Prospect Info: 2021 NHL Draft Prospects

simonedvinsson

May 26, 2020
L'Heureux has been suspended for:
  • removing an opponent's helmet during a fight and spitting
  • high sticking (accumulated with various other misconducts)
  • flipping the bird
  • involvement in line brawl
Additionally, he's pretty low effort off the puck and is generally pretty inconsistent.

Do you guys really want another Sean Avery? Guy was an embarrassment in his time here. Couldn't wait to get rid of him.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Your L'Heureaux (who I am also very fond of) is like my Bourgault. I actually was thinking if we could get Bourgault at our pick and L'Heureaux with Washington's pick, we would really add some offense and attitude to this team. We could go D on two of our second rounders (Vladislav Lukashevich/Evan Nause), forward with our other second (William Stromgren) and one of the Russian goalies in the third, and finish the third with another forward (Niko Huutanen).

Sasha Pastujov and Josh Doan are 2 other kids that look like they've got some skill and chipiness to their games. If we're looking at adding size and nastiness that can play with our skill guys then those are 2 others I'd like to add.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
  • flipping the bird
Additionally, he's pretty low effort off the puck and is generally pretty inconsistent.

Do you guys really want another Sean Avery? Guy was an embarrassment in his time here. Couldn't wait to get rid of him.

Well...kind of? This team needs some attitude.

simonedvinsson

May 26, 2020
I know he plays RD for team USA but is he exclusively a RD? I thought he plays both sides well and it was a lack of righty's thing.

LD: :help:
RD: Moritz Seider, Luke Hughes, Filip Hronek
Oh, I agree. I suspect it's a case of needing a body on the right side, but it's worth noting that's where he's been playing.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Oh, I agree. I suspect it's a case of needing a body on the right side, but it's worth noting that's where he's been playing.

I think he is better when he is on the left, that is a part of why I have him #1, is I see him as a top pairing left-handed D-man. Sure he can play the right, he won't have to here, but hey Hronek goes down for 10 games you could split Hughes and Seider and play both on the right. It gives you coverage and flexibility, never a bad thing for a player to be, Luke Hughes is extremely versatile.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
These are the only 9 names I am really interested in for our first pick. How would you all rank them? (@Rzombo4 prez ? @The Zetterberg Era ?)

I'd probably rank them like this for us:

Power
Hughes
Beniers
Johnson
Guenther
Edvinsson
Eklund
Clarke
Wallstedt

Hughes
Power
Edvinsson
Guenther
Beniers
Johnson
Wallstedt

working on the next grouping now. But for me I have a prominent 7 right there. I know there are going to be names that people have higher, that is just how I feel about them right now.

Reactions: Frk It

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
I think he is better when he is on the left, that is a part of why I have him #1, is I see him as a top pairing left-handed D-man. Sure he can play the right, he won't have to here, but hey Hronek goes down for 10 games you could split Hughes and Seider and play both on the right. It gives you coverage and flexibility, never a bad thing for a player to be, Luke Hughes is extremely versatile.
Let's not forget that Hughes is exceptionally young for this draft class in addition to everything else he already brings. He's almost a full year younger than Power, so when it comes to betting on a player's development, he's my #1 pick AINEC.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

HoweFan

Jan 10, 2017
I see EP no longer has Pinelli 6th even though he hadn’t played a game. Now he’s played a few they drop him to the 20’s. I absolutely hate it when scouting services do that just for controversy. I hope Lysell has a great tournament and jumps up a few spots for some teams. I think we draft 9-10 range

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I see EP no longer has Pinelli 6th even though he hadn’t played a game. Now he’s played a few they drop him to the 20’s. I absolutely hate it when scouting services do that just for controversy. I hope Lysell has a great tournament and jumps up a few spots for some teams. I think we draft 9-10 range

Or because he should not have been rated 6th to begin with?

Reactions: alexislafreniere

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018

Such is life when you can’t make your case but others can make theirs.

It sucks for some kids and they will fall because teams don’t want to just go on a whim

Fyodorov

Apr 20, 2021
Let's not forget that Hughes is exceptionally young for this draft class in addition to everything else he already brings. He's almost a full year younger than Power, so when it comes to betting on a player's development, he's my #1 pick AINEC.

Would love to draft him too, but when you look at the standings now, and the fact the Wings will keep racking up the points the rest of the way, there's simply no way he will be around when they pick.

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
So, what about that later pick from Washington? What do you think their strategy will be? Will they go after Wallstedt and try to draft a center like Bolduc, or Bourgault later in the first round?

Or maybe the other way around, try to draft a center early and then go after Cossa later in the first for their goalie?

Maybe no goalie in the first?

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
The one I'm fascinated by is Edvinsson, and where he goes. Do you draft someone else to minimize the risk you're taking, or embrace it and take an extra risky player in an already risky draft year?

The thing that I still take a little bit of comfort in is that we saw Hakan dip into the Frolunda well last year. He still knows the people in that org and should have a good feel for both Edvinsson and even Lysell behind the scenes.

As for the player on the ice, I think it just depends on when we are talking about picking him. I could definitely see the pick happening around our current slot, but up in the lottery slots I think I would lean elsewhere.

Reactions: alexislafreniere

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
  • flipping the bird

I dont think hes Avery. I think hes a good prospect thats really hard to play against. Suspensions in Canadian junior these days are a dime a dozen and people said the exact same thing about Givani Smith and Bertuzzi coming out. They were side show, Avery types. In reality, theyre guys who play physical enough for the physical game to translate at the next level, so as juniors it seems like they cross the line a lot. DO you want a guy flipping off the opposing fans or whatever? No, but lets not pretend plenty of good players havent taunted in that way before either. Go watch Yzerman giving the belt to Domi after Probert dummied him round two as an example of taunting. I dont actually think he spit on the guy though. During covid, he would've got a much larger suspension if that were actually true.

Youre right about flipping the bird, but we're gonna call a guy Avery for getting ran from behind, showing some back bone by going after the guy and ripping the guys helmet off when he fights him? Or getting involved in a line brawl? Or high sticking lol?

Hes one of the meanest kids in the draft and he has some discipline to be worked on (just like Smith and Bert) but hes not Sean Avery. I hope the wings take him with the Caps pick or their early second.

Sasha Pastujov and Josh Doan are 2 other kids that look like they've got some skill and chipiness to their games. If we're looking at adding size and nastiness that can play with our skill guys then those are 2 others I'd like to add.

Pastujov is a guy I want to watch more of at the U18s. I think he could be a good choice with Washingtons pick depending where it is. I dont know hwat to think about Doan. A lot of the time these second year draft eligibles that are lighting it up dont end up panning out. I wouldnt pick him very high I dont think but also with the amount of picks the wings have he might be worth a risk earlier than most. Having those NHL bloodlines might help him out.

At the top of the draft its been proven that age doesnt really matter. In those elite prospects at the top of the draft guys who are a bit older actually pan out a little more. I wouldnt let age dictate much at all in a top 10 pick. These guys are all physically developed to the point that they can be drafted that high already, age isnt going to do much for them

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
For any fans of Scouching, his Luke Hughes report went up for Patreon's last week. Pretty glowing stuff. Killer offensive transition numbers, excellent dangerous pass completion in the offensive zone, really effective at taking a lot of shots and getting them through traffic. Defense is a mixed bag, as expected. Needs to get stronger and react quicker. Lines up pretty closely with my viewings of Luke with the NTDP this year.

The possibility of a Hughes-Seider pairing gets me pretty excited. Not sure we'll see it, but my fingers are crossed.

I know a lot of people aren't enamored with the top end of this draft, but if we could walk out with Power or Hughes I'm popping champagne. Throw in the WSH 1st, three 2nds, and even our high 3rd and I think we could walk away from this draft with a lot of talent.

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
I dont think hes Avery. I think hes a good prospect thats really hard to play against. Suspensions in Canadian junior these days are a dime a dozen and people said the exact same thing about Givani Smith and Bertuzzi coming out. They were side show, Avery types. In reality, theyre guys who play physical enough for the physical game to translate at the next level, so as juniors it seems like they cross the line a lot. DO you want a guy flipping off the opposing fans or whatever? No, but lets not pretend plenty of good players havent taunted in that way before either. Go watch Yzerman giving the belt to Domi after Probert dummied him round two as an example of taunting. I dont actually think he spit on the guy though. During covid, he would've got a much larger suspension if that were actually true.

Youre right about flipping the bird, but we're gonna call a guy Avery for getting ran from behind, showing some back bone by going after the guy and ripping the guys helmet off when he fights him? Or getting involved in a line brawl? Or high sticking lol?

Hes one of the meanest kids in the draft and he has some discipline to be worked on (just like Smith and Bert) but hes not Sean Avery. I hope the wings take him with the Caps pick or their early second.

Pastujov is a guy I want to watch more of at the U18s. I think he could be a good choice with Washingtons pick depending where it is. I dont know hwat to think about Doan. A lot of the time these second year draft eligibles that are lighting it up dont end up panning out. I wouldnt pick him very high I dont think but also with the amount of picks the wings have he might be worth a risk earlier than most. Having those NHL bloodlines might help him out.

At the top of the draft its been proven that age doesnt really matter. In those elite prospects at the top of the draft guys who are a bit older actually pan out a little more. I wouldnt let age dictate much at all in a top 10 pick. These guys are all physically developed to the point that they can be drafted that high already, age isnt going to do much for them
Of course age shouldn't be the sole reason to draft someone, but if I'm choosing among similarly talented players, I'll take the younger player, especially when Luke is significantly younger than nearly every other consensus top 10 pick.
For any fans of Scouching, his Luke Hughes report went up for Patreon's last week. Pretty glowing stuff. Killer offensive transition numbers, excellent dangerous pass completion in the offensive zone, really effective at taking a lot of shots and getting them through traffic. Defense is a mixed bag, as expected. Needs to get stronger and react quicker. Lines up pretty closely with my viewings of Luke with the NTDP this year.

The possibility of a Hughes-Seider pairing gets me pretty excited. Not sure we'll see it, but my fingers are crossed.

I know a lot of people aren't enamored with the top end of this draft, but if we could walk out with Power or Hughes I'm popping champagne. Throw in the WSH 1st, three 2nds, and even our high 3rd and I think we could walk away from this draft with a lot of talent.
The really enticing part of Hughes is that unlike his brothers he possess the frame to gain a ton more strength before he reaches the NHL. while still being providing an impact offensively and excellent skating.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Of course age shouldn't be the sole reason to draft someone, but if I'm choosing among similarly talented players, I'll take the younger player, especially when Luke is significantly younger than nearly every other consensus top 10 pick.

The really enticing part of Hughes is that unlike his brothers he possess the frame to gain a ton more strength before he reaches the NHL. while still being providing an impact offensively and excellent skating.

But...why?

I'm on board with the Hughes pick because he's got top 5 skating ability in this draft. But again, why does his age factor into his selection? It's not like he's young and skipped a whole level. He's still playing with his peers.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
I think Hughes specifically shows some traits that younger players tend to show especially on defense, things that can improve with time. I doubt he'll ever be a great defensive d-man but with his skating it should be adequate. Would probably work fantastically with Seider.

Him and Power for example are about 10 months apart, that's absolutely something that needs to be taken into account.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
I think we draft 9-10 range

We’d have to get absolutely f***ed to draft 9th, let alone 10th.

PPG wise we’re currently sitting at 7th with LAK having four GIH. Ottawa is a point behind with a GIH. CLB is a point behind and even on games.

Barring a lottery win we’re probably picking between #5 and #8.

Reactions: Unfriendly Ghost

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad