Injury Report: 2021 Injury Thread - Part II

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
People kept trying to tell me that Byram was a shoulder injury in the last thread, I’m standing by the only thing that fits the observed pattern of reports and skating/not skating is concussion. And COVID respiratory effects/fatigue/brain fog could cause a setback for someone with a concussion but not for someone with a shoulder injury.

Kid missed games after getting punched in the head a bunch of times and then hit in the head by cheap shot. Sure the shoulder could be involved but I’ll believe there was no brain scrambling if the medical report gets published and not otherwise
Yeah I’ve never considered it anything but a concussion. I mean he skated on his own a couple of days back in the beginning, was supposedly feeling good but then all of a sudden he was off the ice again for a chunk of time. Players skate with shoulder injuries to keep the legs fresh. Byram has only skated in the middle of his setbacks.

Getting his face caved in during a fight and having it followed up by that Kolesar cheap shot. I’d be shocked if it isn’t concussion related. Hope he gets well soon.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
What happened to Gilbert? He dead?

giphy.gif

Reactions: Bill Peckerskull

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
"If he returns"

Oof...

For the record, Bednar never used the words 'if he returns'. He specifically said 'it depends on how he plays when he comes back'. Evan has a much better track record and doesn't pull Dater type moments, but lets get the quotes right.

Evan has the first question of the interview.

Bednar sounds much more confident that Byram will come back than Evan's tweet implies. He just doesn't know how quickly Byram will get back to game speed missing so much time. He does say Byram will 'certainly' get 'some' games with the Eagles, which honestly sounds fun as hell to me with Newhook, Ranta, and Barron down there.

Last edited:

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I hate the phasing there. It sounds to me like Bednar would rather play Nemeth over Bo even when healthy.

If this were a few years ago and the Avs sorely needed more skill on the back end then yes, I wouldn't be down with this. However, with Makar, Toews, and Girard already there I can see why he doesn't want to rush the teenage sensation back. Let's remember, Byram had a fantastic start to his NHL career but also served up some stinkers down the stretch.

He also didn't rule out the possibility of Byram, just pumped the brakes more or less.

The point of contention for me isn't Nemeth--it's Graves. Right now #27 is playing like he has NO business being in the team's top four. A Byram return to me would be more beneficial because it means shoving Graves down the lineup where he belongs. Nemeth was brought in to provide some stability on the third pairing, and once he knocks off the rust, that's what he'll do.

Most frustrating of all is f***ing MacDonald getting injured off the ice during the pause at the worst goddamned possible time.

Reactions: AvsCOL and Ararana

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
Once healthy, I think it will be great for Bo to get a conditioning stint with the Eagles. Let him go down there to get back to game speed and feast on the AHL to get some confidence

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
Im just hoping we see Bowen for the playoffs at this point... it’s been nearly two months since he’s played, and it doesn’t sound like he’s close at the moment. Week-to-week on an injury from March is just really unfortunate.

Kolesar is a dirty pos for that hit. I’m so angry that the NHL chooses to ignore hits like that.

Also, MacDonald getting injured during “training” is so on brand for the Avalanche right now. Can’t even rehab without an injury

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I know there’s a little bit of wait and see on what Byram looks like after barely playing, or practicing for a couple months, but his ability is far and away better than what they have on their bottom pair right now.

It’s not even close imo. I think he’ll get up to speed pretty quickly if he’s actually close to being healthy. The guy is a horse.

Last edited:
Reactions: flyfysher

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Even if they keep Byram with the eagles for the rest of the season, which I seriously doubt, you know he'll be the very first call up when someone inevitably gets injured in game 1.

Byram will get postseason games with the Avs. It just sounds like Bednar wants to give Byram plenty of runway to get his game back before throwing him into the deep end. All credit to Bednar for that.

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
If this were a few years ago and the Avs sorely needed more skill on the back end then yes, I wouldn't be down with this. However, with Makar, Toews, and Girard already there I can see why he doesn't want to rush the teenage sensation back. Let's remember, Byram had a fantastic start to his NHL career but also served up some stinkers down the stretch.

He also didn't rule out the possibility of Byram, just pumped the brakes more or less.

The point of contention for me isn't Nemeth--it's Graves. Right now #27 is playing like he has NO business being in the team's top four. A Byram return to me would be more beneficial because it means shoving Graves down the lineup where he belongs. Nemeth was brought in to provide some stability on the third pairing, and once he knocks off the rust, that's what he'll do.

Most frustrating of all is f***ing MacDonald getting injured off the ice during the pause at the worst goddamned possible time.
Graves only looks worse because he's getting more and tougher minutes. Nemeth and Graves are the same player right now. They're both not good enough. Nemeth won't work on this team. He's too slow. He may have worked in Detroit, but he won't here. People seem to romanticize his time here. He was shit. He wasn't good on the PK, even though I know people believe otherwise. Getting him was a subtraction by addition. Our AHL tweeners would've be a better fit.

We really need 1 more defensemen or I fear that our playoffs will end in a early exit.

Reactions: Rumplesnipeskin

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Graves only looks worse because he's getting more and tougher minutes. Nemeth and Graves are the same player right now. They're both not good enough. Nemeth won't work on this team. He's too slow. He may have worked in Detroit, but he won't here. People seem to romanticize his time here. He was shit. He wasn't good on the PK, even though I know people believe otherwise. Getting him was a subtraction by addition. Our AHL tweeners would've be a better fit.

We really need 1 more defensemen or I fear that our playoffs will end in a early exit.

I don't think anyone "romanticizes" the exploits of a waiver-wire pickup. He was a perfectly fine depth defender on a team that didn't have much depth to begin with. And as Henchy has pointed out, he wasn't any worse (and much cheaper) than Ian Cole.

I don't really think he was "good" on the PK, but he was one of the steadier guys there. Certainly better than Zadorov and at least marginally better than Cole.

And the AHL tweeners are not better unless you're just counting MacDonald. I like Renouf but he most certainly is not better than Nemeth, and we're not even going to have a discussion about Gilbert, Burroughs, or Middleton.

I'll reserve judgment on the deadline acquisitions until the postseason. At present I don't think either guy has been great but Nemo has also missed a ton of time. In light of the injuries it's a good thing those moves were made at all.

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO
On this note, I'm 100% sure Vegas is going to try and take out both Makar and G if we play them.
They'll try and take out everyone. They know they can't beat a fully healthy Avs team. The Avs have owned them the past 2 years (7-2-2), and they haven't scored more than 3 goals in regulation in any of those 11 games, and only topped 3 once in OT. In fact, they've only topped 3 goals vs the Avs 3 times since they came into existence in 2017

Reactions: AvsWraith

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad