Draft 2021 NHL Draft and Undrafted Free Agent Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Imagine underestimating Gorton's lottery prowess.

If the Rangers landed in the top 3 again, as a result of the lottery, it would probably mean the end of the system as we know it. The call for change will become a roar.

It would be both amusing and scary to watch.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
If the Rangers landed in the top 3 again, as a result of the lottery, it would probably mean the end of the system as we know it. The call for change will become a roar.

1) they didn't change it when pittsburgh and edmonton got top picks year after year
2) they can do whatever they want after we've gotten all our top players :)

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
1) they didn't change it when pittsburgh and edmonton got top picks year after year
Pittsburgh only had lottery luck one year I think. But yeah, I would be on board with some sort of system that reduces the odds of recent winners, but going back to heavily-weighting the bottom would be a no from me.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA

Sounds good to me

the Rangers aren’t going to be rebuilding anytime soon so sign me up lol

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

No disagreement on either point. :laugh:

That's the double-edged sword of being the Rangers. On the one hand, there is widespread benefit to having the team in a position of strength. On the other hand, being in a position of strength usually draws significant pushback.

Reactions: bobbop

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Also a note from a while back, which was prior to McKenzie's article, the Rangers were higher on Beniers than Johnson.

I have a feeling that Beniers is going to be pretty high on the Rangers list all season. I don't think they'll be in a position to nab him, but he strikes me as someone their people will continue to really like.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Didn't they change it because Edmonton got McDavid?
The McDavid lottery was the last time the NHL did one lotto draw, for 1OA. Post-McDavid, the league moved to the Top 3 lottery draw we have today.

But even the McDavid lotto had decreased odds from what was there previously.

brians1128

Nov 1, 2016
It will be interesting to see if there's a scenario like last year where the fanbase is really pulling for a center, but the best prospect on the board (or the one rated highest by the Rangers) is seen as playing a position with depth. So you could very well have a situation where the Rangers end up taking a LD or a wing.

Hell, I know the Rangers are really high on Clarke. He's a RD and some fans would be hitting the roof if the Rangers took him.

But I think if people are wanting to draft a center, this is probably another draft where you need to get into the top 10 or top 12, or be okay with a guy later who has some serious question marks.

At this point unless they hit the lottery and even then its questionable, I hope they don't draft a center. Lets say they sit at 15, following tsn's list. Looking at players from 11-20, it really wouldn't be smart to pick a center bc you need a center. Chayka and Lambos stand out to me in that range. Lysell reminds me a bit of Lucas Raymond which isn't a bad thing. Wallstedt is a great goalie prospect. L'Heureux fits exactly the Rangers mold.

They have a flood of prospects and will probably add one more at this upcoming draft, they can easily 1, flip a prospect that isn't a center for a center prospect given it comes up. 2, Package fringe long term players such as DeAngelo, Buchnevich etc (hopefully with growth to their seasons) in deals, or 3, the unsexy on is signing a guy like Danault as a 2c.

The Rangers have so many question marks still before we even worry about this. The talent is here, can we push for a playoff spot sure, but this isn't a cup team just yet. Does Kakko and Gauthier establish themselves on the right side so that they can deal a Buch and ease Kravstov in, maybe sign a cheap vet RW next offseason as insurance. Does Chytil make strides at center with better line mates that would ease the pressure off this whole 2c question ( I would even argue how does the development of Henriksson, Tarnstrom, and Vierling play into this, I would say they have the potential to be 3c's). How does our left defense develop in Hartford etc.. ( Miller, Robertson, Jones, etc... Do they add a Lambos or Chayka etc..) Do they trade for a partner for Jacob Trouba? That would be on less spot for the prospects as well.

All in all, I don't think the Rangers plan should be to draft a Center, they should draft the best player on their list. They have more then enough pieces that if they "could" trade for a Trouba partner and a 2c they can right now. The focus should be on rounding out and polishing the team. The opportunities are endless, and the needs and probabilities of the team shift from state to state with every trade they make, other teams make, and signings.

Last edited:
Reactions: JCProdigy

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
What do we think about Luke Hughes? He seems to be a somewhat realistic target if we miss playoffs this season. LD as well.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
At this point unless they hit the lottery and even then its questionable, I hope they don't draft a center. Lets say they sit at 15, following tsn's list. Looking at players from 11-20, it really wouldn't be smart to pick a center bc you need a center. Chayka and Lambos stand out to me in that range. Lysell reminds me a bit of Lucas Raymond which isn't a bad thing. Wallstedt is a great goalie prospect. L'Heureux fits exactly the Rangers mold.

They have a flood of prospects and will probably add one more at this upcoming draft, they can easily 1, flip a prospect that isn't a center for a center prospect given it comes up. 2, Package fringe long term players such as DeAngelo, Buchnevich etc (hopefully with growth to their seasons) in deals, or 3, the unsexy on is signing a guy like Danault as a 2c.

The Rangers have so many question marks still before we even worry about this. The talent is here, can we push for a playoff spot sure, but this isn't a cup team just yet. Does Kakko and Gauthier establish themselves on the right side so that they can deal a Buch and ease Kravstov in, maybe sign a cheap vet RW next offseason as insurance. Does Chytil make strides at center with better line mates that would ease the pressure off this whole 2c question ( I would even argue how does the development of Henriksson, Tarnstrom, and Vierling play into this, I would say they have the potential to be 3c's). How does our left defense develop in Hartford etc.. ( Miller, Robertson, Jones, etc... Do they add a Lambos or Chayka etc..) Do they trade for a partner for Jacob Trouba? That would be on less spot for the prospects as well.

All in all, I don't think the Rangers plan should be to draft a Center, they should draft the best player on their list. They have more then enough pieces that if they "could" trade for a Trouba partner and a 2c they can right now. The focus should be on rounding out and polishing the team. The opportunities are endless, and the needs and probabilities of the team shift from state to state with every trade they make, other teams make, and signings.

My expectation is that the Gorton and company will continue to focus on coming away with the best asset on the board - even if it necessitates a trade down the line. So if it’s a wing or a defenseman is seen as being that asset, they probably won’t hesitate.

Whether fans or observers agree is another matter.

My way too early prediction based on nothing is that they come away with a wing.

Reactions: brians1128

brians1128

Nov 1, 2016
My expectation is that the Gorton and company will continue to focus on coming away with the best asset on the board - even if it necessitates a trade down the line. So if it’s a wing or a defenseman is seen as being that asset, they probably won’t hesitate.

Whether fans or observers agree is another matter.

My way too early prediction based on nothing is that they come away with a wing.

I think this will be the best move. The question will be if its d or a winger but looking at the draft I think thats where the value is

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
It will be interesting to see if there's a scenario like last year where the fanbase is really pulling for a center, but the best prospect on the board (or the one rated highest by the Rangers) is seen as playing a position with depth. So you could very well have a situation where the Rangers end up taking a LD or a wing.

Hell, I know the Rangers are really high on Clarke. He's a RD and some fans would be hitting the roof if the Rangers took him.

But I think if people are wanting to draft a center, this is probably another draft where you need to get into the top 10 or top 12, or be okay with a guy later who has some serious question marks.
The Rangers and Kings REALLY need to line up for a prospect for prospect trade in the vein of the Keane/Gauthier deal last year...

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
The Rangers and Kings REALLY need to line up for a prospect for prospect trade in the vein of the Keane/Gauthier deal last year...

Definitely think a scenario like that plays into acquiring assets based upon perceived value, as oppossed to need.

I think this will be the best move. The question will be if its d or a winger but looking at the draft I think thats where the value is

It could be an interesting draft that resembles those from 25-30 years ago. More guessing, more projection work, hidden gems, late bloomers, guys who fall off a cliff as prospects, etc.

The work done in 2020 (and in some cases 2019) will play a big part in how teams evaluate prospects.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Definitely think a scenario like that plays into acquiring assets based upon perceived value, as oppossed to need.

It could be an interesting draft that resembles those from 25-30 years ago. More guessing, more projection work, hidden gems, late bloomers, guys who fall off a cliff as prospects, etc.

The work done in 2020 (and in some cases 2019) will play a big part in how teams evaluate prospects.
TBF, probably easier to complete a deal on such a basis, as well.

Also, I should mention that, my org-balancing fantasies aside, IMO at this stage, it's much more likely they deal prospects as part of a package for (a) young player(s) who can contribute to the existing team.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Also a note from a while back, which was prior to McKenzie's article, the Rangers were higher on Beniers than Johnson.

I have a feeling that Beniers is going to be pretty high on the Rangers list all season. I don't think they'll be in a position to nab him, but he strikes me as someone their people will continue to really like.
He won't be (in a position for the Rangers to nab him). He probably goes top-7 or so and that is not where I see the Rangers drafting this year.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
He won't be (in a position for the Rangers to nab him). He probably goes top-7 or so and that is not where I see the Rangers drafting this year.

I doubt they'll be in that range, but stranger things have happened.

I also think in the off chance the Rangers missed the playoffs but won the lottery, Beniers could very well be in their top three.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

As much as it would hurt to see it happening, a Lundkvist-Turcotte trade makes a ton of sense for both teams.

Turcotte has a history with Miller, fills a need at center and seems to fit the new approach under JD

Lundkvist gives them a top prospect to strengthen their defense on the right side and he would join a large Swedish contingent with Bjornfot, Moverare, Fagemo and Lias to name a few.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

I wouldn't be surprised if the Rangers finish 6th in the division behind the Bruins, Caps, Penguins, Flyers and Islanders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce