Injury Report: 2021 Injury Thread - Part II

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Even if they keep Byram with the eagles for the rest of the season, which I seriously doubt, you know he'll be the very first call up when someone inevitably gets injured in game 1.

Byram will get postseason games with the Avs. It just sounds like Bednar wants to give Byram plenty of runway to get his game back before throwing him into the deep end. All credit to Bednar for that.
That runway should be 2-3 games at most in Loveland. Byram is already an important part of the Avs and I don't want him missing ANY post season games. Get him in there. Get him playing at the highest level.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
I think being listed as non-roster had to do with COVID, and he’s being moved to IR because of his injury (whatever it is, I’ve still heard shoulder but ‍♂️), and it opens a roster spot if they need it. At least that’s my thought process.

Reactions: Barklez

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Lame.
Even lamer that the NHL didn't do anything about the hit.
Even more lamer that no one on our team did anything to Kolesar. LOB should've at least tried to fight him.

LOB wasn't on the team yet. Byram's last game was against Vegas on 3/27. LOB was signed on 3/30 and his first game was against the Blues on 4/2.

He wasn't going to fight him in the last game a month later. That's not how Bednar wants his team playing. He wants them focused on the game, not settling scores.

LOB is pretty freakin useless

Disagree strongly with this.

I think this is the assumption some have because they think he's just an enforcer, but every game not only is he one of the only players on the Avs actually hitting with some force behind it, but every game he's been making really smart passes for a 4th liner. Some of them setting up goals.

He doesn't make reckless hits, and he doesn't bail on his positioning to go out of his way to hit someone. Plus he's pretty restrained during scrums and hasn't shown to be a liability there.

The most underrated part of his game by far though is his passing. He's a better passer than other 4th liners like Bellemare, Calvert, and Nieto. Not because he's super skilled, but because he has underrated instincts for what you expect from a guy like him.

He also has decent speed and is quite responsible defensively. He's got good instincts defensively so he's usually in good position, he works hard, and he's better than most 4th liners at covering for his center in the middle of the ice, and down low.

He's provided more to the team than Kaut has and the same with Sherwood and Compher lately. He's had some Zadorov like bogus penalties called on him, but I wouldn't scratch him for any other 4th liners except LOC.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
LOB wasn't on the team yet. Byram's last game was against Vegas on 3/27. LOB was signed on 3/30 and his first game was against the Blues on 4/2.

He wasn't going to fight him in the last game a month later. That's not how Bednar wants his team playing. He wants them focused on the game, not settling scores.

Disagree strongly with this.

I think this is the assumption some have because they think he's just an enforcer, but every game not only is he one of the only players on the Avs actually hitting with some force behind it, but every game he's been making really smart passes for a 4th liner. Some of them setting up goals.

He doesn't make reckless hits, and he doesn't bail on his positioning to go out of his way to hit someone. Plus he's pretty restrained during scrums and hasn't shown to be a liability there.

The most underrated part of his game by far though is his passing. He's a better passer than other 4th liners like Bellemare, Calvert, and Nieto. Not because he's super skilled, but because he has underrated instincts for what you expect from a guy like him.

He also has decent speed and is quite responsible defensively. He's got good instincts defensively so he's usually in good position, he works hard, and he's better than most 4th liners at covering for his center in the middle of the ice, and down low.

He's provided more to the team than Kaut has and the same with Sherwood and Compher lately. He's had some Zadorov like bogus penalties called on him, but I wouldn't scratch him for any other 4th liners except LOC.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who sees it. O'Brien might be one of the better passers on the team. It's a shame he's been taking penalties because he and LOC could be the wingers on a really effective 4th line.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
The problem with O’Brien is that he’s not fast enough to disrupt other teams on the forecheck. Pretty much all of his hits are just late finished checks and not really puck pressure. There’s a use for that too, it’s just not as valuable.

Combine that with his undisciplined penalties and it’s led to a lot of ineffective play recently.

kchan9

Oct 7, 2010
The issue with LOB is that he's been a bit undisciplined with penalties. Given the options we have now, I see why LOB is in the lineup but once we get healthy, I can't see him carve out a role on this team.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
The issue with LOB is that he's been a bit undisciplined with penalties. Given the options we have now, I see why LOB is in the lineup but once we get healthy, I can't see him carve out a role on this team.

He's definitely not on the roster when we're all healthy, but he would probably work better if LOC was the primary forechecker. Then LOB could be the second guy in and really smash the defensemen into the boards.

...he separates the man from the puck and backhands a perfect pass to PEB who... shoots it over the net.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
Will Byram be eligible for the Calder still next season? Due to all his injuries, covid, and the shortened season, he is only at 19 games played.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
The problem with O’Brien is that he’s not fast enough to disrupt other teams on the forecheck. Pretty much all of his hits are just late finished checks and not really puck pressure. There’s a use for that too, it’s just not as valuable.

Combine that with his undisciplined penalties and it’s led to a lot of ineffective play recently.
He's just not good. He's not really a big guy that can train track guys and doesn't skate well enough to forecheck effectively.

Mighty Makar

I hate this fu*ken team
May 24, 2016
Will Byram be eligible for the Calder still next season? Due to all his injuries, covid, and the shortened season, he is only at 19 games played.
If he doesn’t play more than 25 games this season, he can.

Reactions: Avs71

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad