Prospect Info: 2021 NHL Draft Prospects

Hoog

Feb 4, 2021
Sebastian Cossa is who I want with WAS's 1st rounder this year. A huge goalie (6'6'') with impressive numbers, albeit with an impressive team in front of him. He saved 376 out of the 398 shots he faced in 15 games played, with 3 shutouts.

Huge fan of Cossa with that pick but I was pointing out later round goalies who I really like if we miss out on Cossa.

Hoog

Feb 4, 2021
I'm not too worried about our pick as long as we are in the top 7. I think most are all about the same rating for me. Here is my top 7 in no particular order:

Power
Hughes
Eklund
Guenther
Johnson
Beniers
Xavier Bourgault- my dark horse pick by Stevie (dynamic center, relentless, and scores goals)

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I agree that Eklund is more NHL ready than Johnson. But to me, if we're drafting a winger top 10, I'm drafting the guy with the best chance to be a franchise-changing talent.

I think Eklund has a nice upside, but I think that Johnson (and to a lesser extent Guenther) has the potential to be the best player in this draft. If we're picking in the #6-9 range, Johnson is probably the guy I'm advocating for (unless maybe Luke Hughes falls).
It's to early to tell, u18 starts today and I hope someone else will show he deserves in the top 10. Also world cup coming in couple weeks and I hope to see some draft available prospects there, just like Hughes and Seider were

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
As I start to dwindle down and zero in on things, I think in no order I lean this way.

Power, Beniers, Guenther, Eklund. Then Lysell, Clarke as guys that I am interested in this week especially just to get more viewings, and may jump up into the first group for me. And then behind those guys would be Hughes, Edvinsson, Johnson.

Reactions: lilidk

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
It's to early to tell, u18 starts today and I hope someone else will show he deserves in the top 10. Also world cup coming in couple weeks and I hope to see some draft available prospects there, just like Hughes and Seider were

That's fair. Personally I don't put much stock into international prospect tournaments. They're fun, but they don't really impact my rankings.

I've seen enough of the NCAA/NTDP/SHL guys at this point. It's really only the OHL guys I'd like to see more of, and even then I'm reluctant to rank someone super highly based on a good tournament.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I'm not too worried about our pick as long as we are in the top 7. I think most are all about the same rating for me. Here is my top 7 in no particular order:

Power
Hughes
Eklund
Guenther
Johnson
Beniers
Xavier Bourgault- my dark horse pick by Stevie (dynamic center, relentless, and scores goals)

Not a bad list. I think Borgault might be a good pick, but not in the top 10. We could probably snag him with Washington's first.

Mine right now in this particular order:
Power
Benier
Guenther
Clarke
Wallstedt
Eklund
Johnson
Hughes
Edvinsson
L'Heureaux

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
As I start to dwindle down and zero in on things, I think in no order I lean this way.

Power, Beniers, Guenther, Eklund. Then Lysell, Clarke as guys that I am interested in this week especially just to get more viewings, and may jump up into the first group for me. And then behind those guys would be Hughes, Edvinsson, Johnson.

Do you think Eklund is an NHL center? Why do you feel he should be above those 3?

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Do you think Eklund is an NHL center? Why do you feel he should be above those 3?

I think that he's a guy offers a real well rounded offensive game. I have been very outspoken in how little faith I have in the offense that this team has, including the pieces in the pipeline. Paired with the uncertainty around a player like Vrana at this stage (one blow up game isn't going to alter my stance too much here), we do need people who can put the puck in the net at some point.

I think Eklund has as good of a chance as any "center" in this top 10-15 range to stick at center. Beniers is the obvious center in the class, but if you asked me who seems more likely to stick at center, I would still take Eklund over Johnson. EDIT: this is an evasive way of saying not really. He has a chance, but doesn't feel like the likely outcome.

At the end of this week, I feel like I will have a better grasp on some guys than I do today, and the result might very well end up with Hughes and Johnson being the guys who come in at 5 and 6 depending on what happens with Clarke and Lysell.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
These are the only 9 names I am really interested in for our first pick. How would you all rank them? (@Rzombo4 prez ? @The Zetterberg Era ?)

I'd probably rank them like this for us:

Power
Hughes
Beniers
Johnson
Guenther
Edvinsson
Eklund
Clarke
Wallstedt

I would have to move Edvinsson up more. A 6'5, lefty D to pair with Seider for a decade would be sweet. A great skater, does a little bit of everything and has a bit of a physical edge. Have fun playing against them when they can basically cover the entire width of the ice with their wing span.

I would also have a really hard time picking Johnson over Guenther. I know the hope is Johnson becomes a center and hes super skilled but Guenther is just more well rounded with a similar high end skill set imo

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I think that he's a guy offers a real well rounded offensive game. I have been very outspoken in how little faith I have in the offense that this team has, including the pieces in the pipeline. Paired with the uncertainty around a player like Vrana at this stage (one blow up game isn't going to alter my stance too much here), we do need people who can put the puck in the net at some point.

I think Eklund has as good of a chance as any "center" in this top 10-15 range to stick at center. Beniers is the obvious center in the class, but if you asked me who seems more likely to stick at center, I would still take Eklund over Johnson. EDIT: this is an evasive way of saying not really. He has a chance, but doesn't feel like the likely outcome.

At the end of this week, I feel like I will have a better grasp on some guys than I do today, and the result might very well end up with Hughes and Johnson being the guys who come in at 5 and 6 depending on what happens with Clarke and Lysell.

My main concerns with Eklund is he is being placed as high as he is because of the SHL season he is having, and not necessarily his skills/traits. Similar to what we saw with Lias Andersson in his draft season.

I mean TSN had him at 5'9 3/4" on their draft list (not sure of the accuracy there) and he is an October birthdate. So he might grow another 1-2 inches, or he may not.

I don't think he has exceptional skating or an exceptional shot. I don't think he is as skilled as someone like Stutzle or Raymond were last year. And I don't think he is a center.

So what is he? What are we hoping he is? Marchand? Guentzel? Ehlers? I just don't really see what we are getting there that justifies a top 4-5 draft slot. I have not seen a lot of him, so I could be missing something. If Hakan signs off on it, and we are drafting 6-9, I could be OK with it. I suppose you are hoping for Zetterberg 2.0, but there have been a lot of other forwards that fit that profile that have failed, so it would give me some pause personally. Zetterberg was a bit of a unicorn, honestly.

Edvinsson, Johnson, and Hughes are all more appealing for me.

Reactions: CairneBloodhoof

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I would have to move Edvinsson up more. A 6'5, lefty D to pair with Seider for a decade would be sweet. A great skater, does a little bit of everything and has a bit of a physical edge. Have fun playing against them when they can basically cover the entire width of the ice with their wing span.

I would also have a really hard time picking Johnson over Guenther. I know the hope is Johnson becomes a center and hes super skilled but Guenther is just more well rounded with a similar high end skill set imo

Guenther vs Johnson is one I struggle with a lot.

Reactions: newfy

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Guenther vs Johnson is one I struggle with a lot.

I dont think it matters much because I dont think Detroits gonna get a crack at Guenther but Johnson might still be there where theyll end up picking. But ya, the risk vs reward is just too much in Guenthers favour. I'm gonna be happy enough if Detroit comes away from this draft with a guy as skilled as Johnson though,who ha a chance to be a center if he gets stronger

Barry Amsterdam

Nättias Dänielstrom
Apr 2, 2013
if i had to rank them i’d say

Group A
Power- 6’5 LHD enough said
Hughes- LHD and the brothers are a factor for his upside
Johnson- Maybe highest offensive upside and chance of being a C
Eklund- Chance at being a C. Just so smooth and effective

Group B
Guenther- Offense is crazy good. But strictly a Winger
Beniers - only for sure C in the draft. probably the safest player in the draft. Don’t see the offensive upside. See him as more of a Surefire 2C but can’t see anything higher.

Group C
Wallstedt - goalie is tough to swallow even if he’s elite
Edvinsson - don’t see the offensive upside.
Clarke - A RHD he might end up the best D but we are set on the right side

simonedvinsson

May 26, 2020
Detroit's pick:

1. Hughes, Luke RSD
2. Power, Owen LHD
3. Eklund, William C/LW
4. Beniers, Matthew C
5. Edvinsson, Simon LHD
6. Guenther, Dylan LW/RW
7. Lysell, Fabian LW/RW
8. Cossa, Sebastian G
9. Heimosalmi, Aleksi RHD
10. Clarke, Brandt RHD

11. Johnson, Kent RW
12. Wallstedt, Jesper G

Washinton's pick:

13. Olausson, Oskar RW
14. Lambos, Carson LHD
15. Sillinger, Cole C
16. Svechkov, Fyodor C
17. Svozil, Stanislav RSD
18. Chayka, Daniil LHD
19. McTavish, Mason C
20. Raty, Aatu C
21. Robertsson, Simon LW/RW
22. Lucius, Chaz C
23. Ceulemans, Corson RHD

24. Gabrielsson, Hugo LHD
25. Salminen, Samu C

26. Poltapov, Prokhor LW
27. Grushnikov, Artyom LHD

Obviously, it depends on where we draft and who falls, but I'd be happy with any of that top group with our first pick or any of that second group with Washington's pick.

*Edit: added indents and gradient.

Last edited:

Barry Amsterdam

Nättias Dänielstrom
Apr 2, 2013
Detroit's pick:

1. Hughes, Luke RSD
2. Power, Owen LHD
3. Eklund, William C/LW
4. Beniers, Matthew C
5. Edvinsson, Simon LHD
6. Guenther, Dylan LW/RW
7. Lysell, Fabian LW/RW
8. Cossa, Sebastian G
9. Heimosalmi, Aleksi RHD
10. Clarke, Brandt RHD
11. Johnson, Kent RW
12. Wallstedt, Jesper G

Washinton's pick:

13. Olausson, Oskar RW
14. Lambos, Carson LHD
15. Sillinger, Cole C
16. Svechkov, Fyodor C
17. Svozil, Stanislav RSD
18. Chayka, Daniil LHD
19. McTavish, Mason C
20. Raty, Aatu C
21. Robertsson, Simon LW/RW
22. Lucius, Chaz C
23. Ceulemans, Corson RHD
24. Gabrielsson, Hugo LHD
25. Salminen, Samu C
26. Poltapov, Prokhor LW
27. Grushnikov, Artyom LHD

Obviously, it depends on where we draft and who falls, but I'd be happy with any of that top group with our first pick or any of that second group with Washington's pick.
pretty sure hughes is a Lefty

Reactions: alexislafreniere

Hoog

Feb 4, 2021
Not a bad list. I think Borgault might be a good pick, but not in the top 10. We could probably snag him with Washington's first.

Power
Benier
Guenther
Clarke
Wallstedt
Eklund
Johnson
Hughes
Edvinsson
L'Heureaux

Your L'Heureaux (who I am also very fond of) is like my Bourgault. I actually was thinking if we could get Bourgault at our pick and L'Heureaux with Washington's pick, we would really add some offense and attitude to this team. We could go D on two of our second rounders (Vladislav Lukashevich/Evan Nause), forward with our other second (William Stromgren) and one of the Russian goalies in the third, and finish the third with another forward (Niko Huutanen).

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I don't think he is as skilled as someone like Stutzle or Raymond were last year. And I don't think he is a center.

My argument here would be that I consider Raymond and Stutzle both to be well ahead of the pack if they were to have been in this draft. Similar to you, I don't consider Eklund to be on the same level of those guys, but I don't consider any of this class to be on their level as prospects.

Now how everything shakes out with that in mind is a different discussion.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I suppose you are hoping for Zetterberg 2.0, but there have been a lot of other forwards that fit that profile that have failed, so it would give me some pause personally. Zetterberg was a bit of a unicorn, honestly.

I would like to have included this on the last post, but I just feel that similar to Zetterberg, you can't really point to it on screen and say "see that right there is what makes him special." He doesn't skate past people, he doesn't dangle his way through traffic, he doesn't post up and rip shot past goalies. It all happens between the ears, and given my propensity to like smart players like Raymond and Perfetti last year, Eklund just finds himself in the same mold for me.

So I get the Zetterberg thing for sure, but in terms of a example of a current player that I could see him having a similar impact to as a "undersized" converted winger would be someone like Travis Konecny. We could argue if that is enough upside to swing for, but to be honest with you, a player like that in the top 10 of this class (top 5 where I have him ranked) is probably about right.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I would like to have included this on the last post, but I just feel that similar to Zetterberg, you can't really point to it on screen and say "see that right there is what makes him special." He doesn't skate past people, he doesn't dangle his way through traffic, he doesn't post up and rip shot past goalies. It all happens between the ears, and given my propensity to like smart players like Raymond and Perfetti last year, Eklund just finds himself in the same mold for me.

So I get the Zetterberg thing for sure, but in terms of a example of a current player that I could see him having a similar impact to as a "undersized" converted winger would be someone like Travis Konecny. We could argue if that is enough upside to swing for, but to be honest with you, a player like that in the top 10 of this class (top 5 where I have him ranked) is probably about right.

Yeah, for me I have the 2 Michigan forwards over him. Then also Guenther. But I can kinda see that.

I have time for 5'10" guys when they skate like Hughes, or have puck skills like Raymond, but in this case I just can't get myself quite as excited about Eklund.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
These are the only 9 names I am really interested in for our first pick. How would you all rank them? (@Rzombo4 prez ? @The Zetterberg Era ?)

Power
Hughes
Beniers

Guenther
Johnson
Clarke
Edvinsson
Eklund

I don't rank goalies

I honestly think that all 8 are pretty close. I do stylistically prefer some more than others though. I also am the first to admit that I want to reserve judgment on Edvinsson until after the U18s. I don't have a convincing read on him at the moment.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Yeah, for me I have the 2 Michigan forwards over him. Then also Guenther. But I can kinda see that.

I have time for 5'10" guys when they skate like Hughes, or have puck skills like Raymond, but in this case I just can't get myself quite as excited about Eklund.

You won't get an argument from me against Guenther or Beniers over him. I just think that the trade off in perceived upside for Eklund is less of an issue than the perceived risk in taking Johnson.

I think that neither of them are particularly impressive skaters, so to me it comes down to how their IQ comes across. Eklund seems like his IQ comes through in more of a pro style mindset, puts himself in good spots, more completeness to his game. On the other side, Johnson's IQ feels like it comes through more as what he is able to create, which can become a little more unhinged at times, but when it works it can be spectacular.

I guess if I had to break it down to completely irrelevant descriptive terms for the way I take in their play: Eklund is more engineer-like, and Johnson is artist-like.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Mctavish rating all over the place from 7 to 32. He has something we are missing since Mantha trade, scoring power forward. He improve his skating, I guess we see it in the tournament

Realgud

Jersey ads are a disgrace
Nov 4, 2013
realguddraftsimulator.com
I'll wait until we know the pick numbers before saying my choices, but for now I'd be amazed with Johnson and McTavish in the first round. I'm not "super" high on McTavish right now but I think his potential as a big goalscoring center is a risk I'd take for sure.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada

Power
Benier
Guenther
Clarke
Wallstedt
Eklund
Johnson
Hughes
Edvinsson
L'Heureaux

He's rising pretty quickly right now. In all likelihood, Bourgault is gone by Washington's pick. I guess it really does depend on what the Caps do. Maybe if they lose in round 1 we could get him, but I don't see Bourgault falling much lower than the late teens.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad