2021 NHL Entry Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
OK, thanks.

I actually don't really know what to think of this draft and think it's a total crap shoot.
Probably besides Beniers, who seems to be a possible top two center.
I don't think its a total crap shoot but I do think its a draft which was already lacking in franchise and/or generational players and COVID made it even worse by hurting their development. My heart certainly says forward. My brain is actually backing it up because there was some recent studies done with how #1C's can have greater impact on teams than #1D's. That being said, like you, I am unsure if this draft has a true #1C. Beniers seems like a #2C to me as well. Eklund is projected more like a winger I believe. I would not be shocked if Johnson ends up being a better C than Beniers in this draft but most current projections have Beniers higher.

Personally, I would hate to pick #1 overall in this draft. I am glad we are going to be picking between #3-5. Still not an easy choice but I will trust Francis.

I mean, even with Owen Power(who most have at #1) I'm not so sure and I also don't really like all of those comparisons.

Last time I've read some guys(I think on TSN) comparing him to Victor Hedman and then starting to say "but of course he's not as good defensively, offensively and skating wise". :help:
I mean, so why the heck are you comparing him to Hedman exactly?

Overall I like Beniers, Eklund, Gunther and Clarke, while Hughes has probably the most upside thanks to his age.

I laugh at such comparisons too. Because they always end it with, 'This is a stylistic comparison only'. BTW .. Edvinsson was compared to OEL, which in itself is concerning to me. I like OEL but he is not a true #1. He has a lot of defensive issues and as someone who follows the Sharks (division rival), I have seen him plenty. That being said, I actually think Edvinsson is probably better defensively than OEL based on the reading I have done. Actually just by saying that, maybe Edvinsson would not be that bad of a choice .. ha ha.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I've been reading the same on Edvinsson, I'm not too keen on him either. Even Flames fans who expect to draft 11-12 aren't keen on him

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
I don't think its a total crap shoot but I do think its a draft which was already lacking in franchise and/or generational players and COVID made it even worse by hurting their development. My heart certainly says forward. My brain is actually backing it up because there was some recent studies done with how #1C's can have greater impact on teams than #1D's. That being said, like you, I am unsure if this draft has a true #1C. Beniers seems like a #2C to me as well. Eklund is projected more like a winger I believe. I would not be shocked if Johnson ends up being a better C than Beniers in this draft but most current projections have Beniers higher.

Personally, I would hate to pick #1 overall in this draft. I am glad we are going to be picking between #3-5. Still not an easy choice but I will trust Francis.

I meant that even in the top five there isn't elite or top level talent that you usually find at those positions.
But heck, if we end up with a #2 center, top six winger or top four defensman in this draft(with our first round pick) we should be OK with that.

That's also why I wouldn't mind trading down a couple of spots, if it got us some more pieces/draft picks.

BTW: We could actually draft #1, the odds are just us picking at #4 or #5, follwed, by a huge drop, at #1, #2 and #3.

I
I laugh at such comparisons too. Because they always end it with, 'This is a stylistic comparison only'. BTW .. Edvinsson was compared to OEL, which in itself is concerning to me. I like OEL but he is not a true #1. He has a lot of defensive issues and as someone who follows the Sharks (division rival), I have seen him plenty. That being said, I actually think Edvinsson is probably better defensively than OEL based on the reading I have done. Actually just by saying that, maybe Edvinsson would not be that bad of a choice .. ha ha.

Yeah, I don't know why they always have to take the best players and then basically calling those prospects a poor man's version of that.
Don't be lazy, try to find a more appropriate comparison ffs....:laugh:

Also, reading your post.
I can firmly include you on the maybe/maybe not Simon Edvinsson bandwagon? :joker:

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
The NHL has set the 2021 draft lottery odds.

Buffalo Sabres – 16.6%
Anaheim Ducks – 12.1%
Seattle Kraken – 10.3%
New Jersey Devils – 10.3%
Columbus Blue Jackets – 8.5%
Detroit Red Wings – 7.6%
San Jose Sharks – 6.7%
Los Angeles Kings – 5.8%
Vancouver Canucks – 5.4%
Ottawa Senators – 4.5%
Arizona Coyotes – 3.1%*
Chicago Blackhawks – 2.7%
Calgary Flames – 2.2%
Philadelphia Flyers – 1.8%
Dallas Stars – 1.4%
New York Rangers – 1.0%

The draft lottery will take place in less than two weeks on Jun 2nd 2021.

Reactions: Frozen

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
The NHL has set the 2021 draft lottery odds.

Buffalo Sabres – 16.6%
Anaheim Ducks – 12.1%
Seattle Kraken – 10.3%
New Jersey Devils – 10.3%
Columbus Blue Jackets – 8.5%
Detroit Red Wings – 7.6%
San Jose Sharks – 6.7%
Los Angeles Kings – 5.8%
Vancouver Canucks – 5.4%
Ottawa Senators – 4.5%
Arizona Coyotes – 3.1%*
Chicago Blackhawks – 2.7%
Calgary Flames – 2.2%
Philadelphia Flyers – 1.8%
Dallas Stars – 1.4%
New York Rangers – 1.0%

The draft lottery will take place in less than two weeks on Jun 2nd 2021.
Shit is starting to get real .. :)

Reactions: wraparound

Goomba

Mario is a Devils fan
May 7, 2021
I think Im going to pick up Seattle as my sort of keep-an-eye-on team out West; also helps keep up with all the players and teams out there

Being a Devils fan and loving Luke Hughes as a prospect; Im dying to get him so I hope you guys dont take him if were behind you!

Besides that bias however, I think getting one of Power Hughes or Beniers is ideal, with Eklund Guenther and Clarke a secondary.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
My top picks for this drafts are Power and Beniers. I get the feeling that we need to be top-3 to even have a chance at landing either of those two and even that may not be enough. Next option for me is Eklund but I am pretty sure he will be available close to 5.

Reactions: andys and ultradan

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
My top picks for this drafts are Power and Beniers. I get the feeling that we need to be top-3 to even have a chance at landing either of those two and even that may not be enough. Next option for me is Eklund but I am pretty sure he will be available close to 5.
Highest probabilities is picking 4th or 5th. Whatever happens Kraken will get good prospect.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Who are we hoping to pick in the 2nd round?

Some options I am looking at are: Lambos, Tuomaala or Chibrikov.

I know this is supposed to be a weak draft but I would love for us to get a couple of additional picks in the top 64 by taking on some contracts. I think there are some gems to be had in this draft.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Who are we hoping to pick in the 2nd round?

Some options I am looking at are: Lambos, Tuomaala or Chibrikov.

I know this is supposed to be a weak draft but I would love for us to get a couple of additional picks in the top 64 by taking on some contracts. I think there are some gems to be had in this draft.

I'm also hoping that Francis can add more picks during the expansion draft.

With our 2nd round pick I would look at someone like Connor Roulette, Nikita Chibrikov, Samuel Helenius(6-6 C from Finland) or maybe even Sebastian Cossa if he falls out of the first round.
Though, no matter what there's always a couple of guys falling and available with those early 2nd round picks.

BTW: Should we open threads for every pick so we can discuss each one seperatly?
Or should we just have one for the #2 pick and another one for those from rounds 2 - 7?

Reactions: andys

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I'm also hoping that Francis can add more picks during the expansion draft.

With our 2nd round pick I would look at someone like Connor Roulette, Nikita Chibrikov, Samuel Helenius(6-6 C from Finland) or maybe even Sebastian Cossa if he falls out of the first round.
Though, no matter what there's always a couple of guys falling and available with those early 2nd round picks.

BTW: Should we open threads for every pick so we can discuss each one seperatly?
Or should we just have one for the #2 pick and another one for those from rounds 2 - 7?
I think probably keeping the same thread is fine. I am pretty sure our draft capital will change as we get past the expansion draft and then change again during draft days itself.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
I know it's all about the expansion draft currently, but just two/three days later will be the entry draft.

The Athletic has a 7 round mock draft.

According to them we'll take:
#2 - Matthiew Beniers - C/Michigan
#35 - Olen Zellweger - LHD/Everett(WHL)
#67 - Alexei Kolosov - G/Minsk(KHL)
#99 - Janis Moser - LHD/Biel-NLA
#131 - Ty Gallagher - RHD/US NDTP-USHL
#163 - Nick DeGrazia - LW/Sudbury(OHL)
#195 - Dru Krebs - LHD/Medicine Hat(WHL)

Of course I'm hoping we'll have a couple more picks after the expansion draft.

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Have done a ton of Mock drafts!Seattle always ends up with Beniers...A D-man in the second round maybe Svozil or Chayka and if they aren't available then Goaltender Gaudreau. With the 3rd round I have them going Offense again C Roulette or G Richard(D-man)! I am biased and always make sure they get the creme de la creme so I throw in R St Louis,M Rysavy cause he's Czech( R Kron)! Good Luck to Seattle Kraken my new favorite team

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Have done a ton of Mock drafts!Seattle always ends up with Beniers...A D-man in the second round maybe Svozil or Chayka and if they aren't available then Goaltender Gaudreau. With the 3rd round I have them going Offense again C Roulette or G Richard(D-man)! I am biased and always make sure they get the creme de la creme so I throw in R St Louis,M Rysavy cause he's Czech( R Kron)! Good Luck to Seattle Kraken my new favorite team
Are you switching from the Kings to the Kraken then?

Reactions: andys

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
Anyone else enjoying watching the other teams trip over themselves trading guys around in order to deny SEA the player they think might be taken?
I don't blame these teams one bit, it's what they should be doing but I also find it pretty amusing.

Reactions: StarterHart

StarterHart

Waffle
Feb 2, 2018
Arlington, WA
I know it's all about the expansion draft currently, but just two/three days later will be the entry draft.

The Athletic has a 7 round mock draft.

According to them we'll take:
#2 - Matthiew Beniers - C/Michigan
#35 - Olen Zellweger - LHD/Everett(WHL)
#67 - Alexei Kolosov - G/Minsk(KHL)
#99 - Janis Moser - LHD/Biel-NLA
#131 - Ty Gallagher - RHD/US NDTP-USHL
#163 - Nick DeGrazia - LW/Sudbury(OHL)
#195 - Dru Krebs - LHD/Medicine Hat(WHL)

Of course I'm hoping we'll have a couple more picks after the expansion draft.

Zellweger at 35 would be awesome, but I have a feeling he goes earlier.

Reactions: Silkytentacles

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
That might be an east/west Canada thing. In the West people always say jersey.
No in the West we call it a sweater. I think it stems from the original game of hockey over a hundred-twenty,hundred forty years ago,they called it a sweater

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
No in the West we call it a sweater. I think it stems from the original game of hockey over a hundred-twenty,hundred forty years ago,they called it a sweater
Huh weird. Maybe generational then? I dont know very many people that would call it a sweater and I played for a long time.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
We've always called it a sweater at the rink at the adult level, tongue in cheek sort of, but they are definitely marketed as jerseys in the states, and from what I've seen, even up in BC.

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
We've always called it a sweater at the rink at the adult level, tongue in cheek sort of, but they are definitely marketed as jerseys in the states, and from what I've seen, even up in BC.
It was always a sweater in Canada until things got Americanized. Something to do with the game of hockey having their beginnings outdoors and players donning the heavy players sweaters to partly keep warm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad