top 15 listed)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
For those looking for a stream - NHL.com has said that they will be streaming this event. From their site I copied this:

2021 NHL Draft Full coverage of the NHL Draft, to be held July 23-24 online.

Reactions: xtra and Lindgren

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
thanks!

It’s always nice to have something for 5+ years later to look back on

Added the Poll - bit tough since we don’t know who’s going to be available at the pick unless we wanted to use a mock draft. But for example, I voted Kent Johnson because I think a lot of the players before him will be gone, and I like his potential a great deal at the pick.

Would also be happy if Luke Hughes or Brandt Clarke fell to us.

Reactions: Pip

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Drance and Dhaliwal had a new article up on the Athletic. Some draft tidbits;

- Chatter around the Canucks’ 9th overall pick has picked up. Drance still says it’s “modestly more likely they keep it” but the chances of them moving it have increased over the last few days. (Ugh)

- The Canucks rate Kent Johnson very highly, but there’s a belief he will be gone by the time the Canucks pick.

- The Canucks rate defenders Hughes, Edvinsson and Clarke in that order.

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
I'm setting the bar at "OEL trade is announced" and am hoping that the "brain" trust will exceed that.

Wouldn't mind seeing a deal be made, but that is a double edged sword: I don't like the idea of Benning making what would essentially be a desperation move to keep his job and ensure further job security, but if there's a good fit out there, cool. (Also lol @ the paradox that this is the guy who is supposed to improve our drafting by leaps and bounds vs throwing 1st rounders at problems.)

EDIT: Because our prospect depth, much like our actual team depth, is still pretty poor after 7 years of Benning.

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016
I remain convinced that it’s likely we won’t be using this pick and it will be traded.

After Aquilini's end of season message where he specifically pointed the excitement of yet another high draft pick, I thought for sure they would keep it and sell 2022/23 instead. But now it feels like everything is available. :(

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
can anyone with better math skills than me parse the comments from mckenzie link quoted below as a math problem? they seem to suggest there must be near unanimous consensus among his scouts on the top 8 but differences on order. there is almost no way hughes could be 8th with votes as described unless everyone ranked higher than him was ranked in the top 8 by nearly every scout. it suggests johnson is in a different tier with only a very few votes above 9 and some votes higher than 9.

"There’s not much at all separating Beniers, Edvinsson, Eklund, McTavish and Guenther. Any one of them may be worthy of No. 2 honours depending upon the preference of the individual teams ranking them.

And here’s where it gets even more interesting and/or confusing. While no other prospect than the five listed above got a vote at No. 2, the Nos. 7, 8 and 9 players on the TSN list also received notable support as top 3 to 5 picks."

"University of Michigan recruit Luke Hughes, who played this season for the U.S. Under-18 program, is No. 8 on our list but he also received multiple Top 5 votes and none lower than No. 9."

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
might be very tricky if we trade the pick and then hughes is available and taken by whoever gets it.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC

The reporters that follow the Canucks seem unimpressed by this development - as they should.

You don't trade a top 10 pick, IMO, unless it's a no-brainer-overpayment that sets your team up for the long haul. I can't think of a player rumored to be available who would fit that bill.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Clear as day that Benning is more than likely than not to trade the pick.

He essentially has no other options.

I don't hate it but it entirely depends on whom they trade it for.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
It all depends what he trades it for, if its reinhart, i can live with it

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
The reporters that follow the Canucks seem unimpressed by this development - as they should.

You don't trade a top 10 pick, IMO, unless it's a no-brainer-overpayment that sets your team up for the long haul. I can't think of a player rumored to be available who would fit that bill.

Ugh, Aquilini is the f***ing worst. I sometimes wonder what this team would be like if Gaglardi won that suit back when.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
It all depends what he trades it for, if its reinhart, i can live with it
I don’t support that at all unless he plans on signing the biggest value 5 year deal.

Like if he signs at some sort of dollar value that makes him one of the most attractive wingers in the NHL due to him being cost controlled, I would support it.

But, I’m like 99% in favor of just keeping the pick unless it’s like Chychrun or however you spell it coming back

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
I don’t support that at all unless he plans on signing the biggest value 5 year deal.
Its not ideal, But the value is not backlash worthy.
Current state of team trading the 9th, thats a different conversation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad