2021 NHL Entry Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Does anyone recall how many hours Day 2 of the draft approximately takes? Seems like we start at 8 AM Pacific, but not sure how long it generally runs till. 5 hours? Less, more?

Last years was insane and took forever.

I hope they speed that up a little bit cause no one has the time for that.

StarterHart

Waffle
Feb 2, 2018
Arlington, WA
Not surprising. But I do think GMRF is playing things a little too conservatively.

It was always his biggest wart during his time as Carolina's GM. I was hoping his experiences and lessons learned there would change that a little, but it does seem like so far he's content to sit on his hands. At least we know that he's unlikely to do anything stupid with the 2OA.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
So he's not going to trade down.

So far we could've forgone watching any of the shows and just waited until after everything is done for a power point presentation of the teams moves....

I am not that surprised. His lack of moves in the expansion draft limit us from making many moves here. We didn't make side deal to accumulate picks that we could use to potentially move up into the 1st round. Don't think any of our expendable assets gets us another pick in the 1st round either.

I definitely expect some wheeling and dealing tomorrow but if he is fairly vanilla tomorrow and sticks to just our picks, I will be a little concerned. That being said, I am still curious to see how exactly does GMRF plan to use all the cap space he has accumulated. Unlikely he spends all of it in FA. I am guessing there will be some deals made for us taking on cap (useful but overpaid player) for assets/picks.

Reactions: RainyCityHockey

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Yeah, I didn't expect much today either and I'm curious to see if there's anything happening tomorrow.

I'm gonna wait and see until the season starts but so far the plan seems to be keeping as much cap space as possible to go out in free agency and sign players.

If he's not able to do that than the only thing we could do is what he shied away from during the expansion draft and that is taking on bad contracts with picks/prospects attached.

Trading for better players is out of the question given that we haven't added anything(besides a 4th rounder) during the process so far.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Not surprising. But I do think GMRF is playing things a little too conservatively.

He is absolutely giving Seattle very little to get excited about early on. There's people like us who are crazy hockey fans posting non-stop on a message board in the offseason, but for the average hockey fan... Francis is really killing a lot of the early hype, I would imagine. Zero trades at the ED, passed on all the names the average fan would recognize, made one minor flip of a 4th liner for a 4th, no trades leading up to the entry draft, one first round pick. With the Vegas trades, I don't even know that people cared as much about the players acquired as the entertainment value of multiple trades being revealed and stacking up 1st round picks. Right now this Seattle team is on par with Arizona for entertainment value, to the average fan.

I'm not complaining. I get it from a fanatic perspective. The hope is we're being patient, waiting for UFA, waiting to see who strikes out, taking a patient approach to building in general. But to an average fan, the NHL hyped up this expansion to no ends and so far it's been a dud from the perspective of a normal person (one who doesn't spend their summer posting on HF every day).

Reactions: RainyCityHockey

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
what do you want Seattle to do? Cap hell for the next 5-6 years?

How is trading your extras for draft picks/prospects going to put you into cap hell?

Like I've said before, one of the best things McPhee did was identifying which players would be Golden Knights and which weren't and then trading them ASAP.

Holding on to them is diminishing their trade value.

I just hope he can still do a couple of those trades tomorrow in order to get some more draft capital.

BTW: I'm done talking about that stuff now.
Hoping for either Beniers or Ecklung to be a Kraken in about two hours time.

Last edited:

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
what do you want Seattle to do? Cap hell for the next 5-6 years?

We have 30M in cap space. Let’s not get into hyperbole. If we had 22M in cap space, we would still have an abundance. It’s not like we have big names to re-sign either.

What's our equivalent of Blais, value wise? Maybe Bastian or Fluery? I'd have done a depth player and a 2nd for Buchnevich. 25 year old first liner who PKs and has increased production every year? 48 points in 54 games last year?

Last edited:

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Given what has gone on earlier in the week, I would say expectations have been tempered a tad for me about the entry draft. At this point, I'm just keeping an open mind and an open bottle of Irish whiskey just in case things turn gnarly.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Given what has gone on earlier in the week, I would say expectations have been tempered a tad for me about the entry draft. At this point, I'm just keeping an open mind and an open bottle of Irish whiskey just in case things turn gnarly.

This is my best guess. Francis knows from talking to available FA's like Schwartz, Hamilton, Landeskog, Danault, etc. during the expansion draft if there is a realistic chance for us to get some of them. Could be the main reason why he is holding off on making any acquisitions that add to our cap before FA.

I do agree with @Loki Dog 74 that Francis is certainly killing some of the buzz of an expansion team. Things could have been a lot more exciting than they have been so far. But, it would still be good for us to hold on to passing judgement till we see the roster on opening day. I expect it to look much better.

Puckrobber

Backup Netminder
Feb 28, 2016
Central Oklahoma
I've always wondered if GMRF would take the route that Cheveldayoff took with the Jets. Build the team through the Draft, sign an occasional Free Agent, and do little in the way of trades for the first several years. They got some great young players that way, but, it took forever. Jets fans didn't really have much to look forward to during Free Agency or the Trade Deadline.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig