Status
Not open for further replies.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I’ll just tune in on Friday to see Hockie Duckie entering the thread like

View attachment 454273
Ive honestly kinda been alright with the mctavish idea (depending on how the first 2 picks fall).... but mctavish is a good change of pace center to go behind Zegras.

Zegras is kinda the confident playmaker
Mctavish is the Physical goal scorer

I personally dont have mctavish in my top 5... but i can def see the argument

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
I’ll just tune in on Friday to see Hockie Duckie entering the thread like

View attachment 454273
Or this...

CMMMMM.jpg

Reactions: 405Entrance

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Anyone else think that RHD Scott Morrow might be our 2nd round pick? He's heading to Univ of North Dakota this coming season.
Seems like someone that would be on our radar possibly... still hoping for tuomaala/othmann as potential goalscorer/top 6 type.

Or a guy like Salminen... who i think has a ton of potential to be a pretty good pick in the draft. Big frame, good skills, seems to have some leadership abilities. Hell be a bit of a project... but could potentially payoff long term.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Seems like someone that would be on our radar possibly... still hoping for tuomaala/othmann as potential goalscorer/top 6 type.

Or a guy like Salminen... who i think has a ton of potential to be a pretty good pick in the draft. Big frame, good skills, seems to have some leadership abilities. Hell be a bit of a project... but could potentially payoff long term.

In my way early look into the 2nd round, I was looking at forwards Tuomaala, Rosen, and Olausson. Othmann didn't really pop onto my radar until of late when there were more and more scouting reports on him. Olausson and Othmann's stock rose while Tuomaala and Rosen's fell. Othmann needs to work on his skating, but his game is an old school game like McTavish with being physical. Because Othmann struggled to adapt to the NL-B (Switzerland's men's second tier league), he might be a longer project to the NHL like Brayden Tracey. His WJC-18 raised his stock up much higher as his play against his peers showed off the talent many thought they saw in 2019-20. On the plus side, he has very good chemistry with 2022 Shane Wright. This bodes well as Othmann can be a physical passenger winger with sniping capabilities for a creative center.

Reactions: Getz2noone

sasha barkov

Nov 4, 2016
Whoever Bob suggests would be a good pick when the team is on the clock usually is the pick. If we are on the clock and he says guenther we most likely are going w him. Will be interesting if Eklund is still on the board and who he says before too

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Yet another Guenther pick this way. Is this some kind of open secret or do people go into these things thinking we need someone to play with Zegras and take the most obvious fit?

The latter. But the fact is that the Ducks used two high picks last year to take Perreault and Colangelo - both RW's so I don't see them being redundant this year with another RW. And getting a physical top 6 center is always going to be preferable to a top 6 winger. I really think getting a ROR type player is just going to be too tempting for the Ducks to pass on. They are much rarer than scoring wingers.

Reactions: Dirk316 and Kalv

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
The latter. But the fact is that the Ducks used two high picks last year to take Perreault and Colangelo - both RW's so I don't see them being redundant this year with another RW. And getting a physical top 6 center is always going to be preferable to a top 6 winger. I really think getting a ROR type player is just going to be too tempting for the Ducks to pass on. They are much rarer than scoring wingers.

On a stage where there's a collection of top-end talent (WJC-18), Guenther didn't stand out despite playing on the a top line with Othmann and 2022 Wright. McTavish played 2C (and 1C for a game or two b/c Wright wasn't available).

2019-20
.LeagueGamesGAPts.PPGPPAPP Pts.ES GES AES Pts
GuentherWHL58263359 8917 182442
McTavishOHL57291342 549 24933
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

McTavish scored more goals than Guenther and scored more ES goals as well in their D-1 season.​

.LeagueSeasonGamesGAPts
GuentherWHLRegular12121224
McTavishNL-BRegular139211
NL-BPlayoffs4257
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

So many scouts are enamored with Guenther's WHL production and it's amazing... in a vacuum. Lost in this is that McTavish played in a men's league. In a podcast, McTavish said playing in the NL-B first and then the WJC-18 made playing in the WJC-18 easier because there weren't that many fast players or bigger players.​

LeagueTeamGamesGA Pts
GuentherWJC-18Canada7437
McTavishWJC-18Canada75611
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

How is it that a 2C outscored a 1RW on the same team? They're playing in the same league on the same team, but one of these prospects was far more productive. One of Guenther's goals came off of a McTavish takeaway in the neutral zone, raced down the wing attracting two defenders as well as the goalie, and delivered a cross-ice pass to Guenther for a half-open net.​

Most of the MSM is focused on Guenther's 2021 WHL performance, but not realizing he was on a stacked team. Guenther's team played three teams with only one of them having a winning record. But if a person checks out Guenther's AJHL and WJC-18 performance, then one would wonder why didn't he excel at those other leagues?
At the WJC-18, McTavish had to fill in as 1C and didn't disappoint. This little tidbit is huge because it shows McTavish can fill in a 1C role if needed and can carry the team too. We do have a sniper in RW Perrault and a scorer in LW Tracey to add to LW Comtois, but we don't have another top-end center talent in our system today outside of Zegras. What's odd is the usual TSN guys often say that centers get their stock risen higher over wingers, but they select Guenther over McTavish. If there's a forward to select over McTavish, then it should be Beniers or Eklund, but not Guenther, who didn't shine at the WJC-18.

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
Talk about b*tching, relax bro. It's the off season and the draft is in 3 days.... we should definitely stop talking about it on a discussion board. If you can't wait until we the draft is over so we stop talking about the draft maybe don't enter the "2021 NHL Draft Part 2" thread. People complaining about discussion of the NHL draft that's in 3 days in the NHL draft thread......on a discussion board.... :laugh::laugh::laugh: I've seen it all.

I am not bitching, just tired of the conversation going in circles. Some people like one player and other people like another player, and then they just yell at each other that their guy is the way to go. Not very fruitful in my opinion. And I didn't say we can't talk so don't put words in my mouth. People just take it this too seriously. Hopefully after the draft we can get behind the guy they picked and be happy.

Reactions: UnfinishedBusiness

OCSportsfan

Sep 30, 2011
I was excited about getting Rossi last year and was disappointed when we took Drysdale. That obviously turned out okay, so now I have become enamored with McTavish, so we we will be going with Eklund probably. And I will be disappointed until next year when Eklund lights it up.

#faithinmadden

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
I am not bitching, just tired of the conversation going in circles. Some people like one player and other people like another player, and then they just yell at each other that their guy is the way to go. Not very fruitful in my opinion. And I didn't say we can't talk so don't put words in my mouth. People just take it this too seriously. Hopefully after the draft we can get behind the guy they picked and be happy.
Fair enough.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Is it BM that will get final decision on the pick or since he's in the final year, will Madden have more than just a strong recommendation on who to pick?

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
By that article seems the top 3 picks stand by themselves.

GunnarStahl

Let’s go shake their hands
Oct 13, 2020
Wonder what the betting odds are for Beniers not being taken at 2 is. Bobs list had 4/10 scouts take him at 2 so statistically that means there is a 60% chance he is there at 3 but it doesn’t feel that likely

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad