2021 NHL Draft Thread: Brackett and Friends

Status
Not open for further replies.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
Anyone watch (scouching) on youtube? He has great takes on prospects.
Not a fan after watching some of them last year, haven’t seen this years. Seems like they just watch a game or two of film and use single plays to make huge sweeping statements about the players, I disagreed with several of them, though everyone has different opinions.

Reactions: 2Pair

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Based on what little scouting there was I don't think there's that many good players to get tbh

It's pretty chaotic; you have guys like Raty and Lambos in the late teens, early 20s. Mackie is rated anywhere from the 20s to 40s. I'd rather get more guys to work with than less.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
This is the weakest draft in over a decade and it's not even close. A lot of teams will get this draft very, very, very wrong.

Unsurprisingly a shit organization like Buffalo is giddy about this draft. Just goes to show you how absolutely horrid their scouting department is. There's only a handful of players in this draft that project out to having star potential and it's very likely not a single one of them will be available in the 20's.

At this point the only guy I'd be willing to trade up for is Eklund.
I really think the Lucius kid is going to be a 1st line caliber player.

And when it comes to scouting prospects, I'm always right, 30% of the time

Reactions: Slotski and wfode09

Minnesnota

Apr 20, 2017
Denver
I really think the Lucius kid is going to be a 1st line caliber player.

And when it comes to scouting prospects, I'm always right, 30% of the time
Lucius projects highly in this class. There are 10 players in this class that project a higher "star potential" than Owen Power, and Lucius is one of them.

1*NmXoL1zmy317XDOhhBGthQ.png

guitarhunterdude

Jan 2, 2017
'Sota
all motor and no skill is their review of him i suppose?
Looks like it's an NHLe-score based list to me, which IIRC is totally production based (i.e. looks at NHL-"equivalent" production based on the prospects point totals in a given league at a given age). Fun for easy quick charts to look at like Byron Bader throws out all the time, but fairly useless for any actual player eval in my opinion.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
Looks like it's an NHLe-score based list to me, which IIRC is totally production based (i.e. looks at NHL-"equivalent" production based on the prospects point totals in a given league at a given age). Fun for easy quick charts to look at like Byron Bader throws out all the time, but fairly useless for any actual player eval in my opinion.
makes sense i suppose. just brings you back to trusting your eyes i guess. he wont be a zegras but he sure looks like he can be a quality C in the league.

Minnesnota

Apr 20, 2017
Denver
I think you would be quite surprised how much scoring rate in feeder leagues actually translates to NHL success. But like with anything, it's only 1 piece to use for evaluation.

TwiztedHeat

Feb 6, 2010
Losing Soucy and Suter makes me REALLY want Chayka with one of our firsts. LHD NHL comparable is Brodin, yes please.

guitarhunterdude

Jan 2, 2017
'Sota
I think you would be quite surprised how much scoring rate in feeder leagues actually translates to NHL success. But like with anything, it's only 1 piece to use for evaluation.
Wouldn't be that surprised really, everyone remembers that "potato vs. Canucks GM" article from years ago. In the aggregate it will generally get you more productive pros. When looking at individual players, it doesn't provide a ton of info though. As you say, one piece (though obviously a big one).

Reactions: Minnesnota

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
The problem with the chart above is how do they account for Power, Beniers, and Johnson being in the NCAA’S a year ahead of schedule?

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Losing Soucy and Suter makes me REALLY want Chayka with one of our firsts. LHD NHL comparable is Brodin, yes please.
You don’t see players with his size and skating outside the NHL, which makes me think he’ll certainly play. But, I wonder if he’s more than a bottom pairing guy.

Reactions: TwiztedHeat

Minnesnota

Apr 20, 2017
Denver
The problem with the chart above is how do they account for Power, Beniers, and Johnson being in the NCAA’S a year ahead of schedule?
How are you determining that they're in college a year ahead of schedule? This model is standardized allowing for an apples-to-apples comparison between the scoring rate of two prospects in different leagues. Age, weight, height are factored into it as well.

How much reading do you want to do to understand this specific NHLe model?

NHL Equivalency and Prospect Projection Models: Introduction (Part 1)
NHL Equivalency and Prospect Projection Models: Building the NHL Equivalency Model (Part 2)
NHL Equivalency and Prospect Projection Models: Building the Prospect Projection Model (Part 3)
NHL Equivalency and Prospect Projection Models: Analyzing the 2021 Draft Class (Part 4)

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
How are you determining that they're in college a year ahead of schedule? This model is standardized allowing for an apples-to-apples comparison between the scoring rate of two prospects in different leagues. Age, weight, height are factored into it as well.

NHL Equivalency and Prospect Projection Models: Building the NHL Equivalency Model (Part 2)
NHL Equivalency and Prospect Projection Models: Building the Prospect Projection Model (Part 3)
NHL Equivalency and Prospect Projection Models: Analyzing the 2021 Draft Class (Part 4)
Are there any good retrospective analyses of previous NHLe projections? I've seen the model thrown around for a few years now so I assume someone's gone through and looked at whether it hits more than it misses, but I haven't been able to find one.

Minnesnota

Apr 20, 2017
Denver
Are there any good retrospective analyses of previous NHLe projections? I've seen the model thrown around for a few years now so I assume someone's gone through and looked at whether it hits more than it misses, but I haven't been able to find one.
Patrick Bacon's (the one I linked) is self-analyzed. He dives into that in the 4-part series. He touches on previous NHLe models, advancements, pros and cons of older models & alternative models, how he addresses biases, etc, etc.

From the research I've done, it's the most comprehensive and widely used and accepted NHLe model available.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
The other thing with NHLe and this draft is that a lot of guys didn't even get to play, a lot more of the guys who played had awkward, or at the very least, shortened seasons, some guys were playing in leagues they wouldn't otherwise have been playing in. Maybe you can use it on a case by case basis depending on the player's circumstances, but using it large scale to draw conclusions about the draft in general is folly. NHLe should be taken with a massive grain of salt for this class.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017

Very few players spend their draft year in the NCAA. The fact that guys get more credit for tearing up the USHL than they do for being good players in the NCAA’S tells you that the formula is flawed

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Patrick Bacon's (the one I linked) is self-analyzed. He dives into that in the 4-part series. He touches on previous NHLe models, advancements, pros and cons of older models & alternative models, how he addresses biases, etc, etc.

From the research I've done, it's the most comprehensive and widely used and accepted NHLe model available.
I see where he explains some of the testing he did to calibrate the model against existing data, which is most of Part 3. But the test of a good predictive model is usually making predictions and seeing how often those predictions come true. Running an area-under-curve analysis of draft classes where we already know that 70-some % aren't ever going to make the NHL seems like kind of a weird way to test it (which, to the author's credit, he seems to cop to in Part 3).

Minnesnota

Apr 20, 2017
Denver
Very few players spend their draft year in the NCAA. The fact that guys get more credit for tearing up the USHL than they do for being good players in the NCAA’S tells you that the formula is flawed
The USHL has an NHLe of .143 whereas the NCAA has an NHLe of .194

The 4-part series does a fantastic job of describing in detail both the NHLe model he created and the prospect projection model. I'd highly recommend reading it to get a better understanding of what is being taken into account, and how.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
The USHL has an NHLe of .143 whereas the NCAA has an NHLe of .194

The 4-part series does a fantastic job of describing in detail both the NHLe model he created and the prospect projection model. I'd highly recommend reading it to get a better understanding of what is being taken into account, and how.
Are those numbers strictly for 17-18 year olds?

Reactions: 16thOverallSaveUs

Minnesnota

Apr 20, 2017
Denver
No, why would they be?

NHLe is just trying to answer a simple question: How many points in League X are worth 1 point in the NHL?

The prospect projection model is the meat & potatoes.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
No, why would they be?

NHLe is just trying to answer a simple question: How many points in League X are worth 1 point in the NHL?

The prospect projection model is the meat & potatoes.
Because scoring at a PPG pace in the NCAA is quite a bit more impressive at 18 than it is at 23.

I am not saying that the above formula is worthless, but it's fairly obvious that their calculations for NCAA players doesn't work when used on kids that could still be in high school/juniors. The fact that they weigh points equally for defensman and forwards doesn't make much sense either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad