2021 NHL Entry Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

CanuckleBerry

Benning Survivor
Sep 27, 2017
New Westminster
You guys have such a solid Expansion Draft defense that I think you absolutely need to take either Beniers or Eklund to inject some skill in to that forward group.

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
You guys have such a solid Expansion Draft defense that I think you absolutely need to take either Beniers or Eklund to inject some skill in to that forward group.
Neither one should be ready to pro quite yet! Another year maybe two would do wonders for their development! And the pick for sure is Matty Beniers the centre! And hopefully some other draft choices are coming Seattle's way in the first ,second or third round

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019

CanuckleBerry

Benning Survivor
Sep 27, 2017
New Westminster
Neither one should be ready to pro quite yet! Another year maybe two would do wonders for their development!

?

Eklund has already gone pro. He just finished an impressive season in the SHL that was turning heads all over the world. He's ready.

Not sure on Beniers intentions, but I think he's likely committed to one more year in the NCAA understandably.

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
?

Eklund has already gone pro. He just finished an impressive season in the SHL that was turning heads all over the world. He's ready.

Not sure on Beniers intentions, but I think he's likely committed to one more year in the NCAA understandably.
Eklund is 18 years old he'll get eaten alive! What do want him to get 5-7 minutes a game? He'll never develop into the type of player he could potentially playing 4th line! Beniers is making the smart move to playing at least one more year of college,Eklund should play another year in Sweden it won't hurt

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Well I've done a "million" Mock drafts in the last year! This is how I think it will shake out for Seattle Kraken...First obviously Matty Beniers a Centre that plays the (200 ft)game the right way! Beniers could be their top centre in a few years! Numero dos for certain! Caution though with the Beniers pick...he will go back to another at Michigan,which is a sound and mature move! Seattle wants a 1-2 line centre not someone that hangs on...and that is what you get when players turn pro too soon...its too much too soon! Good Luck to Matty Beniers,a great choice!2nd round I always want to give Seattle a D-man S Svozil but invariably some NHL team with a glaring need on Defense takes him beforehand.Ditto in goal where I've had B Gaudreau chosen by the Kraken. So for the 2nd round Seattle has to play to the strength of the draft and not force the issue so another centre maybe Zach Dean or Brett Harrison! After that its guesswork. Hopefully there is some balance but as it looks now the Strength of the Kraken is their Defense and goal to a lesser extent so they need to find as many offensive players they can that can play at the NHL level. It would have been nice to have had some extra picks but like they say the show must go on!!! Perhaps some manifest themselves during the draft where Seattle trades a few players? Good Luck to the Seattle Kraken and their scouts may you have the Eyes of an Eagle and Wisdom of the great Philosophers and Hockey people
77f50c515e3c426d30fe1b21092ad0c5d5ee0a0b154d510beee184fc71cb38a9.jpg

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
If anyone's interested Fan Speak has created a mock draft simulator.

The Draft starts tonight at 5:00 p.m. PT/8:00 p.m. ET and I'm curious to see who we'll draft and if we might do something else than that.

I am hoping we do but would not put money on it for the 1st round. Pretty sure, there is some wheeling and dealing that will happen tomorrow though.

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
If we can trade down and get possible more assets might consider it concerning who is available after 1st pick. Not sold Beniers is better than Eklund or if they do move down maybe can land Clarke further down. Big question I have is are they certain Beniers is there guy or if offered a better deal to gain more assets they take it?

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
If we can trade down and get possible more assets might consider it concerning who is available after 1st pick. Not sold Beniers is better than Eklund or if they do move down maybe can land Clarke further down. Big question I have is are they certain Beniers is there guy or if offered a better deal to gain more assets they take it?

Not sure about the question on Beniers. But I remember reading an article where one of the folks on the drafting team said that there are 7-8 players they are interested in.

If this was not our 1st year, I would not be shocked seeing us move backwards. I would be a little surprised today but can still see that happen if GMRF gets what he deems a good return. Still don't think we drop further than the 7-8 range.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Not sure about the question on Beniers. But I remember reading an article where one of the folks on the drafting team said that there are 7-8 players they are interested in.

If this was not our 1st year, I would not be shocked seeing us move backwards. I would be a little surprised today but can still see that happen if GMRF gets what he deems a good return. Still don't think we drop further than the 7-8 range.

Well, NJ, Columbus and Detroit have extra first round picks.

I wouldn't drop to 7 or 8 without another first or a really good prospect on top of it.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
I'd like to see at least one hockey trade. We have this abundance of D and are lacking up front.

In the top 4, unless moves are made, you already have: Giordano, Larsson, Oleksiak, Dunn

If we can package one of Dunn (because he has value), Soucy, Lauzon, Fleury, Borgen, etc. and something like our 2nd rounder to grab a young-ish established middle-six guy with top-six potential, that would make me a lot happier. Just balance things out a bit. Even a guy whose a buy low candidate like Debrusk could work out well and probably wouldn't cost too much to acquire. Bigger role, fresh start, he could certainly rebound into a fine 2nd liner. Having a bit better balance between having 8 guys who could play in the top six on defense and feeling like 90% of our forwards are currently third or fourth liners would be relieving (yes, Appleton, Geekie, McCann have potential to be more, but adding a couple more guys with the same potential makes the odds of hitting on a few much more comfortable).

Other than that, Beniers is going to be a nice solid pick for this franchise. I'd be okay with dropping to #3 or 4 for an additional second or B prospect who is being crowded out, but I'd rather stay in the top 4-5 for our first draft.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I'd like to see at least one hockey trade. We have this abundance of D and are lacking up front.

In the top 4, unless moves are made, you already have: Giordano, Larsson, Oleksiak, Dunn

If we can package one of Dunn (because he has value), Soucy, Lauzon, Fleury, Borgen, etc. and something like our 2nd rounder to grab a young-ish established middle-six guy with top-six potential, that would make me a lot happier. Just balance things out a bit. Even a guy whose a buy low candidate like Debrusk could work out well and probably wouldn't cost too much to acquire. Bigger role, fresh start, he could certainly rebound into a fine 2nd liner. Having a bit better balance between having 8 guys who could play in the top six on defense and feeling like 90% of our forwards are currently third or fourth liners would be relieving (yes, Appleton, Geekie, McCann have potential to be more, but adding a couple more guys with the same potential makes the odds of hitting on a few much more comfortable).

Other than that, Beniers is going to be a nice solid pick for this franchise.
I wanted to move one of Soucy/Dunn. Either for a top-6 F or more picks/prospects.

But I am not sure anymore if that is a good idea UNLESS we know we are getting the likes of Hamilton or Barrie in FA. Gio is most likely not going to be part of this team next season and unless we get Power, there is little chance any D-man we drafted this year plays next season. We are extremely short on PMD's on the team without Gio and Dunn.

The thing to keep in mind is that GMRF has laid the foundations of our team with good team D. The strength of the expansion draft was most certainly depth at D and I don't know if he would give that up to get a top-6 F when he knows he has over 30M in cap space available and players willing to move useful players to clear cap space.

Piffle

Oct 31, 2007
I think trading Dunn for futures would be a big mistake. And I'd rather keep Soucy too but could be talked into trading him for picks.

Reactions: Fistfullofbeer

LokiDog

Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
I wanted to move one of Soucy/Dunn. Either for a top-6 F or more picks/prospects.

But I am not sure anymore if that is a good idea UNLESS we know we are getting the likes of Hamilton or Barrie in FA. Gio is most likely not going to be part of this team next season and unless we get Power, there is little chance any D-man we drafted this year plays next season. We are extremely short on PMD's on the team without Gio and Dunn.

The thing to keep in mind is that GMRF has laid the foundations of our team with good team D. The strength of the expansion draft was most certainly depth at D and I don't know if he would give that up to get a top-6 F when he knows he has over 30M in cap space available and players willing to move useful players to clear cap space.

I think Lauzon has #4 potential and is already close to it. Fleury is a solid bottom pair guy and Borgen is also actually pretty good and RHD. He was on a terrible Buffalo team; if he plays I think he's a pleasant surprise.

Giordano - Larsson
Oleksiak - Dunn
Soucy - Fleury ----- Lauzon, Borgen, the other Fleury has potential still, Cholowski has NHL experience

I don't want to press box all these younger D and have them not develop. The AHL doesn't really help when all of them already have NHL experience. I do believe we need puck movers, but we can still trade for one between now and next season when Giordano likely is gone. Also Nurse, Parayko, Ristolainen, Pulock, Werenski, Jones, McAvoy, Klingberg, Bear and more are all UFA next summer.

I would be okay with moving a guy like Dunn or Soucy to address the forward situation, given the potential for further moves down the road.

Giordano/UFA - Larsson
Oleksiak - Dunn
Lauzon - Fleury/Borgen

Is likely just as good as with Soucy in that spot. He's solid, but Lauzon was pretty good for Boston last year and is still developing.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
To me the D I would certainly keep are Oleksiak, Larsson, Dunn and Lauzon.
Add to that whichever younger guy(Borgen or Fleury/s) you want but the rest should be available.

Given the contract and great character(to start out) I do think Giordano stays at least until the TDL where GMRF(that's what we call him now?) can decide if he wants to trade him or not.

BTW: Unless we take on a big contract or trade down I doubt there will be any movement by us today.
It's probably more likely tomorrow where you could get a couple of mid to late round picks for some of the guys.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I think Lauzon has #4 potential and is already close to it. Fleury is a solid bottom pair guy and Borgen is also actually pretty good and RHD. He was on a terrible Buffalo team; if he plays I think he's a pleasant surprise.

Giordano - Larsson
Oleksiak - Dunn
Soucy - Fleury ----- Lauzon, Borgen, the other Fleury has potential still, Cholowski has NHL experience

I don't want to press box all these younger D and have them not develop. The AHL doesn't really help when all of them already have NHL experience. I do believe we need puck movers, but we can still trade for one between now and next season when Giordano likely is gone. Also Nurse, Parayko, Ristolainen, Pulock, Werenski, Jones, McAvoy, Klingberg, Bear and more are all UFA next summer.

I would be okay with moving a guy like Dunn or Soucy to address the forward situation, given the potential for further moves down the road.

Giordano/UFA - Larsson
Oleksiak - Dunn
Lauzon - Fleury/Borgen

Is likely just as good as with Soucy in that spot. He's solid, but Lauzon was pretty good for Boston last year and is still developing.

My intuition tells me that if one of Soucy/Dunn gets moved, it will be Dunn. This is based on the kind of players GMRF picked up in the expansion. Soucy is a big body at 6'5 and had a team leading +/- of 22 on the Wild last year. Dunn is more offensively minded and can make defensive mistakes. The problem is that we need more players like Dunn on this team. And if Dunn gets moved, we need 2 PMD's next season because none of the other D we got in the expansion draft are that.

Reactions: LokiDog

LokiDog

Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
My intuition tells me that if one of Soucy/Dunn gets moved, it will be Dunn. This is based on the kind of players GMRF picked up in the expansion. Soucy is a big body at 6'5 and had a team leading +/- of 22 on the Wild last year. Dunn is more offensively minded and can make defensive mistakes. The problem is that we need more players like Dunn on this team. And if Dunn gets moved, we need 2 PMD's next season because none of the other D we got in the expansion draft are that.

Yep, that I agree with. We have a very big, physical defense we need a guy like Dunn who can move the puck and play the PP. Relying on Gio for that would be a mistake. I’d personally even package Soucy and Lauzon/Borgen for a forward. You’d still have:

Gio - Larsson
Oleksiak - Dunn
Fleury - Borgen (Fleury/Cholowski/Bayreuther)

Then you’re up a top six forward and only trying to add one two-way PMD from that free agent crop next year, when Gio moves on.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I can't decide who I want between Eklund or Beniers. Will be glad with either to be honest at this time. Just please don't be Edvinsson .... though I will convince myself somehow that it was a great pick after the fact.

It's going to be Edvinsson isn't it ... big body .. defensively solid .. point production is a little iffy.

J Corso

Sep 22, 2020
Fanny Bay
It's gotta be forwards. Just doesn't make sense to draft defenseman based on how the expansion draft went.

You gotta go with best player available and all that, but just hope it's not defence when the time comes.

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
I think there will be a whack of trades of which GMRF will be part of. The Kraken could send some of the acquired players for picks. I also see some big time salary dumps by NHL teams in desperate need of getting their "house" in order. With over 30 Million in cap space Francis is in a good position to "swoop" and land a couple to be sure. On Wednesday the Seattle Kraken drafted their team for October,but today the Kraken get started on drafting their prospect pool and team of the future!!!Good Luck to the Seattle Kraken and all the prospects they select! May they have the wisdom of playing one/two more seasons of Junior/College/Pro and not cave to the money/hype!!!
USA_BENIERS_Matty.JPG

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany

If he trades Dunn and keeps Soucy over him I hope it's just because Dunn is asking for too much.

If not that would be a huge mistake cause like you've said, we need a guy like Dunn to move the puck out of our own third.

Reactions: Fistfullofbeer
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad