2021 NHL Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Prepare for the worst guys, there’s no point anymore , expect , like the 11th pick or something like that and let’s just move on. This team is an utter failure. Watch bo horvat test free agency when the time comes.

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
Lets say we win two games in the last 3. I would want Ceulemans, Lambos and MacTavish. Ceulemans could be the top 4 rhd we are missing. Lambos has the potential to be the guy that everyone wonders how he went so low in his draft year. And Mactavish is a big, powerful scorer who could help anchor our top 6

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Fedz

Sponsor
Jul 18, 2003
Behind the Bench
Lets say we win two games in the last 3. I would want Ceulemans, Lambos and MacTavish. Ceulemans could be the top 4 rhd we are missing. Lambos has the potential to be the guy that everyone wonders how he went so low in his draft year. And Mactavish is a big, powerful scorer who could help anchor our top 6

Couldn't agree more. In fact, I agree so much so that if we slide into the 9-12 range I'm trading back (selecting Ceulemans, Lambos or Chayka) and trying to pick up a 2nd rounder.

This year is a year where 12 through 40 could all be interchangeable (with some exception) depending who saw who and when.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Myyyyyyy gosh, f in shit... I can't believe I am asking this....

who you guys got for postion 10-13?

at that point I wouldn't mind

Ceulemans, Bourgault, Sillinger or Fedor Svechkov .

Reactions: NomadicCanadian

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
It's astonishing to me that, considering just HOW DISAPPOINTING this season was, that the Canucks are going to finish with their worst draft position in the first round since 2015. That's 7 years (not counting 2020, since we didn't have a first round pick that year). That's insane, considering the team we iced was sick with covid for a decent portion of the season, was missing its top player, struggled to ever outscore or even outshoot the worst opponents, and structurally and statistically played objectively worse than the team has played in many many seasons. We are almost certainly picking 11 or 12th overall. How does that even happen?

IMHO there isn't much available in terms of top talent that late in the 1st round, this season. Wow, I hate to be a bummer, but it's moments like this when you just feel like this season from hell just continues on, even after the games aren't even being played.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
for me its the usual suspects right now

Beniers
Clarke
Powers
Hughes
Guenther
Evidsson
Eklund
Johnson

that's batch one for me. Although I don't really like Evidsson his skill set is very good, he's 6'4 flies with high speed with the puck but at times questionable decision making scares me. I will be quite happy if we make it out of draft day 1 with anyone on this list except for Evidsson.

Pretty much this. I have Johnson ahead of Evidsson and Eklund though.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Hopefully Flames can keep us in top 6. I am more and more wanting a forward. Canucks issue is forwards do not have the ability to keep the puck so our dmen play too much defense. Looking at the best teams they keep the puck and get it because of their forwards. Toronto, Colorado, Los Vegas. Boston Washinton, Pittsburgh all have some good dmen but it is forwards who drive the play. In the North Montreal and Calgary are seen as having better d than all the teams above them. Look no further than Florida who lost their best dman and have seem to have gotten better since. We know we can develop forwards they will have good young linemates to play with and there are always spots open for good ones. If all is the same I would be happy with another skilled puck pursuit forward like Hoglander or Podz. Eklund, Berniers seem perfect if there.

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
I know we need a D and I’m still holding out hope for a bottom five finish by getting swept by Calgary but drafting a following a forward is much easier as a fan who doesn’t pay too much attention to analytics.... it’s super disappointing thinking if we rolled over for Edmonton we were two loses away from bottom 5 and the pick of the litter, not super concerned about a big drop off but there is very much a tier 1 and tier 2 that dips around 6.
I’m also not in love with a single prospect nor do I fear drafting an Edvinson... it’s all about firing Benning for me, heck I’d give up our first just for that

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
Screen Shot 2021-05-16 at 9.21.54 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-05-16 at 9.20.58 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-05-16 at 9.20.39 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-05-16 at 9.19.19 AM.png
Now that the scouting department is dominated by meat and potatoes like these guys. Look for them to go back to sacrificing skill for glare. So who are the top draft prospects who kill with a gaze but have suspect skating and upside?

CanuckleBerry

Benning Survivor
Sep 27, 2017
New Westminster
Best to stop considering top 8 picks. The tank has failed, unless by some miracle there is a lottery win. We will undoubtedly be picking 10-13. If Ceulemans or McTavish aren't available I would consider trading down, getting an extra pick and taking Scott Morrow.

Last edited:

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I know we need a D and I’m still holding out hope for a bottom five finish by getting swept by Calgary but drafting a following a forward is much easier as a fan who doesn’t pay too much attention to analytics.... it’s super disappointing thinking if we rolled over for Edmonton we were two loses away from bottom 5 and the pick of the litter, not super concerned about a big drop off but there is very much a tier 1 and tier 2 that dips around 6.
I’m also not in love with a single prospect nor do I fear drafting an Edvinson... it’s all about firing Benning for me, heck I’d give up our first just for that
Edvinsson for me, is someone that needs great coaching. Has the raw tools, but you can't drop him into a terrible defensive team at the beginning of his career if you expect him to hit his ceiling. Think he'll get into too many bad habits and won't be able to turn it around later. If he lands in Anaheim, I think his chances of hitting his ceiling are much much better than if he lands in Van/Buf for example.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Unfortunately or fortunately, depending on your point of view, when it comes to drafting d-men the Canucks seem to always go the 'safe' route.

That's what led them to drafting Oil Juolevi, who was regarded at the time as more of a sure-fire top four guy than the others in the first round. And of course Quinn Hughes was also considered a 'safe pick', who probably fell a bit only because of the size factor.

So if all the highly rated d-man are off the board by the time the Canucks are drafting and Edvinsson is still there, it still might not be him.. But if you look at his size and skating skill, he'd be more than an adequate replacement for Alex Edler down the road.

So if he's still on the board when the Canucks pick, I'd forgive them for rolling the dice on him as a bit of boom or bust prospect. But doubt it happens.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Unfortunately or fortunately, depending on your point of view, when it comes to drafting d-men the Canucks seem to always go the 'safe' route.

That's what led them to drafting Oil Juolevi, who was regarded at the time as more of a sure-fire top four guy than the others in the first round. And of course Quinn Hughes was also considered a 'safe pick', who probably fell a bit only because of the size factor.

So if all the highly rated d-man are off the board by the time the Canucks are drafting and Edvinsson is still there, it still might not be him.. But if you look at his size and skating skill, he'd be more than an adequate replacement for Alex Edler down the road.

So if he's still on the board when the Canucks pick, I'd forgive them for rolling the dice on him as a bit of boom or bust prospect. But doubt it happens.
Clarke, for an Offensive Dman, his skating isn't where I would like it to be. Kind of like back in 2018 when we all expected Hughes to be off the board, thus the focus was mainly on Bouchard/Dobson/Boqvist. I rated Dobson highest due to his overall game. Bigger than Boqvist with no injury issues and a better skater than Bouchard, who was an PP QB with the big heavy shot. If skating is something that scouts truly believe that he can improve, then Clarke would be the guy I would rate at the top. Some players can improve their skating, others don't.
Power, think he just leaves you wanting more. Has all the tools to be elite.

Power, Edvindsson, Hughes have played the most of the Dmen this season. Clarke is limited to what he did in Europe. See how big a factor that is in this draft.

brock hughes007

Sep 12, 2019
victoria
Myyyyyyy gosh, f in shit... I can't believe I am asking this....

who you guys got for postion 10-13?

at that point I wouldn't mind

Ceulemans, Bourgault, Sillinger or Fedor Svechkov .
at that point of picking in the 10 to 13 spot,,I'd actually just trade the pick along with the Eriksson contract..if we are in the top 5 ,keep the pick....this draft is non thrilling anyways...majority of these guys are 2 to 3 years away...

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
at that point of picking in the 10 to 13 spot,,I'd actually just trade the pick along with the Eriksson contract..if we are in the top 5 ,keep the pick....this draft is non thrilling anyways...majority of these guys are 2 to 3 years away...
unlikely that they finish in the 10-13 range. 4 games in 5 nights. 5 in 7, 7 in 10 for them right now.

No reason to move assets for Loui. Clearly the team doesn't have enough to push forward next season. They should actually be more looking into move Miller for futures than adding.

It's the next contracts for Miller and Bo that are going to be the issue given their ages and term that they would want.

Philosophically, unless a player is really high end like Petey, I would almost always do a bridge like with Brock on a player coming off ELC. That would take them to 25/26, so even a max term deal after that would take them to 33/34. Like if Bo did a 3 year bridge, he would have had to extended last off-season at age 25, so max term would move him to 33. But, he's got 2 more years and is UFA at 28. Max term takes him to 36. For reference, the 2003 draft turns 36 in 2021. So, how many of those guys still went strong these past couple of seasons?

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009

we have eaten 85% of LE contract and he’s on the last year of it. In a year we are going to be garbage again. No way I’m giving away a pick to someone to take LE away after we waited all this time.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Please don’t draft a Russian. And before the Karen’s come with their pitchforks claiming racism , we have seen too many times , it’s too cushy now that the KHL is in their own home, no language barrier, almost no tax , etc. Too easy to pull a Tryamkin. No thanks.

Reactions: zcaptain

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Please don’t draft a Russian. And before the Karen’s come with their pitchforks claiming racism , we have seen too many times , it’s too cushy now that the KHL is in their own home, no language barrier, almost no tax , etc. Too easy to pull a Tryamkin. No thanks.
You might change your mind when Podkolzin arrives....and after watching the opener of that Vegas-Minny series, I'm sure the Wild are thrilled they waited on Karpizov....what a talent and the clear Calder winner!

Tonystretcher

Oct 25, 2017
Can you provide some examples of players that were clearly NHL calibre but didn’t come over because of their cushy KHL job? If you’re going to make that claim then back it up.

Reactions: Nucklehead Supreme
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad