2021 NHL Entry Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Given that we already have an expansion draft thread I thought having one for the entry draft makes sense as well.

We're having the same odds as the Vegas Knights did in 2017 meaning that we'll have the same chance as the team with the third lowest point total and a 10,3 % chance of the #1 Pick.

That means our first round pick will be in the 1 - 6 range and gives us a good chance of adding a very good young player.

Here's a list of the available players for the 2021 NHl Draft.
Elite Prospects - NHL Draft Center

I do like Chaz Lucius(LW) quite a bit and it also seems like there will be a couple of very interesting Defenders available.

Some information on the 2021 NHL Entry Draft:
Here's Tankathons Draft Lottery simulator.
The Hockey News 2021 NHL Draft Edition
Dobber Prospects

Who do you got?

Last edited:
Reactions: alexislafreniere

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Hard to say given we have no idea what spot we'll draft at in the first round.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Then again, you could get a great player "ready to play in the inaugural season" by doing a trade (for a guy who nominally would not be exposed).

You never know. :sarcasm:

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Then again, you could get a great player "ready to play in the inaugural season" by doing a trade (for a guy who nominally would not be exposed).

You never know. :sarcasm:

The only way you'd consider that is if you don't like the players available at your spot.
And given that this will be at worst the #6 spot in the draft I wouldn't really consider it.

BTW: I think the expansion draft should be used to try and receive picks from teams(who want to protect certain players) we could use for future trades.

Reactions: Fisticuffer

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
The only way you'd consider that is if you don't like the players available at your spot.
And given that this will be at worst the #6 spot in the draft I wouldn't really consider it.

BTW: I think the expansion draft should be used to try and receive picks from teams(who want to protect certain players) we could use for future trades.

After the 1st 2 rounds, maybe you consider trading out. But given that this would be our first draft and the league has shown over the last few years how top-5 draft picks are ready to step in their first seasons, I would not trade out of that 1st round pick.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Draft Site has us currently drafting the following players.

#4 Mason McTavish(C - Peterborough/OHL)
#36 Sebastian Cossa(G - Edmonton/WHL)
#68 Francesco Arcuri(C - Kingston/OHL)
#100 Kyle Jackson(C - North Bay Batalion/OHL)
#132 Robert Orr(C - Canada)

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I am going to start looking more at the 2021 draft rankings/prospects but I would love to land a Franchise 1C. Would absolutely get us someone to build the franchise around.

Taking a quick look Cole Sillinger and Chaz Lucius are both C's that may fall to us. Raty seems more of a long shot unless we are drafting top-3. Though honestly, I would be pretty happy if we get any one of those 3.

Its easy to forget though that they are just kids. They can grow a lot at this age and can develop similarly. Someone who is relatively unknown today can make a massive jump in the next year or so to the top-6.

Last edited:

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I am going to start looking more at the 2021 draft rankings/prospects but I would love to land a Franchise 1C. Would absolutely get us someone to build the franchise around.

Taking a quick look Cole Sillinger and Chaz Lucius are both C's that may fall to us. Raty seems more of a long shot unless we are drafting top-3. Though honestly, I would be pretty happy if we get any one of those 3.

Its easy to forget though that they are just kids. They can grow a lot at this age and can develop similarly. Someone who is relatively unknown today can make a massive jump in the next year or so to the top-6.

A #1C is the most important piece of the team, however development of a #1D takes a little longer. First year I'd like a defender, second the center if I had a preference.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
A #1C is the most important piece of the team, however development of a #1D takes a little longer. First year I'd like a defender, second the center if I had a preference.
Honestly, I would be ok with #1D or #1C. I just don't want to draft a winger as our first round pick.

Also, while development of D can take longer, we have seen players like Dahlin, Ekblad, etc. who have made the starting day roster. I just think its slightly easier to see how forwards translate from juniors to the NHL than D-men because in a lot of cases, they dont develop till their early 20s.

That is the main reason why I think center is a 'safer' pick than D if we are drafting top-5. This is kind of all moot to be honest. Most organizations have a draft board and go BPA. Which I agree with. If you are trying to fill a need, try FA or even trade down/up in the draft as required. Specially for a new team like ours who has pretty much needs at every position .. :)

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Honestly, I would be ok with #1D or #1C. I just don't want to draft a winger as our first round pick.

Also, while development of D can take longer, we have seen players like Dahlin, Ekblad, etc. who have made the starting day roster. I just think its slightly easier to see how forwards translate from juniors to the NHL than D-men because in a lot of cases, they dont develop till their early 20s.

That is the main reason why I think center is a 'safer' pick than D if we are drafting top-5. This is kind of all moot to be honest. Most organizations have a draft board and go BPA. Which I agree with. If you are trying to fill a need, try FA or even trade down/up in the draft as required. Specially for a new team like ours who has pretty much needs at every position .. :)

Yeah, but then you have the contrast between Makar/Hughes and some of the top centers drafted coming in and posting 50+ points in their first year. Dahlin will be good, but he struggled this year quite a bit.

Obviously BPA, but if the team looks like they won't draft top 5 in their second year it is going to be interesting. Maybe Vegas can be replicated, but I have my doubts. Worst thing we could do is be a mediocre team for 10 years the way other expansion teams have been.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Yeah, but then you have the contrast between Makar/Hughes and some of the top centers drafted coming in and posting 50+ points in their first year. Dahlin will be good, but he struggled this year quite a bit.

Obviously BPA, but if the team looks like they won't draft top 5 in their second year it is going to be interesting. Maybe Vegas can be replicated, but I have my doubts. Worst thing we could do is be a mediocre team for 10 years the way other expansion teams have been.

I think patience to build the team is key. I am a San Jose Sharks fan as well though my loyalties lie towards the Kraken (logo has been changed to represent this .. LOL). San Jose has expended too many assets trying to buy FA's and their way to the SC. It just has not worked.

We need to be patient and do what Colorado has done over the last few years. Get a roster of talented kids as your core over the next 3-5 years and buy some of the missing pieces instead of trying to buy your 'core'.

I am more of a pessimist/realist and expect us to miss the playoffs first year. If we make it, great. But if we don't, hopefully we pick in the top-10. I enjoy the draft and researching the prospects so I do tend to get excited if my team picks high. The key is just to hold on to your picks in the 1st (or even 2nd) rounds for the next few years and try to not make a push just to make the playoffs. Last thing we want is to trade our 1st round picks and have 1st round exits in the playoffs.

Also, Vegas Knights are an anomaly. And I hate them.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I think patience to build the team is key. I am a San Jose Sharks fan as well though my loyalties lie towards the Kraken (logo has been changed to represent this .. LOL). San Jose has expended too many assets trying to buy FA's and their way to the SC. It just has not worked.

We need to be patient and do what Colorado has done over the last few years. Get a roster of talented kids as your core over the next 3-5 years and buy some of the missing pieces instead of trying to buy your 'core'.

I am more of a pessimist/realist and expect us to miss the playoffs first year. If we make it, great. But if we don't, hopefully we pick in the top-10. I enjoy the draft and researching the prospects so I do tend to get excited if my team picks high. The key is just to hold on to your picks in the 1st (or even 2nd) rounds for the next few years and try to not make a push just to make the playoffs. Last thing we want is to trade our 1st round picks and have 1st round exits in the playoffs.

Also, Vegas Knights are an anomaly. And I hate them.

Yeah I've been a Colorado fan since 95/96 so I am well aware of what the back end of a competitive window looks like lol. The rebuild Colorado started in 09 with Duchene failed partly because EJ never fully lived up as an elite #1 defender, but continued to fail because they refused to draft defense high in the draft. This rebuild started with the MacKinnon pick.

I almost do not want them to attempt to come out of the gate like Vegas due to being afraid of seeing your favorite team attempt to build through trades and free-agency lol. Having Gallant available was a perfect storm situation for Vegas. Most people picked that roster to finish bottom 5 before they did what they did. I think even Vegas was trying to lean towards the draft to build, but caught lightning in a bottle.

/sounds like we're in the same boat lol

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012

Not with how the expansion draft rules are set up. we shouldn't be mediocre for that long.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Yeah I've been a Colorado fan since 95/96 so I am well aware of what the back end of a competitive window looks like lol. The rebuild Colorado started in 09 with Duchene failed partly because EJ never fully lived up as an elite #1 defender, but continued to fail because they refused to draft defense high in the draft. This rebuild started with the MacKinnon pick.

I think EJ showed spurts of tremendous play but the consistency just was not there. Also, I don't think he had much of a supporting cast on the backend.

And while I actually like Duchene, I think he is slightly overrated. He is a good 2C which tremendous skating ability but not a 1C as he was expected to perform like. MacKinnon is on a different level. I still remember the MacKinnon vs Jones draft discussions. And while Jones is really solid in his own right, MacKinnon (I think) has done a lot more to get them to their current position than Jones could ever have on his own. Which is actually one of the reasons I really hope we can get a 1C sooner than later.

I almost do not want them to attempt to come out of the gate like Vegas due to being afraid of seeing your favorite team attempt to build through trades and free-agency lol. Having Gallant available was a perfect storm situation for Vegas. Most people picked that roster to finish bottom 5 before they did what they did. I think even Vegas was trying to lean towards the draft to build, but caught lightning in a bottle.

Yeah. Vegas basically had the stars aligned for them. Everything just worked out great to put them in a position of success. Their coach knew what his players bought to the table and used them in an excellent way to ge the most out of them. The players bought into his methods/style too so that always helps.

I am totally fine being successful right off the bat as long as the management realizes that we need to replicate that effort a few years in a row before we start spending draft picks to improve the team. With the teams focus on metrics I would think they may want to go in the direction of a 'younger' coach. However, the NHL is still a good old boys club so I am not sure if that really happens.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I think EJ showed spurts of tremendous play but the consistency just was not there. Also, I don't think he had much of a supporting cast on the backend.

And while I actually like Duchene, I think he is slightly overrated. He is a good 2C which tremendous skating ability but not a 1C as he was expected to perform like. MacKinnon is on a different level. I still remember the MacKinnon vs Jones draft discussions. And while Jones is really solid in his own right, MacKinnon (I think) has done a lot more to get them to their current position than Jones could ever have on his own. Which is actually one of the reasons I really hope we can get a 1C sooner than later.

Yeah. Vegas basically had the stars aligned for them. Everything just worked out great to put them in a position of success. Their coach knew what his players bought to the table and used them in an excellent way to ge the most out of them. The players bought into his methods/style too so that always helps.

I am totally fine being successful right off the bat as long as the management realizes that we need to replicate that effort a few years in a row before we start spending draft picks to improve the team. With the teams focus on metrics I would think they may want to go in the direction of a 'younger' coach. However, the NHL is still a good old boys club so I am not sure if that really happens.

I was excited when we had Tippett, but alas. Yeah you know your stuff when it comes to Colorado lol.

I'm a little more gun shy with new coaches. Colorado has done nothing but hire outside the NHL. Bednar is the first to seemingly work out, but obviously I'd rather they take a chance on a young coach rather than pick from experience around the fringes.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Not with how the expansion draft rules are set up. we shouldn't be mediocre for that long.

I think it's over rated personally. They may pull a couple 2nd line forwards, but Vegas pulled a 30 goal scorer out of the fringes of an NHL roster.

Also the Ducks were so deep and stupid that they gave them a potential #1 D.

As an example, even from a team like Colorado, Seattle is looking at getting a 3rd liner at best. Or going for a player like Kaut or Bowers with very little experience. It's going to be a lot of that. Having 31 teams makes for less teams with 2nd line guys they'll actually be exposing.

I personally thought Seattle should have pointed that out, and at least asked for better draft odds. Especially since they paid more than Vegas.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Also a huge Avs fan but it is best to keep in mind there was serious and prolonged pain between the Stanley Cup years and the current group. Dark, dark times.
I don't follow the Avs as much as I want to but their series against the Sharks was a real eye opener to me. That team is so much fun to watch. I love the skill level the players have and more so I think they are coached right. No cocky or dirty nonsense.

Also, as an expansion team some 'dark' years are to be expected. Though, if you have good scouting and management in place, things could be turned around quicker. 2-3 years drafting in the top-10 would be a great start.

OregonCanuck

Dec 26, 2017
Bend, OR
I love Raty he could fall too. By getting a 1-6 pick no matter what. Clarke,Power,Hughes, Johnson all get my vote right now. But that could change a whole year of development. Going to be watching a lot of Michigan

Last edited:

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany

I'm all for BPA no matter what.
We're starting from scratch and can't look at positions, especially since we'll be drafting in the top 6 and should get a good player there.

Also, I think we'll be able to land quite a few solid defenders in the expansion draft(most teams will use the 7-3-1 format) and could go with offense at least with our own(maybe we can trade for more during the expansion draft) first rounder.

BTW: Dylan Guenther had a really good WHL season for the Oil Kings and might be someone if we fall to #6.
Sure he's currently listed at #3 at draft site, but wingers mostly fall a bit during the draft.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I don't follow the Avs as much as I want to but their series against the Sharks was a real eye opener to me. That team is so much fun to watch. I love the skill level the players have and more so I think they are coached right. No cocky or dirty nonsense.

Also, as an expansion team some 'dark' years are to be expected. Though, if you have good scouting and management in place, things could be turned around quicker. 2-3 years drafting in the top-10 would be a great start.

A full rebuild done mostly right takes about 5 years. I can't remember which GM said that, but it may have been Ron Francis lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad