Prospect Info: 2021 NHL Draft Thread Vol. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
That's why I don't know how to rank some guys. Power specifically.

tenor.gif

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
The more I watch, the more I get on board with this. He's really, really good.

This is the way. McTavish is 4th on Bob’s list, and I’m not even sure he’s better, as far as who’s 2nd center in the draft. Last time I liked a point/game or lower player as much was Thomas/Frost. It’s going to hurt to see Lucius.

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I'm pretty sure McTavish is not going to be above average.

I don’t want to shortchange him: he is a smart well rounded player. I like him plenty. I just think he’s more of a skilled grinder LW/C. He’s very average-above average across the board but not high end at much. I can’t really say he has a weakness though — even as a passer, he’s okay and there’s some flashes of creativity. But he’s the physical Canadian center who gets that typical sweet sweet draft boost. I’m sure his easy projectability plays a role. If you tell me he becomes a play driving 40-50 point guy, I think that’s fair — usage and position depending. Valuable but I imagine top 5-7 slotting looks a bit rich in following years.

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
What I couldn't gauge totally was Stromgren’s hockey sense. Specifically, related to his pace of play. He's not a great skater by any stretch -- probably below average -- but he's pretty smooth and a long strider, so I could see that coming along a bit with physical development. But on the small ice, I felt like he could play very slow at times. Like he went for the slow 1-on-1 dangle too often, or stickhandled right into traffic without much of a plan. He wasn't really creating space often for his linemates with his body or his playmaking. Good hands, but I wasn't sure how deep his game was, projection-wise, watching the u18s. I think there will be an abundance of better players if he’s a 2nd rounder truthfully.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
What I couldn't gauge totally was Stromgren’s hockey sense. Specifically, related to his pace of play. He's not a great skater by any stretch -- probably below average -- but he's pretty smooth and a long strider, so I could see that coming along a bit with physical development. But on the small ice, I felt like he could play very slow at times. Like he went for the slow 1-on-1 dangle too often, or stickhandled right into traffic without much of a plan. He wasn't really creating space often for his linemates with his body or his playmaking. Good hands, but I wasn't sure how deep his game was, projection-wise, watching the u18s. I think there will be an abundance of better players if he’s a 2nd rounder truthfully.

I watched a lot of him in Allsvenskan. I think his skating is better than below average. Strong down low and solid edges along with speed in stride. But it is ugly at times, bambi-like, especially when does not have puck. Soooo upright and does not lay down power with shorter strudes. Which is weird as sometimes when has the puck can motor for sure faster than without it and gets his legs going more and has longer strides. Not many players I can think of that have been like that really.

I think his IQ is pretty questionable for sure. He gets so lost at times and also even when forechecking sometimes gets crossed up with other man. Also he can be a puck hog and get tunnel vision. At times he gets so, so out of synch with linemates.

One of those players you can see, if things go well, being a 2nd liner. He can for sure score and makes plays on his own. But can he do anything else? I guess someone swings.

He did get better over the season though in Allsvenskan in details. But they wont ever come naturally to him.

Last edited:
Reactions: pit and Magua

daynus

Nov 25, 2002
Good Ole Saskatchewan
Visit site
The difficulty the scouts have is gonna create unusual draft boards. We have no clue, what our actual draft board looks like. I like Brennan Othman. I only saw him U18s. We need an identity. For a guy his size, he is feisty. I think a strong checking style, like the Islanders is the way we should go.

ted2019

History of Hockey
Oct 3, 2008
pittsgrove nj
The difficulty the scouts have is gonna create unusual draft boards. We have no clue, what our actual draft board looks like. I like Brennan Othman. I only saw him U18s. We need an identity. For a guy his size, he is feisty. I think a strong checking style, like the Islanders is the way we should go.

Can he put the puck in the net?

Kelmitchell2

Aug 30, 2020
How would you guys feel drafting Matthew coranato? How do you think he projects as an NHL player? I would love to have that goal scoring ability but I haven't had time to watch him enough to have an opinion on him

IronMarshal

Mar 7, 2002
Langhorne, PA
Visit site
How would you guys feel drafting Matthew coranato? How do you think he projects as an NHL player? I would love to have that goal scoring ability but I haven't had time to watch him enough to have an opinion on him
He is # 13 on my list:My 2021 NHL Draft List with Profiles from a Flyers Fan’s Perspective
Here is my write up:
Matthew Coronato LW 5’10.5 183 Matt Coronato is a high skill, scoring winger who has a lot of grit for a smaller player. He is fearless and will go into the dirty areas. Coronato is hyper competitive and the type of kid who will do whatever it takes to win. He has very shifty footwork and is a good skater. He is very smart and processes information quickly and efficiently. He always seems to be one step ahead of the play. Coronato is a volume shooter and has a high level of accuracy. He owns an excellent one timer slap shot combined with a very good wrister. He led the USHL by 16 goals. He is a good fit for the Flyers as he checks all of the boxes except size, but his compete level is so high that it mitigates the size problem. At 13 he is not a reach, and would be a good solid pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad