Draft 2021 NHL Draft and Undrafted Free Agent Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Initial thoughts, without having any recent conversations.

Not Surprising:

Guenther being as high as he is. I've said for a while scouts are higher on him than publications and fans seemed to be.

Lucius climbing back into the top 10. If he's healthy, he's a hell of a prospect.

McTavish being that high. He's another one that scouts are higher on than fans/publications. I can also tell you he was very well liked by the Rangers last season.

Sillinger's ranking. He's not a perfect player, and can be very one dimensional. But there are quite a few scouts that feel his goal scoring potential isn't as far from Guenther as it might seem.

Keep an eye on Chibrikov as your riser from here on out. He's catching people's eyes as a kid with potential high-end talent and a swing worth taking in a draft like this.

Surprising

Clarke being ranked so low. There are quite a few people who think he's potentially the most dangerous defenseman in this draft.

Edvinsson being ranked that high. I've heard a lot of mixed opinions on him. You have some people who have him ranked darn close to the top, and others who are hedging on having him in the top 10.

Sebastian Cossa. Nothing personal, but I would not have him in my top 15 as a goalie, based on a relatively small sample size on a very good WHL team that features one of the top forwards in this draft, and one of our better prospects on defense.

Bolduc still being so high. Here's a guy who I feel came in with high expectations, but the results have been...not bad, so much as underwhelming.

Raty being so low. Look I get it, the offense hasn't been there and the results aren't matching what people projected a year or two ago. But he's a smart player, who looks like he has an NHL future --- especially over some guys ahead of him.

Svechkov feels undervalued to me. Sure he doesn't project as top line forward, but I think he compares reasonably well to middle six prospects who went higher last year, in a deeper draft.

L'Heureux also feels terribly under-valued. He's not a center, or a top line player, but I think he compares favorably to Greig at this same point last season. Similar upside, albeit with a more physically developed frame.

Last edited:

nsvoyageurs

Jun 5, 2012
NS Canada

Not Surprising:

Guenther being as high as he is. I've said for a while scouts are higher on him than publications and fans seemed to be.

Lucius climbing back into the top 10. If he's healthy, he's a hell of a prospect.

McTavish being that high. He's another one that scouts are higher on than fans/publications. I can also tell you he was very well liked by the Rangers last season.

Sillinger's ranking. He's not a perfect player, and can be very one dimensional. But there are quite a few scouts that feel his goal scoring potential isn't as far from Guenther as it might seem.

Keep an eye on Chibrikov as your riser from here on out. He's catching people's eyes as a kid with potential high-end talent and a swing worth taking in a draft like this.

Surprising

Clarke being ranked so low. There are quite a few people who think he's potentially the most dangerous defenseman in this draft.

Edvinsson being ranked that high. I've heard a lot of mixed opinions on him. You have some people who have him ranked darn close to the top, and others who are hedging on having him in the top 10.

Sebastian Cossa. Nothing personal, but I would not have him in my top 15 as a goalie, based on a relatively small sample size on a very good WHL team that features one of the top forwards in this draft, and one of our better prospects on defense.

Bolduc still being so high. Here's a guy who I feel came in with high expectations, but the results have been...not bad, so much as underwhelming.

Raty being so low. Look I get it, the offense hasn't been there and the results aren't matching what people projected a year or two ago. But he's a smart player, who looks like he has an NHL future --- especially over some guys ahead of him.

Svechkov feels undervalued to me. Sure he doesn't project as top line forward, but I think he compares reasonably well to middle six prospects who went higher last year, in a deeper draft.

L'Heureux also feels terribly under-valued. He's not a center, or a top line player, but I think he compares favorably to Greig at this same point last season. Similar upside, albeit with a more physically developed frame.

Thanks for your assessment, Edge!

There are concerns about Zachary L'Heureux. Talented skill player, but has been suspended a number of times for on ice incidents in which he's lost his cool. Opposing players have used this against him, baiting him into doing stupid stuff. Got suspended recently because he flipped the bird to some fans in the stands.

He will need to learn he can't be doing that kind of stuff as he moves up the ladder. His team, the Halifax Mooseheads should already be discussing this with him. Not saying these issues will drastically affect his ranking or where/when he gets selected, but the kid needs to mature on the ice.

The Mooseheads season concluded a couple of days ago, so it's all draft preparation for him right now. I'm not saying he can't or won't mature, I hope he does. He can be a heck of a player once he does.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Thanks for your assessment, Edge!

There are concerns about Zachary L'Heureux. Talented skill player, but has been suspended a number of times for on ice incidents in which he's lost his cool. Opposing players have used this against him, baiting him into doing stupid stuff. Got suspended recently because he flipped the bird to some fans in the stands.

He will need to learn he can't be doing that kind of stuff as he moves up the ladder. His team, the Halifax Mooseheads should already be discussing this with him. Not saying these issues will drastically affect his ranking or where/when he gets selected, but the kid needs to mature on the ice.

The Mooseheads season concluded a couple of days ago, so it's all draft preparation for him right now. I'm not saying he can't or won't mature, I hope he does. He can be a heck of a player once he does.

That is definitely a valid concern. He's had two incidents this year, and if you're the Rangers, you especially want to make sure you do your homework on that one.

Having said that, 27 feels low for him and if he slips into the second, someone is getting a heck of a value there.

Reactions: nsvoyageurs

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
"One scout ranked him as high as No. 2 overall in our TSN survey and he plays a high-end two-way game that is based on what another scout described as “genius level” hockey sense."

I am going to put it out there that I think one of these might be a response from our guys.

Reactions: egelband

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
"One scout ranked him as high as No. 2 overall in our TSN survey and he plays a high-end two-way game that is based on what another scout described as “genius level” hockey sense."

I am going to put it out there that I think one of these might be a response from our guys.
I know you take the best player available but another defenseman would be a tough sell this draft.

Think you gotta take a forward all things being equal (which they may not be)

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I know you take the best player available but another defenseman would be a tough sell this draft.

Think you gotta take a forward all things being equal (which they may not be)

Barring a lottery win, I wouldn't give it too much thought for the Rangers. I think it's more where they have him ranked.

Even then, I suspect the Rangers would just take Beniers.

Reactions: Oscar Lindberg

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
One thing that is interesting, yet again, is the how few listed centers are expected to play the position at the higher levels.

That's been something we've seen a fair amount of over the last two drafts especially.

It could certainly change next draft, but 2020 and 2021 have seen quite higher picks move over to the wings, with a significant drop-off to the prospects who are seen as potentially staying at center.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.

Not Surprising:

Surprising

Who is this year’s Farabee for you? Lucius?

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Who is this year’s Farabee for you? Lucius?

I feel like I don't quite have a Farabee or Zegras this year.

I do really like Berniers, he might be close to that for me. But he's already a higher pick.

I really like L'Heureux, but I wouldn't put him on the level of those guys.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
I feel like I don't quite have a Farabee or Zegras this year.

I do really like Berniers, he might be close to that for me. But he's already a higher pick.

I really like L'Heureux, but I wouldn't put him on the level of those guys.
Yeah. Lucius gives me Wahlstrom vibes. Big boy.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
i
Yeah. Lucius gives me Wahlstrom vibes. Big boy.

If someone told me to pick one player in this draft for my time, I feel like I'd be most happy to come away with Beniers.

I think he's a "winning" player in the NHL. That's the guy who I think gives you the best combination of everything, even if he isn't the best at any one thing.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
i

If someone told me to pick one player in this draft for my time, I feel like I'd be most happy to come away with Beniers.

I think he's a "winning" player in the NHL. That's the guy who I think gives you the best combination of everything, even if he isn't the best at any one thing.
Agreed. We’re not getting that lucky again though. I’m focusing on the mid teens and looking for a motor.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Agreed. We’re not getting that lucky again though. I’m focusing on the mid teens and looking for a motor.

I'll go off McKenzie's list for ease of conversation:

I've become more open to the idea of Raty as a support role player.

Sillinger intrigues me as a goal scoring option with flaws, but growth potential.

I am intriguing by Lysall and Oluasson as nice depth scorers.

Chibrikov is a big swing for me, though his future on a roster like ours would be murky.

L'Heureux is a kid I really like as a potential middle six PITA with enough skill to mesh with higher-end talent.

Svechkov is an incredibly intelligent player that I feel has the potential to play an important role that often gets overlooked.

Skipping ahead to potential third round picks - Dylan Duke looks like he's 12, but he's a slow cook prospect with two-way potential and a little bit of Chris Drury in him.

I feel Joshua Roy has just as much of a chance as some of his higher ranked peers.

If we're looking at familiar names with famous bloodlines, I like Josh Doan's game better than Colton Dach's. Kid never stops working, fights for every inch and is being rewarded by getting better and better throughout the season. Growth spurt hasn't hurt his chances either.

Last edited:

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
I have not looked too much as the prospect rankings as the year has progressed, but I am really hoping there is a Center there with some upside projected to go in the middle of the 1st round.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I have not looked too much as the prospect rankings as the year has progressed, but I am really hoping there is a Center there with some upside projected to go in the middle of the 1st round.

Right now, I think you've got either players who look like they can be really good support players, but don't look like they have high-end potential, or you have guys with debatable high-end potential, who also look like they can be complete misses.

Combination tough year to scout, and a draft that does not have the overall depth that 2018-2020 all seemed to have. It's a very unpleasant combination.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Chaz is my guy in that 10ish range

After that is probably Raty

What’s challenging about this draft is trying to balance the guys you think are capable of more, but have under-performed, vs. the guys who have surprised you and actually delivered.

It’s a smaller sample size and scouting departments are going to have to work even harder to figure out who the real deals are.

For example, we have a lot of kids in the Q who have under-performed this season offensively. On the flip side, you have a lot of European kids who have exceeded expectations. Now you have to figure out what’s real, and who is a strong candidate to bounce back during a more normal season.

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
Lowkey got 5 picks in the 3rd and 4th round. Could do some damage there. Especially with covid there's def gonna be diamonds in the rough who didn't get enough scouting due to not having typical seasons.

Reactions: TheBloodyNine

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Right now, I think you've got either players who look like they can be really good support players, but don't look like they have high-end potential, or you have guys with debatable high-end potential, who also look like they can be complete misses.

Combination tough year to scout, and a draft that does not have the overall depth that 2018-2020 all seemed to have. It's a very unpleasant combination.
If they were going to make a move for a center in this league, such as a Lindholm for example, this would be the draft to be more willing to sacrifice your 1st with. Of course the team you are trying to link up with knows this too, but point remains.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad