2021 NHL Entry Draft Part 3 (Draft is 7/23 and 7/24, Sabres have #1 pick)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Normally I'd like to see them try to move up from those picks in the 80s and 90s but maybe this is the year to sit back.

In the future it will be interesting to see if talent is distributed more evenly throughout the rounds or if it ends up looking pretty normal

This organization needs as many lottery tickets as it can get its hands on. Trade back, GMKA (from your non-1st overall pick...though I could be convinced on the right deal to keep us top-3 or 4).

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
This organization needs as many lottery tickets as it can get its hands on. Trade back, GMKA (from your non-1st overall pick...though I could be convinced on the right deal to keep us top-3 or 4).
Those 3rd and 4th rounders have a pretty ugly hit rate. But maybe this year will be different

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
If you did nothing but stare at these prospects when they don't have the puck I think your opinion might sway.

Beniers and Eklund are elite at finding open space for themselves, creating space for their teammates, and naturally flashing across their teammates sightlines for simple passes. When their team doesn't have the puck, they both consistently take away time & space from their opponents. Take this play by Eklund here in the bottom clip, watch the exact moment he decides to accelerate and the path he picks to flash across his defenseman's sightline:

You just don't see 17-year olds think and move this way without the puck.

Power does waaaaay more standing and waiting. Granted his position has different responsibilities, and he could be coached to sit back and play more conservative. But there's not much there to suggest he thinks the game at an elite level when he doesn't have the puck on his stick.

Cool clip of a kid getting open on Euro frozen ocean. Still don't want a small winger down sliding into the draft at 1OA. Again, waaay too big of a swing for the top pick.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
I would love to have him on the team too. I think he'll be a great player but not a 1OA. If he kept pace throughout the season, he'd be a clear cut but a small winger backing into the draft just doesn't seem like a 1OA. I'm actually pretty surprised by how much support he's getting for that spot. It's really not going to happen.
Cool clip of a kid getting open on Euro frozen ocean. Still don't want a small winger down sliding into the draft at 1OA. Again, waaay too big of a swing for the top pick.
Idk you're not supposed to be swinging for the fences at 1OA. Granted, it's a shitty year to draft 1OA but you ideally want a high ceiling and high probability of reaching it. I just don't see Eklund as having that high probability that other posters see.

If you think its a bad draft, then its probably not a good idea to try to force your idea of what a number one pick should be.

I'd much rather watch Eklund turn into William Nylander, a guy that went 8th in a previous draft but becomes a 60-70 point winger, than try to find a guy with the tools of Ekblad, Mackinnon, etc when the talent just isn't there this year.

I don't get the production argument either. He's around Petterson and Lindholm in draft year scoring, which I sure would take. Ahead of Holtz and Raymond who went 4 and 7 in a supposedly much stronger draft. Ahead of Nylander. I think the size is definitely a downside, but he's in good company

Last edited:
Reactions: Fezzy126

m0pe

Feb 24, 2020
Who cares about size, draft all the shorties.

Eklund R1
Stankoven with BUF 2nd
Duke with BOS 2nd

Some guys are just too good to care about size. If they are able to find a way to constantly create opportunities and impact their own leagues despite being 5'10 or less then I want them.

Reactions: Dirty Dog

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I feel like this is exactly why scouch is banging his head against the wall though.

The guy posts a 26 minute video breaking down particular things he doesn't like about his game, and complimenting him in the o-zone.

Then lance throws out the same cliches we've been hearing, along with a highlight of power in the ozone which isn't really the "worrisome " area of his game.

Certainly doesn't make Will correct and Lance wrong, but I do see the frustrations.

Scouch may want to look into a new career if a tweet like this has him banging his head. The field he is in is populated with a lot of opinions that will be different than his. Its just the nature of things in this realm. Even the publication (McKean’s ) he writes for has Power #1.

Not to mention its a tweet from a beat writer for f*** sake. Its going to be bullet points and not something similar to Scouch’s 26min deep dive. Even if it agreed with Scouch that would be the case.

I could care less who we draft first overall. But I just find it comical how entrenched some of these draft/scout guys get about their takes. Which is why I don’t take them too seriously. .

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Let's pretend we get another top 10 pick like 5 or 9 and Beniers/Eklund/Power/Clarke are off the table. Who does everyone have?

I continue to be really impressed by McTavish as I watch u18 games, but Guenther has him in the stats department, and appears most scouts have Guenther ahead too. Is the fear that the offense just won't be there for Mctavish at the next level

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Let's pretend we get another top 10 pick like 5 or 9 and Beniers/Eklund/Power/Clarke are off the table. Who does everyone have?

I continue to be really impressed by McTavish as I watch u18 games, but Guenther has him in the stats department, and appears most scouts have Guenther ahead too. Is the fear that the offense just won't be there for Mctavish at the next level

Hughes would be the next best guy then. If we go Beniers/Eklund and then Hughes, that's a pretty solid draft. If we go Power with the 1st pick, then I think the next guy on my list would be Guenther, followed closely by McTavish.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

BananaSquad

Jun 13, 2013
Niagara

Kent Johnson

Reactions: Sabreality

m0pe

Feb 24, 2020

Hughes since he is part of that top tier imo.

If he was gone too, Guenther probably. I am not a huge fan of his but at the same time feel he is a near lock to be a top-6 winger. McTavish I love but there is part of me that thinks maybe he will just be a 3rd liner. Could see the argument for either though. Would also consider Johnson but don't think I would risk it over those 2.

Reactions: jc17

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
If you think its a bad draft, then its probably not a good idea to try to force your idea of what a number one pick should be.

I'd much rather watch Eklund turn into William Nylander, a guy that went 8th in a previous draft but becomes a 60-70 point winger, than try to find a guy with the tools of Ekblad, Mackinnon, etc when the talent just isn't there this year.

I don't get the production argument either. He's around Petterson and Lindholm in draft year scoring, which I sure would take. Ahead of Holtz and Raymond who went 4 and 7 in a supposedly much stronger draft. Ahead of Nylander. I think the size is definitely a downside, but he's in good company

I don't get the size argument either, he's already successfully playing against men and he's the same size as Jack Hughes. I don't remember anyone complaining about Hughes size a couple years ago.

Reactions: debaser66 and m0pe

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
I would like them to select Eklund.
But I won't be much upset with Power or Berniers either.
If they trade Eichel I hope they get a unprotected 1st for next year
since its a much stronger draft.

Reactions: Club

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia

Stopped reading after the first paragraph. Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad