Prospect Info: 2021 NHL Draft Prospects

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
No I dont think so.

It's not a better than/worse than comparison whatsoever.

It's a pattern, trust, philosophy thing.

It's just my hunch. I think they know we're still a ways away from competing, we're not drafting 1st OA obvious Connor Bedard, so stick with what we know and what's been working. That is a trend towards Sweden( that's a good thing) and a longer development curve that fits our timeline.
If Eklund not available I Will be very happy with McTavish. Anyway I believe this draft going to be mostly from Draper. I expect we going to get 2 or 3 from that Canadian team

BStinson

Nov 11, 2013
I dont necessarily understand when people dont like prospects cause they remind them of other young guys who havent had a chance to do anything in the league. You see it a lot with Rasmussen as well. Mittelstadt just had a season on pace for 20 goals and 42 points on a horrible team with Lazar as his primary linemate all season. Theres plenty of time for him to turn into a player and if Johnson reminds you of him its not necessarily a negative thing
Can’t say I watched many Sabres games last year but a coworker had high praise for Mittelstadt for the second half of the season when he played center. I’m sure someone that’s a stat guy can provide some of those metrics.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I dont necessarily understand when people dont like prospects cause they remind them of other young guys who havent had a chance to do anything in the league. You see it a lot with Rasmussen as well. Mittelstadt just had a season on pace for 20 goals and 42 points on a horrible team with Lazar as his primary linemate all season. Theres plenty of time for him to turn into a player and if Johnson reminds you of him its not necessarily a negative thing

I was really high on Mittelstadt, I just think it points to how crucial development can be. Not that he is a finished project, just that he was not as close to being a NHL contributor as I thought. Like I am perfectly fine taking Johnson, I have him at 6 on my board. So really if they draft played out the way I had it, he is exactly who I would take. I just think you're looking at sending him back to U of M for sure and I am not sure how quickly you get him up to Detroit.

On any of these guys you have a while to watch the arc. It also matters what kind of talent you put around them. Look at Ek in Minnesota now being someone they want locked in long term. For some of these guys it does take a chunk of time. I am curious to see how we develop guys, I think thus far it has been good under Yzerman, we are about to see the big returns on it as we integrate more youth. What kind of players we draft and how we develop them is going to be very telling in how quickly we can return to relevance.

Reactions: jkutswings

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
That is literally the highest praise for Johnson that I have read/watched from any outlet online up to this point. I just don't understand how the praise can be that effusive when you can find video after video of him overhandling the puck and getting himself into trouble, time after time. And yes, he had a good ppg, but 15 of his 18 assists were secondary. He wasn't driving the play, at least in a lot of the viewings that I had. Beniers was the driver on his line.

Here's some of what elite prospects pointed out "There’s also the matter of Johnson’s propensity to overhandle the puck. Trying to make something happen is one thing. You want star players to have that game-breaking ability, and you don’t want them to be shy about using it. Johnson’s problem is that it sometimes seems as if he thinks that he’s going to break the game open on every puck touch, often missing passing options in far better spots in the process or just running out of space and turning the puck over. He also just does not have the puck protection mechanics in place to cover for this inefficiency in his game. It’s easier for Johnson to run out of space than it is most forwards, too. So much of his game occurs on the peripheries of the offensive zone. That hasn’t kept him from producing gaudy numbers at the NCAA level, even as an 18-year-old freshman, but it’s an area of concern for his long-term projection."

Now, they also had some high praise for his skill level and creativity, but nowhere near saying that he could be the top point producer of the draft, or a Kane level of player. Interesting....guess that just means that I can talk myself into him if he's the pick at 6.

I don't think he's as good as Kane.
But he's easily got the most "magic" in his game - that ability to do things that other players don't try.
You can sand some of the bad decision-making out of his game.
You can't coach other players into being magic.

Reactions: ArmChairGM89

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Update to our Finnish mock:

#6 Jesper Wallstedt (6'3 G)
#23 Logan Stankoven (5'9 C, right)
#38 Samu Tuomaala (5'11 RW, right)
#48 Wyatt Johnston (6'1 C, right)

Reactions: Ulysses31

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
i like this draft way better than the past two . theres all kinds of guys projected outside the top 10 that could be huge sleepers because of the season that didnt happen . guys that could have up'ped their stock into top 10 like chaz-lambo-svetch-pinelli . the 22nd yzerman aquired is a possible huge add in this sleeper draft . im still saying the warp speed hands n release ive seen on chaz is elite . plus hes a center . love pinellis all around game , and lambo just the partner for seider . then svetch the all around center . and all have legit size . thinking ide like trading all 3 of our 2nds for a pick in the mid / late teens to pick off one of these sleepers .

Last edited:

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
i like this draft way better than the past two . theres all kinds of guys projected outside the top 10 that could be huge sleepers because of the season that didnt happen . guys that could have up'ped their stock into top 10 like chaz-lambo-svetch-pinelli . the 22nd yzerman aquired is a possible huge add in this sleeper draft . im still saying the warp speed hands n release ive seen on chaz is eeeeeeeeeelite , like a jagr shot . hes got the size to anchor himself and launch rockets with super lightning hands . plus hes a center . love pinellis all around game , and lambo just the partner for seider . then svetch the all around center . and all have legit size . thinking ide like trading all 3 of our 2nds for a pick in the mid / late teens to pick off one of these sleepers .
It's just wishful thinking, it's all about luck, and good luck

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
i like this draft way better than the past two . theres all kinds of guys projected outside the top 10 that could be huge sleepers because of the season that didnt happen . guys that could have up'ped their stock into top 10 like chaz-lambo-svetch-pinelli . the 22nd yzerman aquired is a possible huge add in this sleeper draft . im still saying the warp speed hands n release ive seen on chaz is elite . plus hes a center . love pinellis all around game , and lambo just the partner for seider . then svetch the all around center . and all have legit size . thinking ide like trading all 3 of our 2nds for a pick in the mid / late teens to pick off one of these sleepers .

Pinelli will be a center at the next level. Chas Lucius will not.

At the next level Lucius is going to be a winger. His skating is junior average and his defense is non-existent. Seriously, I doubt the guy knows his goalie's name with how little he plays defense. Great hands, but he's one guy I completely stay away from in this draft. If you want a guy who is going to be a goalscoring winger go for Cole Sillinger or Oskar Olausson. As much upside or more offensively while also not having to coach the importance of defense into their games. Plus much better skating already.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad