Prospect Info: 2021 NHL Draft Thread Vol. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Chibrikov is another SKA player that doesn't pass the stats test at the Junior level. Skilled for sure but sub 20% involvement at ES in the MHL is red flag territory. Possibly usage realted. Estimates have him at ~14 minutes per game which is quite low. I felt he was more opportunistic than impactful at the u18s, but at least he showed up on the scoreboard.

13 (for Columbus) would be too high for him imo.

I was going to post about him this afternoon. These stats make total sense to me from the MHL games I watched. Even watched another last night just to make sure I'm not missing something. Skill-wise, superficially he seems talented enough, but he just rarely stood out on his shifts. Not negatively -- just a little vanilla, with a smattering of subtle or skilled plays. He's a "fine" player, but I'm not really sure where he excels. Quite a lot of safe plays. Opportunistic is probably a good descriptor. He appeared to be on a top line (but not with Michkov) in my playoff viewings (averaging >19 min), but his regular season average is his average.

I'm not really dinging the small sample MHL scoring, and I didn't watch the u18s (where I assume there was some inflating)......but I'm just not sure how high his scoring ceiling actually is. He looks like a middle 6 prospect. As you know, I dislike more players than not right now, so it's hard for me to push him too far down, and I don't dislike him. But 13 is too rich.

I watched another Poltapov game immediately after, and it just strengthened my stance that he's a much more interesting, more talented prospect.

Insulin

Jan 23, 2013
Atlantic City
Wheeler released a mock based on what he thinks teams will do. Gave us Coronato, but said if Sillinger was there it would be the easiest pick in his mock. Says he thinks we would like to get a center, but 13 seems a little too early for the next tier of them. Gave shouts to Svechkov and Bolduc if we went center. Also mentioned Lysell, Lambos, and Olausson.

Reactions: IronMarshal

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I want nothing to do with Sillinger. I'll let another team take him, and they likely will in the general vicinity. His stats say, "You idiot!" But I just have a hunch he's an outlier. It's so weird to me how he's considered a projectable center -- Wheeler made sure to emphasize that -- when nothing about him looks like a center. Even if you like his projectable skills......he's a wing through and through.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Lysell is hysterical. That guy is like a little wind-up toy. He is insanely fast and flies around with his hair on fire. The problem is that his mind seems to go a mile-a-minute just like his legs. I don't know if he has much NHL scoring upside, which is a negative for a tiny waterbug at 13. He should be a hell of a penalty killer, though.

Tossing this out to get your opinion, GB, but would you say that Athanasiou is in any way a comparable for Lysell? Your description made me think of him.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Tossing this out to get your opinion, GB, but would you say that Athanasiou is in any way a comparable for Lysell? Your description made me think of him.
Well, both can certainly fly. Otherwise I don’t think they’re that reminiscent. Athanasiou doesn’t have Lysell’s motor, IMO. Lysell is also a lot smaller.

Reactions: BernieParent

hystyk1921

Jun 17, 2015
south jersey
I was going to post about him this afternoon. These stats make total sense to me from the MHL games I watched. Even watched another last night just to make sure I'm not missing something. Skill-wise, superficially he seems talented enough, but he just rarely stood out on his shifts. Not negatively -- just a little vanilla, with a smattering of subtle or skilled plays. He's a "fine" player, but I'm not really sure where he excels. Quite a lot of safe plays. Opportunistic is probably a good descriptor. He appeared to be on a top line (but not with Michkov) in my playoff viewings (averaging >19 min), but his regular season average is his average.

I'm not really dinging the small sample MHL scoring, and I didn't watch the u18s (where I assume there was some inflating)......but I'm just not sure how high his scoring ceiling actually is. He looks like a middle 6 prospect. As you know, I dislike more players than not right now, so it's hard for me to push him too far down, and I don't dislike him. But 13 is too rich.

I watched another Poltapov game immediately after, and it just strengthened my stance that he's a much more interesting, more talented prospect.

yep poltapov is another one with some talent

hystyk1921

Jun 17, 2015
south jersey
Wheeler released a mock based on what he thinks teams will do. Gave us Coronato, but said if Sillinger was there it would be the easiest pick in his mock. Says he thinks we would like to get a center, but 13 seems a little too early for the next tier of them. Gave shouts to Svechkov and Bolduc if we went center. Also mentioned Lysell, Lambos, and Olausson.

I wouldn’t be mad at any one of those picks either

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I want nothing to do with Sillinger. I'll let another team take him, and they likely will in the general vicinity. His stats say, "You idiot!" But I just have a hunch he's an outlier. It's so weird to me how he's considered a projectable center -- Wheeler made sure to emphasize that -- when nothing about him looks like a center. Even if you like his projectable skills......he's a wing through and through.
Yeah I was watching him the other night. The skating is just so stiff and upright. The frame looks maxed out too so I don't know where the development is coming there. Shows no playmaking instincts. The team was bad, but a lot of low percentage shots off the rush and such. The shot is incredible and he wears #34 so I'm guessing it's a lot of Matthews inspired curl and drags, but will that fly in the bigs? EP had an interesting stat in his writeup. He engaged in twice as many puck battles in the offensive end than he did in the defensive end - on a horrible possession team. The narratives get pushed around this time of year, but he might actually be bad and lazy on the defensive end. He and Lucius are wingers to me. I at least found Lucius was a more willing passer even if the execution wasn't there enough (admittedly I haven't watched enough of Lucius).

Sillinger's stats are tremendous though. He had a point on every other goal for Sioux Falls. It's kind of like the "Too Big to Fail" Theory at work. :laugh:

Trade down gang
You mean trade out? To Columbus?

This is probably the year to trade the pick for a player...the right player of course. If by some miracle they keep it, I likely won't be pounding the table for anyone in particular. Trade back and try to triple up in that 20-45 range may be the way to go. After the top 10-11 or so, the guys are all kind of the same. Just a matter of your play style preference.

If Luke Hughes falls though...that'd be interesting. He's an incredible talent. Maybe a bit too individualistic for a defensemen but man is he impressive on the attack. The skating, the hands, the puck protection, the playmaking when he's locked in. Top notch. I'm a Brandt Clarke believer, but he's never going to be able to do what Hughes can do right now. Might be a bit too Poor Defensively at this stage for Chuck though. The rush defense is hit or miss.

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes

Lysell is one of the most tenacious players in the draft, so I don't think so. He's very skilled as a puck handler, but I definitely would not call him a play controller or playmaker or change of speed player. It's hard to tell sometimes in SHL games -- well, the 2 available on YouTube, along with Scouching's video -- where he'd actively get looked off. It's not a negative to be a total buzzer and quick strike player, but it does make me wonder about his ultimate scoring upside. He's definitely a rush attack kid, but I think his off-puck work is dangerous in cycles and not to be discounted. He's got a knack for motion and timing. There's absolutely a possible future where he can slot in a scoring line, with some puck dominant passers, and feast. Maybe he'd excel in the bumper role on a PP, if he's not a half-wall guy. Wish I had more games to view to speak with added confidence.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Well, both can certainly fly. Otherwise I don’t think they’re that reminiscent. Athanasiou doesn’t have Lysell’s motor, IMO. Lysell is also a lot smaller.

Lysell is one of the most tenacious players in the draft, so I don't think so. He's very skilled as a puck handler, but I definitely would not call him a play controller or playmaker or change of speed player. It's hard to tell sometimes in SHL games -- well, the 2 available on YouTube -- where he'd actively get looked off. It's not a negative to be a total buzzer and quick strike player, but it does make me wonder about his ultimate scoring upside. He's definitely a rush attack kid, but I think his off-puck work is dangerous in cycles and not to be discounted. He's got a knack for motion and timing. There's absolutely a possible future where he can slot in a scoring line, with some puck dominant passers, and feast. Maybe he'd excel in the bumper role on a PP, if he's not a half-wall guy. Wish I had more games to view.

Thank you both for your answers to my non-evidence-based offering. GB's comment about Lysell's speed and mile-a-minute mind made me think of players like Athanasiou who can get the puck 200' up the ice but end up coughing it up in the process half the time.

Reactions: Magua

Chinatown88

Daniels QB3
Jan 17, 2012
The Universe
Sillinger's stats are tremendous though. He had a point on every other goal for Sioux Falls. It's kind of like the "Too Big to Fail" Theory at work. :laugh:

You mean trade out? To Columbus?

This is probably the year to trade the pick for a player...the right player of course. If by some miracle they keep it, I likely won't be pounding the table for anyone in particular. Trade back and try to triple up in that 20-45 range may be the way to go. After the top 10-11 or so, the guys are all kind of the same. Just a matter of your play style preference.

If Luke Hughes falls though...that'd be interesting. He's an incredible talent. Maybe a bit too individualistic for a defensemen but man is he impressive on the attack. The skating, the hands, the puck protection, the playmaking when he's locked in. Top notch. I'm a Brandt Clarke believer, but he's never going to be able to do what Hughes can do right now. Might be a bit too Poor Defensively at this stage for Chuck though. The rush defense is hit or miss.

Why you heff to be like this? I don't want to acknowledge the dumb shenanigans that will happen cause of Chuckles.

AS000893_11.gif

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
Yeah 2022/2023. US sends their B squad to this tournament. I don't think Canada is sending a team so the tournament is a lot less interesting than usual.
Ahh that sucks about Canada. One summer some guy on YouTube (Dr Pablo Ramirez or something?) streamed the games and I watched a bunch. Looking at it now that was kind of a stacked squad.

USA U18 at eliteprospects.com

I thought Boo Nieves was gonna be good

Reactions: FLYguy3911

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
Of all the players I have viewings on in this draft (admittedly very few), the only player who struck me as a Franchise-altering talent was Jesper Wallstedt. As such, he’s who I actually want them to draft. I’m probably in the minority on this too. He’s a phenomenal talent. Fit, holes on the current roster, or team needs be damned. Wallstedt is incredible.

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
TVkdEBS.png

This checks every box from Meltzer. :laugh:

Mature physically -- for a player with serious skating power issues (but they're no concern of course) -- as a positive, two-way upside because of PKing, consistency, goalz, one of the safest players in the draft, and of course a Flyers comparison......to Joel Farabee.

I do agree that Sillinger is mature physically.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
TVkdEBS.png

This checks every box from Meltzer. :laugh:

Mature physically -- for a player with serious skating power issues (but they're no concern of course) -- as a positive, two-way upside because of PKing, consistency, goalz, one of the safest players in the draft, and of course a Flyers comparison......to Joel Farabee.

I do agree that Sillinger is mature physically.

Reactions: Magua

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes

I saw it the other day, and I've seen Sillinger. I am less flattering than Scouching even. I'll eat my shoe if Sillinger sticks at center; he's probably the laziest defender I've seen this class, even if he'll chase the odd hit......I mean complete two-way player! His skating stride is short and non-efficient, and he has a tendency to just float around back on his heels. His playmaking is non-existent, let alone for a center. What an insult to Joel Farabee, who shared nothing in common as a draft eligible.

He's got great hands and shooting, but that's the single hardest skill to project, especially when you're so deficient in other areas and rely exclusively on generating your own shot at the junior level. The idea our system lacks shooting after just selecting Foerster, who is simply a superior player to me, is worthy of a chuckle. I don't really care for him anywhere near our range. Sillinger has talent, but one of the safest players in our range? He might be the least safe, without the raw upside to mitigate the risk. I swear I don't know what people watch or don't watch sometimes. It's cliche-a-palooza.

Last edited:

IronMarshal

Mar 7, 2002
Langhorne, PA
Visit site
This one should excite/please the board if it is correct, but since it looks like crazy town it should give you all a good laugh. McKeen's Draft guide is out and it has the Flyers taking Kent Johnson with the 13th pick. I believe everyone would be thrilled if this happened. I can't see it happening at all though. There should be no way that Johnson falls out of the top 10 let alone top 12.
They have McTavish going third, which I can't see happening, but I have seen him in the 3-5 range elsewhere, and the Capn's favorite name, Logan Stankoven going to Calgary (because they have already drafted and enjoyed the success of small highly skilled Johnny Hockey Gaudreau, so of course they would want Stankoven) right before the Flyers pick. Both top rated goalies are projected in the top 11 a well.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Henry Miller

Sep 5, 2020
In a draft such as this that is a crapshoot because of covid, I wouldn’t be opposed to a swing-for-the-fences type of pick that is boom or bust but has high potential

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad