2021 NCAA, CHL, OHL and European prospects thread - part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Anybody got a read on this guy other than his point totals? How is his skating, shot, passing, defense?
Before the draft, Grits was seen as having a high hockey IQ and a lot of skill and he was productive in the MHL. He was also seen as being pretty versatile. He’s a playmaker, as well as shooter, and he’s an intelligent shooter who knows how to get high quality shots. And he was seen as having a high compete level, he plays hard and works his ass off to get the puck. (Dobber even described him as a pest.)

So why did he fall to the 5th round? He’s a Russian with a slight build (listed at 5’10” and 169 at the draft) whose was seen as not having elite skating speed to make up for that.

His skating stride and technique is very good and clean, he didn’t have any mechanical issues per se, so physical maturity and strengthened leg muscles can and already has improved his skating speed.

Grits needed to physically mature and get stronger, he had to before he was able to advance to the KHL, and needs to continue to do so.

He’s got a slight build though. It’s not just height. Kaprizov was listed at 5’9” and 185 when he was drafted in 2015 and he’s 5’10” and 202 now. He’s a mini-tank.

Elite Prospects has Grits at 5’10” (179 cm) and 174 (79 kg). I don’t know where the KHL lists this on their English site. The Euro Hockey Tour also has him listed at 179 cm/5’11” and 79 kg/174. (That’s 5’10.47 but hey, it’s nice of them to round up.)

I have no idea how his defense is or whatever but I’m not worried about that, it’s really about him holding up against the physical abuse smaller skilled players get in the NHL. That’s why I have zero problems with him not coming over until he’s 22 years old.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Anybody got a read on this guy other than his point totals? How is his skating, shot, passing, defense?
Skating, shot and passing are good. He has good hands and pretty snipe shot. He is good line driver and I think this is his trump. He is pretty good enough on boards, active forechecker, but he needs to read zones better to be a better defensive player. And he needs a couple of year in jym. He needs to be heavier and stronger. Work more with his legs to be stronger on his skates. For a guy of his age it’s pretty ok.
He grow on himself year after year. He has skills to be pk player, but I will not say he will.

I would say he is very close to Bratt. With worser passing, better shot, better physically, maybe slower but not so much.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
The Athletic's Corey Pronman released his list of top NHLers/prospects under 23.

Ranking the best under-23 NHL players: Who tops the list, Andrei Svechnikov or Jack Hughes?

2 Jack Hughes
20 Luke Hughes
32 Nico Hischier
46 Dawson Mercer
57 Alex Holtz
80 Ty Smith
90 Nolan Foote
92 Shakir Mukhamadullin

It's a pretty good list, but me being me I have my disagreements. I would start by listing Jack Hughes at #1, and I also think -- like everyone else seems to do -- Corey sold Mercer a bit short. Conversely, I'd have Smith and Foote lower than Corey listed them.

Ultimately, it's very encouraging. When your team has a guy at the top of the list, two in the top 20 and 7 in the top 100 -- well, I continue to bang the drum that the future is very bright in NJ.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
The Athletic's Corey Pronman released his list of top NHLers/prospects under 23.

Ranking the best under-23 NHL players: Who tops the list, Andrei Svechnikov or Jack Hughes?

2 Jack Hughes
20 Luke Hughes
32 Nico Hischier
46 Dawson Mercer
57 Alex Holtz
80 Ty Smith
90 Nolan Foote
92 Shakir Mukhamadullin

It's a pretty good list, but me being me I have my disagreements. I would start by listing Jack Hughes at #1, and I also think -- like everyone else seems to do -- Corey sold Mercer a bit short. Conversely, I'd have Smith and Foote lower than Corey listed them.

Ultimately, it's very encouraging. When your team has a guy at the top of the list, two in the top 20 and 7 in the top 100 -- well, I continue to bang the drum that the future is very bright in NJ.
I think he is underrating Mercer's skating. Dawson seems quick to me.

Not sure Foote should be ranked.

Reactions: StevenToddIves

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg

2 Jack Hughes
20 Luke Hughes
32 Nico Hischier
46 Dawson Mercer
57 Alex Holtz
80 Ty Smith
90 Nolan Foote
92 Shakir Mukhamadullin

Mercer is only 46? Skating?
No Gritsyuk?
This is how it looks when you try to write about everyone. No real understanding of details, no context. This is how he dropped Hughes, underrated and still underrate Mercer etc.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
And the most sweet thing

Lafreniere has dropped from 6 to 16.
Kakko from 20 to 35.
Jones from 72 to 54.
Miller from 76 to 72.
Lundkvist from 50 to 88.
Schneider from 67 to 97.
Othmann from 110 to 102.
Berard from not ranked to 110.
Chytil from 48 to 119.

92 Shakir Mukhamadullin

Do you remember how devils were outplayed in the draft day by that great trade?

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
And the most sweet thing

Kakko from 20 to 35.
Jones from 72 to 54.
Miller from 76 to 72.
Lundkvist from 50 to 88.
Schneider from 67 to 97.
Othmann from 110 to 102.
Chytil from 48 to 119.

92 Shakir Mukhamadullin

I have to say I thought Chytil looked like he was ready to break out this year & I’m surprised he’s been so unproductive. He’s very young for his draft class but this is his 4th season (well, sort of, the shortened seasons have stunted that age group in particular).

His numbers are probably pushed down by his line mates this season, I have my doubts that Julien Gauthier could finish a sentence at this point.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg

I have to say I thought Chytil looked like he was ready to break out this year & I’m surprised he’s been so unproductive. He’s very young for his draft class but this is his 4th season (well, sort of, the shortened seasons have stunted that age group in particular).

His numbers are probably pushed down by his line mates this season, I have my doubts that Julien Gauthier could finish a sentence at this point.

Well. OK. I did this post about 2020 draft day, not about "we have 8, they have 6".
I still think Schneider has better floor, Chytil has more chances and he is center(our center are far away from NHL for now), etc. Rangers did a great work to build their franchise.
But 2020 draft day story. That was bull--it from the beggining.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
And the most sweet thing

Kakko from 20 to 35.
Jones from 72 to 54.
Miller from 76 to 72.
Lundkvist from 50 to 88.
Schneider from 67 to 97.
Othmann from 110 to 102.
Chytil from 48 to 119.

92 Shakir Mukhamadullin

The Kakko one is most interesting to me. I remember saying there was no choice for #1 between Hughes and Kakko, but rather the tough choice was Kakko or Byram at #2. People called me crazy for saying that.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
The Kakko one is most interesting to me. I remember saying there was no choice for #1 between Hughes and Kakko, but rather the tough choice was Kakko or Byram at #2. People called me crazy for saying that.

That’s not why they called you crazy.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
And look at them now. There are plenty of players who can be better in the closest perspective and will have more upside, will play more meaningful role. Not only Byram.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
And look at them now. There are plenty of players who can be better in the closest perspective and will have more upside, will play more meaningful role. Not only Byram.

Byram's future has unfortunately been clouded by concussion problems. It turns out the #2 overall pick behind Jack Hughes should have been Trevor Zegras (I had him #5 behind Hughes/Kakko/Byram/Turcotte), and the #3 pick should have probably been Moritz Seider (I had Seider #11, which was higher than almost anyone ranked him but still not high enough).

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
a lot of sites got a lot more clicks from the hughes-kakko debate than they would have with no top-of-the-draft story. but it was always flawed

Bingo.

The problem is, that many people tried to justify this not by pumping up Kakko so much as by putting down Hughes. But I think that, a few years down the road, people will say Hughes was the best first overall pick between generational players Auston Matthews (2016) and Connor Bedard (2023).

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009

2 Jack Hughes
20 Luke Hughes
32 Nico Hischier
46 Dawson Mercer
57 Alex Holtz
80 Ty Smith
90 Nolan Foote
92 Shakir Mukhamadullin

Mukhamadullin below Nolan Foote is pretty ridiculous. As is listing Hughes' shot as "below NHL average" when it's clearly turning into a strength and Smith's skating as "above NHL average" when it's clearly holding him back.

Also, Brandt Clarke all the way down to 77.

GeNeXt

Jul 5, 2012
Mukhamadullin below Nolan Foote is pretty ridiculous. As is listing Hughes' shot as "below NHL average" when it's clearly turning into a strength and Smith's skating as "above NHL average" when it's clearly holding him back.

Also, Brandt Clarke all the way down to 77.

Rating Mercer's puck skills as being average and skating below-average was enough for me to laugh.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

2 Jack Hughes
20 Luke Hughes
32 Nico Hischier
46 Dawson Mercer
57 Alex Holtz
80 Ty Smith
90 Nolan Foote
92 Shakir Mukhamadullin

Man it's easy to forget that the grizzled vet that is Nico Hischier is still under 23. Well was under 23.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Ehh, I don't begrudge him for writing that about Jack's shot. It was a pretty well known weakness of his during the first two years, we complained about it and we all saw the footage of him getting extra help from Recchi after practice. It wasn't until quite recently (the past few months) that his shot improved to the point where he was consistently beating goalies clean.

The thing about lists like these is that they take months to write, and a LOT of research goes into them. That list defeinitely went through at least a dozen version before being published. I'm sure when he started back in October-ish it was something like "I know Hughes is going somewhere top-5, not sure on the exact placement but let me write the blurb now because he's clearly a top choice."

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
And the most sweet thing

Kakko from 20 to 35.
Jones from 72 to 54.
Miller from 76 to 72.
Lundkvist from 50 to 88.
Schneider from 67 to 97.
Othmann from 110 to 102.
Chytil from 48 to 119.

92 Shakir Mukhamadullin

I’ll also add that the Rags 2018 9th pick went from #129 to NOT RANKED. (Good job Drury.)

We had Bahl drop from #92 but he was drafted at #55 and
There’s only 16 guys selected at or after #55 and none of them were from 2018.

There’s 129 guys selected at or after #9 on the list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad