Prospect Info: 2021 NHL Draft Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
“We just did a presentation for ownership,” Murray said, referring to Henry and Susan Samueli. “If you look at any of the top teams this season, and back when we were good, the core of their players, 80 percent of them, come from the draft, if not more. This is a big draft for us. Whoever we get (in the first round) has to be capable of playing in our core, in our top-six forwards.”

Murray expanded from top line to top-six forwards. Everyone is thinking LW Eklund will be a top line forward. The media darling being mocked to the Ducks at #3 in RW Guenther, is also projected to be a top line forward. We already have 1C Zegras. If the team selects C McTavish, then he'd be playing 2C, which is a top-six forward.

McTavish has shown he can also play 1C at the WJC-18 and not miss a step. That's gotta be huge when thinking long term. He is the most complete center and his ceiling just keeps raising.

Eklund's play dropped when he lost his center Josefson in mid-November. Josefson returned for four games in December, but Holtz wasn't available in December. Eklund got hot in the last three games with a point in each game, but he was center by a recent trade for a big center in Stoa.

Eklund
2020-21Gamesgaptsppg
Total401112230.575
Before Dec1885130.722
Dec60220.333
After Dec163580.5
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
An Eklund-Josefson-Holtz line was en feugo to start the season together! It took a while for Djurgardens to find the right chemistry for Eklund when Josefson wasn't available.

McTavish had an opposite path such that he started slow in the Swiss League with 1 point in the first six games and then went beyond del scorcho to where there wasn't enough TP for the great Cornhulio's bunghole. In the final seven games, he scored 9g and 1a. In the playoffs he helped Olten win their sweep in the first round, he generated 2 goals and 5 assists in four games.

LeagueTeamSeasonGames GA PtsPPG
McTavishNL-BOltenRegular1392110.85
McTavish 1 thru 60110.17
McTavish 7 thru 1391101.43
McTavishNL-BOltenPost42571.75
McTavishWJC-18Canada 756111.57
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
McTavish' game got stronger the more games he played. It helps that he has an NHL body already at 6'1 and 207 pounds, which is 3 inches taller and 35 pounds heavier than Eklund.

I've said before that McTavish and Eklund were equal to me in talent. I like them both. It's just a preference of top goal scorer + physicality vs top playmaker as well as center vs wing. No one believed it possible back when I introduced this, but now McKenzie says they're both equal to him. I just have a preference for a physical, goal scoring center whose upside remains unknown to due to his big jump in improvement this season.

Guenther, on the other hand, just doesn't pop like an elite player should at the AJHL and WJC-18. In the lower league of the AJHL, he scored 3g + 2a in four games. At the WJC-18, he scored 4g + 3a in seven games while playing on the top line for team Canada with Othmann and 2022 Wright. That's all Guenther managed for a projected top-3 pick? That's very good production, but below top-end talent production on a stage with other talented players and teams. Wright had 9g + 5a in only five games. Othmann had 3g + 3a in seven games.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Last year most places had Drysdale as the Ducks pick and this year its Guenther linked to the Ducks, then there was someone in this forum that mentioned seeing Madden himself at a game watching Guenther and that he seemed really impressed by him.

Then Bobs comment about Top6 has eliminated chance they go Edvinsson/Clarke/Hughes.
That narrows it down to Eklund, Guenther, Beniers, McTavish, Johnson.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Murray expanded from top line to top-six forwards. Everyone is thinking LW Eklund will be a top line forward. The media darling being mocked to the Ducks at #3 in RW Guenther, is also projected to be a top line forward. We already have 1C Zegras. If the team selects C McTavish, then he'd be playing 2C, which is a top-six forward.

McTavish has shown he can also play 1C at the WJC-18 and not miss a step. That's gotta be huge when thinking long term. He is the most complete center and his ceiling just keeps raising.

Eklund's play dropped when he lost his center Josefson in mid-November. Josefson returned for four games in December, but Holtz wasn't available in December. Eklund got hot in the last three games with a point in each game, but he was center by a recent trade for a big center in Stoa.

Eklund
2020-21Gamesgaptsppg
Total401112230.575
Before Dec1885130.722
Dec60220.333
After Dec163580.5
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
An Eklund-Josefson-Holtz line was en feugo to start the season together! It took a while for Djurgardens to find the right chemistry for Eklund when Josefson wasn't available.

McTavish had an opposite path such that he started slow in the Swiss League with 1 point in the first six games and then went beyond del scorcho to where there wasn't enough TP for the great Cornhulio's bunghole. In the final seven games, he scored 9g and 1a. In the playoffs he helped Olten win their sweep in the first round, he generated 2 goals and 5 assists in four games.

LeagueTeamSeasonGames GA PtsPPG
McTavishNL-BOltenRegular1392110.85
McTavish1 thru 60110.17
McTavish7 thru 1391101.43
McTavishNL-BOltenPost42571.75
McTavishWJC-18Canada756111.57
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
McTavish' game got stronger the more games he played. It helps that he has an NHL body already at 6'1 and 207 pounds, which is 3 inches taller and 35 pounds heavier than Eklund.

I've said before that McTavish and Eklund were equal to me in talent. I like them both. It's just a preference of top goal scorer + physicality vs top playmaker as well as center vs wing. No one believed it possible back when I introduced this, but now McKenzie says they're both equal to him. I just have a preference for a physical, goal scoring center whose upside remains unknown to due to his big jump in improvement this season.

Guenther, on the other hand, just doesn't pop like an elite player should at the AJHL and WJC-18. In the lower league of the AJHL, he scored 3g + 2a in four games. At the WJC-18, he scored 4g + 3a in seven games while playing on the top line for team Canada with Othmann and 2022 Wright. That's all Guenther managed for a projected top-3 pick? That's very good production, but below top-end talent production on a stage with other talented players and teams. Wright had 9g + 5a in only five games. Othmann had 3g + 3a in seven games.

I prefer McTavish over Guenther for sure now but still prefer Eklund over both.

I guess I see Guenther as a guy who could have ran away with insanely good numbers at WHL over a full season or a guy who just got off to a hot start there and would cool off which makes him risky to me.

McTavish is safer bet to be a goal scorer with 37 goals and 23 assists.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Does anyone else get a bit of a Joffrey Lupul vibe from Guenther?

Obviously quite talented offensively, but will he be an elite producer or just a notable offensive player? Is there any depth to his game beyond offense? Will he rise to the occasion when the going gets tough?

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017

Obviously quite talented offensively, but will he be an elite producer or just a notable offensive player? Is there any depth to his game beyond offense? Will he rise to the occasion when the going gets tough?

I'd take a healthy Lupul in a heartbeat but I'd still go with Eklund.

Last edited:

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia

Guenther is regarded as a good two-way player, but I don't know myself.
To me I do not see the hype why we would need to pick him at #3. He looks like a great pick at #8-#10 tho.

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
Well sure, we could use the offensive help and he was a pretty good player at his best. But with a #3 pick you're hoping for more

Sure but I'd be pretty pleased if this pick turns out to be a 35g scorer. Lupul, when healthy was that kind of player.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
The weird thing is that pretty sure that the 3rd big piece in our rebuild will most likely play the ''3rd role'' (be a bit lower), compared to Zegras and Drysdale who were picked lower (#6 and #9).

But that's fine, can't wait for tonight to see what we get.

gilfaizon

Mar 28, 2012
PEI
I think I prefer a swing like McTavish over Guenther. Although I guess McTavish isn't quite the swing he was even a couple of months ago. However, you have to wonder if we prioritize our organizational strength at D and go Edvidsson. I'm really nervous, I have no idea.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I really hope it’s

eklund or berniers

if not them
Power or Hughes

mctavish or guenther I’d be okay with but not nearly as happy

Reactions: Boo Boo

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
The thing that concerns me about Guenther is that I think the WHL is kind of a shitty league and our last couple prospects out of it haven't exactly panned out.
Steel and Mahura destroyed the WHL and struggle in the NHL.

Reactions: Kalv

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Theodore turned out pretty good, as did Barzal. Guenther will be a very good player, and I don’t get the floater vibe from him.

Reactions: Kalv

Rasp

Apr 9, 2019
Guenther is the best player to complement Zegras, Power/Edvinsson are the best for Drysdale

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Button: He’s another really good offensive player. I’ll tell you who he reminds me of. He reminds me of Sebastian Aho. He’s quick and he’s fast. He’s quick and fast in recognizing where the opportunities are. He sees them and now he’s ready to get there. A lot of players, by the time they recognize them, it’s too late. That’s not the case with William. He’s got a quick processor with respect to opportunity. And then when he gets them, he’s dialed in.
I use this comparison for William Eklund. Lionel Messi has got a striker’s mentality. That’s why he’s arguably the greatest goal scorer that’s ever played soccer. But that striker mentality says, ‘That’s where I’ve got to be, and I’ve got to be there at the right time.’ (Messi’s) not the biggest guy. He’s not the most blazing guy. He doesn’t jump the highest. But he’s got the striker mentality. He’s obviously been a brilliant striker. William Eklund has a striker’s mentality.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
I loved Zetterberg, so that comparison always excited me, and I love Sebastian Aho, so I’m hoping he’s available, the Ducks agree and we end up with Eklund. But since my personal „scouting“ was minimal this season, I’m not going to go all-in on my rather superficial preferences. Still, looking forward to seeing what kind of core piece we’ll add in 9ish hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad