Draft 2021 NHL Draft and Undrafted Free Agent Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
If we were to come up with another top notch goalie prospect--say Wallstedt--and those two share our goaltending it's just going to be awesome and there won't be any off nights where opponents are facing a weaker goalie.
Given where I think that the Rangers should be drafting, I would have no issue taking Wallsedt. However, there is no way he does not go top 10. He may not be top-5, but one can make an easy case that he is the next best thing.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
I fear that is but a day dream. Power goes top-5 and may well go 1OA. Much as I believe that the Rangers will be a bubble team, competing for the last playoff spots, if they are a lottery team then something has gone drastically wrong.

every team that misses the playoffs is a lottery team...so you can be a bubble team, miss the playoffs and be in the lottery with absolutely nothing going wrong.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Given where I think that the Rangers should be drafting, I would have no issue taking Wallsedt. However, there is no way he does not go top 10. He may not be top-5, but one can make an easy case that he is the next best thing.

I see him top 5 actually. Having potentially 4 elite forwards and 2 elite goalies and a young upcoming defense---the team will be stacked. In a way I'd like a center but I'm not married to the idea. Before this draft I thought whoever took Askarov would be very happy with that pick 10 to 15 years from now (and really that's what's most important) and if anything I think Wallstedt will probably be better.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Taking a goalie in the first round is never a good idea

And then you factor in the Rangers can find a starting goalie late or in UFA, it’s just terrible idea

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Taking a goalie in the first round is never a good idea

And then you factor in the Rangers can find a starting goalie late or in UFA, it’s just terrible idea
We shall see how Knight does. Montreal is not regretting taking Price. Samsanov looks good. As does Vasilevsiky. Askarov will be around for a long, time. Point being that there are time that exceptions are made.

Not sure that banking on the Rangers to always strike gold as a starting goalie or simply finding a UFA that they can ride in the playoffs makes for sound strategy. There was a long time between Richter and Henke (yes, I know that Blackburn's career was cut short by injury).

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Sometimes you are going to get an 8-10 year starter in the league at 20 years old. Askarov looks like an absolute monster, he's another one who is a few pounds of mass away from being in the NHL. I don't think you need a high goalie pick. When you have Benny, you can develop a bunch of them.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
So somehow three years in a row now we've had "The Best Goaltending Prospect in Years." Very reminiscent to what we go through in the NFL Draft with RBs and "The Best RB Prospect Since Peterson"

This is very true.

I tend to file it in the same category of the overuse of the concept of someone being a generational talent or the concept that younger sibling is as good or better than the older sibling who was previously drafted.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
So somehow three years in a row now we've had "The Best Goaltending Prospect in Years." Very reminiscent to what we go through in the NFL Draft with RBs and "The Best RB Prospect Since Peterson"

In all fairness, Wallstedt has been talked and hyped for about three years and is actually proving to the world what he is capable of.

Knight and Askarov are worth the hype but not the same level as Wallstedt...

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
ive seen raty dropping like a rock on the draft boards, would love to snag him in the middle of the first round

Yeah Räty is dropping hard.
Even i don't know how that has come possible.

But being honest i'm not ever taken seriously of those talks of Räty being 1st overall 2021.
He isn't showed nothing to even warrant 1st overall status.

To me Räty is fine player.
But he's not excellent world-class player like Lafreniere
and other 1st overalls ( Hughes, MacKinnon, Matthews, McDavid, Dahlin ) last years.

Right now i can't say exactly where Räty goes in 2021 draft.
But if i have to guess i would say he's anything between TOP15 to early 2nd round pick.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
ive seen raty dropping like a rock on the draft boards, would love to snag him in the middle of the first round

Raty is an interesting prospect.

He's a dangerous player because he's shown he can come out of nowhere to pop in some goals and points. He could be having a solid, but otherwise unspectacular game, and then suddenly bam he has a couple of goals --- just like that.

The challenge has been that he isn't consistently a dangerous player. There's competiting theories as to why.

Some people have pointed to his higher end skating taking a hit as he's grown and filled out a bit more. Others have pointed to confidence --- there's quite a bit of controversy as to how he's been utilized. Others have pointed to him being a very good talent, but not necessarily having all the tools of a great or elite talent --- believing his ability to process the play of faster competition offensively doesn't necessarily match his hands and his feet.

My personal take is this:

I think he was a kid who was seen as being the top pick in his draft very early on (I admit I was never quite sold on that), but whose flaws and limitations have become more apparent upon repeated viewings. I think he's good straight ahead skater, but I don't think he pivots nearly as well and I think that fraction of a second delay, along with an inability to "speed read" puts him just out of synch enough that it limits his ability to convert offensively or really drive the play against men.

Now, his utilization and the coaching he's been exposed to has not done him very many favors. However, there is a concern that he's not necessarily picking up things and demonstrating growth or knowledge at pace that would indicate he's shaping thinto an elite-level prospect or player.

I see first round skills there, but there are just too many stretches of under-performance, even if it's not entirely his fault, to take him in the top 5 at this point, and maybe even in the top 10.

Going from a potential top pick to a "mere" first-rounder isn't a death sentence for a prospect by any stretch. The question scouts are likely asking themselves right now is whether they are looking at a Logan Couture or an Angelo Esposito.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Going from a potential top pick to a "mere" first-rounder isn't a death sentence for a prospect by any stretch. The question scouts are likely asking themselves right now is whether they are looking at a Logan Couture or an Angelo Esposito.
I will say that his drop has been interesting. I honestly do not know if I would take him ahead of a Pastujov right now. And definitely not ahead of any of those top 5 defensemen or Wallsedt. But as a late round first? He makes for a very good pick.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I will say that his drop has been interesting. I honestly do not know if I would take him ahead of a Pastujov right now. And definitely not ahead of any of those top 5 defensemen or Wallsedt. But as a late round first? He makes for a very good pick.

He certainly could be.

I think under different circumstances, most would see him as a first round talent and not necessarily spend too much time over-thinking it.

Unfortunately, Raty is going to be compared to the expectations that were (right or wrong) placed upon him.

A big challenge for him is that everyone is watching him. Sometimes that also means that you end up sliding right out of the first round because the extended looks raise serious doubts your long-term projectibility (as a fanbase we've seen this cut both ways with a talent like Duclair, and a talent like Day).

I think most teams still have him in the first at this point, though we'll see where the ends up. I can't completely rule out that he isn't a guy who slides into the second or third round. This being a "weaker" draft shrouded in uncertainty will probably help his cause more than if Raty was eligible for 2018-2020.

Reactions: Rangers in 7

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

Raty was a kid who stood out because his tools were advanced compared to his peers.

Against men, those tools are good, sometimes very good, but haven't necessarily proven to be top shelf.

As a follow-up to this thread, I asked a friend from San Jose who is very familiar with Raty what he thought. In short, the feedback was that Raty has shown glimpses of doing a lot of things very well (shooting, skating, passing, two-way game, etc.), but he hasn't necessarily done most of them in combination on a consistent basis.

Raty's current game was described as being somewhat "compartmentalized" and he was a prospect who you'd stereotypically say "needed to put the puzzle pieces in the right spots" to advance.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

Buldoc as a RD would be an interesting concept (I know they'll catch the mistake and correct it).

The article also highlights some of the division there is on Raty. You have two scouts naming him the top prospect in the draft, McKenzie has him 8th in the power rankings, which means it's almost a certainty that there are some teams who currently have him sitting in the teens. So you're spread is potentially 1 to 13 at this point, maybe even greater than that.

Under normal circumstances I'd really be eyeing guys like Sillinger and L’Heureux, but obviously that's not the sexier choice right now.

Outside of the tippy-top talent, I know the Rangers were keeping very close tabs on Buldoc and L'Heureux. They really liked McTavish last year and I expect them to keep a close eye on him and Chayka when/if given the chance.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I know we need a center most but I really want Owen Power too lol

It will be interesting to see if there's a scenario like last year where the fanbase is really pulling for a center, but the best prospect on the board (or the one rated highest by the Rangers) is seen as playing a position with depth. So you could very well have a situation where the Rangers end up taking a LD or a wing.

Hell, I know the Rangers are really high on Clarke. He's a RD and some fans would be hitting the roof if the Rangers took him.

But I think if people are wanting to draft a center, this is probably another draft where you need to get into the top 10 or top 12, or be okay with a guy later who has some serious question marks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad