Draft 2021 NHL Draft and Undrafted Free Agent Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Reading through the Black book now, will post anybody i find intriguing. First guy's Nolan Allan.

They have him at 50, with ratings of 7 (very good, relative to the rest of the class) in Hockey Sense, Compete, Skating, & Misc., albeit with Skill only at 5 (avg. relative to the rest of the class). Most other scouting services have him in the 50-80 range, meaning he'd likely be available w/ one of our 3rds.

Writeup suggests a good complimentary dman, not a line-driver, but good defensively & in transition. He's 6'2, 194, but on the younger side of the draft class with an April '03 birthday.

If there was an OHL season, I think Allan would've been one of those riser candidates. There's a lot to like in his game. He didn't necessarily stand out in the OHL extravaganza, but he showed poise and competition. Think Black Book got that description correct.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Who went top 20 that some think won’t?

“Pinelli is a really good player, but if he goes Day 1, I would bet it’s towards the end of the round,” predicted a scout.

^ Thought this was an interesting excerpt from that mock...

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
NHL Staff Mock Draft 2.0 with scouts' audit: Do the Canucks win the draft? Will the Wild get a center?

Carp has NYR taking Othmann at No. 15, but he does say that he thinks NYR will deal the pick.

Othmann at 15 is a bit of a reach for what he brings to the table currently, IMO.

Othmann is interesting because there's a lot to like there, but also some significant work to be done. He definitely has potential, but I also feel like there's probably more of a push for him to be Gabriel Landeskog than where he's at. If he's the pick, I'd rather trade down and grab an extra something in the deal.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Who went top 20 that some think won’t?

“Pinelli is a really good player, but if he goes Day 1, I would bet it’s towards the end of the round,” predicted a scout.

^ Thought this was an interesting excerpt from that mock...

I feel like Pinelli was already in the mid-20s before he kept progressing this season. I personally would have a harder time seeing him being a candidate for Day Two or going even later than expected. But stranger things have happened.

Reactions: Joey Bones

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
So the recent athletic mock has raty going 25, does that fit expectations? I know he had flaws exposed but supposedly after missing the world juniors he played much better. If he's available at 15 is he worth a little bit of a project?

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
So the recent athletic mock has raty going 25, does that fit expectations? I know he had flaws exposed but supposedly after missing the world juniors he played much better. If he's available at 15 is he worth a little bit of a project?

I mean I think he's worth the gamble at No. 15. Thought he just had a bad season.

With that said, there have been recent publications saying his heart is not that into the game which could ultimately leave him dropping in the draft. I think, ATM, it's more likely he'd go in the 20's than earlier because of those allegations, but when he's on his game he's really fun to watch.

We'll see, though. For NYR, think they might benefit going elsewhere with their pick. I, personally, don't believe he's taking himself out of the game and will bounce back, but that's hard to say if that happens.

Reactions: TheBloodyNine

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

It does somewhat align with the speculation that Drury is more interested in risers and thus explain why Raty was seen as someone who might not necessarily be at the top of his list.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

Kaapo di tutti capi

Jan 13, 2012
Nashville, TN.
Just for shits and giggles, I did a draft sim following black book to the letter to see what it would look like (except for the goalie who I took later than I should have because I knew I could) . Not so sure I love this draft but it might be because I want more centers.

15 Simon Edvinsson LD BB rank - 3
64 Matthew Knies LW BB rank - 13
79 Shai Buium LD BB Rank - 33
103 Tristan Broz C BB rank - 36
105 Sean Tschigirl LW BB rank - 47
111 Jayden Grubbe C BB rank - 67
143 Simon Knak RW BB rank - 87
175 Kirill Gerasimyuk G BB rank - 48
207 Caedan Bankier C BB rank - 84

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Just for shits and giggles, I did a draft sim following black book to the letter to see what it would look like (except for the goalie who I took later than I should have because I knew I could) . Not so sure I love this draft but it might be because I want more centers.

If we somehow got Edvinsson at 15, but then drafted a goalie with every single one of our remaining picks, I would still consider that to be a better draft outcome than I expected haha

Kaapo di tutti capi

Jan 13, 2012
Nashville, TN.
If we somehow got Edvinsson at 15, but then drafted a goalie with every single one of our remaining picks, I would still consider that to be a better draft outcome than I expected haha

Yeah, but Edvinsson falling to 15 had nothing to do with following BB rankings - that was just luck. I don't think I've seen him drop that much before in any other simulations I did.

Reactions: Harbour Dog

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Will we really see big trades made at the NHL draft? This happens every year. The draft comes and we really don't see big trades made. Maybe we will see big trades made after the draft leading up to free agency opening on the July 28th. Money is so tight in the NHL.

Teams trade up or trade down in the draft. The Rangers made the big trade with Arizona for Stepan 4 years ago. Arizona had the money to absorb the entire contract.

There are so many players available for trades this summer. Where are they all going?

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
these seem to contradict much common 'wisdom' -
and imply some seemingly top notch options for NYR

Reactions: bernmeister

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
I don't think they keep the pick either, but Othmann and Coronato seem like Drury types.

I know he isn't running the show here, but they seem like Morehouse types too.

It's tough to gauge who a Drury type is, ATM. There's no indication of it yet. It was even hard to gauge when Gorton was there. Going with players with all sorts of different traits. We'll have to see.

I absolutely don't want Coronato!!

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
these seem to contradict much common 'wisdom' -
and imply some seemingly top notch options for NYR

That's way out in left field. Power is going top 3 easily. Think that's the highest I've seen Zellweger (who I think is a late 1st talent). Coronato going top 10 is LOL worthy.

Lowest I've seen Edvinsson. Raty not even in the 1st round.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
That's way out in left field. Power is going top 3 easily. Think that's the highest I've seen Zellweger (who I think is a late 1st talent). Coronato going top 10 is LOL worthy.

Lowest I've seen Edvinsson. Raty not even in the 1st round.

I have a feeling that Raty will be out of the first round on Macknezie's next list as well. He's had a hell of a fall from scout's graces for a prospect who's been playing against men for two years.

And I can kind of see it.

Like, look at a kid like Stjernborg who produced similarly in a tougher league, but isn't seen as having that ceiling. If scouts don't think Raty is capable of imposing his skill against men for whatever reason, then there's not much separating those two guys.

I'm fine with taking a swing on Raty, but that guys are starting to doubt if there is much upside there is pretty worrying if we're talking about 15OA.

SRHRangers

Aug 18, 2020

If this is our draft, I'll be doing backflips in celebration.

And prolly be on bedrest afterwards for 4-6 weeks.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
I have a feeling that Raty will be out of the first round on Macknezie's next list as well. He's had a hell of a fall from scout's graces for a prospect who's been playing against men for two years.

And I can kind of see it.

Like, look at a kid like Stjernborg who produced similarly in a tougher league, but isn't seen as having that ceiling. If scouts don't think Raty is capable of imposing his skill against men for whatever reason, then there's not much separating those two guys.

I'm fine with taking a swing on Raty, but that guys are starting to doubt if there is much upside there is pretty worrying if we're talking about 15OA.

Well, I think it depends on who you talk to. Some say he had a bad season others say he's in his own way. But with the recent reports of "his heart not being in the game" will surely cause a stir. It could ultimately see his draft stock to fall like we have been seeing it.

I really can't wait to see what Bob says...

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Just summarizing the pro scout quotes about Raty in the Black Book:

5 quotes from 2020
1 says he's a mid-round guy
1 says they wouldn't consider him until the 6th round
2 say they think he could be a third liner in the NHL
1 wonders if he forgot how to scout whenever he sees him listed in people's top10

12 quotes from 2021
1 says "not high end"
5 say they are surprised at lists that have him top 20, even calling those lists "garbage" and suggesting that guys should quit scouting lol
3 say he isn't a first round talent
3 say he won't be an NHL player

One guy in 2021 did say that he had him in the early second round. The picture that is painted of him in those quotes is not a good one.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Well, I think it depends on who you talk to. Some say he had a bad season others say he's in his own way. But with the recent reports of "his heart not being in the game" will surely cause a stir. It could ultimately see his draft stock to fall like we have been seeing it.

I really can't wait to see what Bob says...

I haven't seen anything about his heart being in the game or whatever. I believe Black Book and a couple scouts actually spoke well of his compete level and desire to affect games.

One guy said he was shocked that he was so high on Bob's list and hoped another team would take him and leave better players on the board lol

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Just summarizing the pro scout quotes about Raty in the Black Book:

5 quotes from 2020
1 says he's a mid-round guy
1 says they wouldn't consider him until the 6th round
2 say they think he could be a third liner in the NHL
1 wonders if he forgot how to scout whenever he sees him listed in people's top10

12 quotes from 2021
1 says "not high end"
5 say they are surprised at lists that have him top 20, even calling those lists "garbage" and suggesting that guys should quit scouting lol
3 say he isn't a first round talent
3 say he won't an NHL player

One guy in 2021 did say that he had him in the early second round. The picture that is painted of him in those quotes is not a good one.

Interesting, I wonder who these scouts are. Are they all Black Book scouts?

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Interesting, I wonder who these scouts are. Are they all Black Book scouts?

They're all scouts for NHL teams. I'll check the Black Book guys quotes now too!

e - the Black Book guys were less committal. They basically expressed concern about his progression, and that they continued sliding him down their list over the last year; where he's finished at 56th. It sounds like they are a little higher on him than most NHL scouts that they talked to.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
They're all scouts for NHL teams. I'll check the Black Book guys quotes now too!

e - the Black Book guys were less committal. They basically expressed concern about his progression, and that they continued sliding him down their list over the last year; where he's finished at 56th. It sounds like they are a little higher on him than most NHL scouts that they talked to.

Okay, we'll see either way...

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I would not be jazzed about us taking Raty at 15 and really I like Helenius more but if Raty is around in the 3rd round I’d jump all over that.

Buch and Anthony Duclair dropped like rocks in the same draft year. The Rangers took both of them in the 3rd round. I think we also took Graves that year and we killed that draft in a year in which we had no 1st or 2nd rounder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad