Racing: 2021 Formula 1 Season

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Also : Had Mercedes didn't screw up Bottas's stop, there's no way Lewis has to work so hard at the end. They put it on themselves.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
We might actually have a battle. Finally. Max was the better driver there but...hey. It is what it is.

If I'm running Red Bull and I'd say f*** it. I don't have Max give the position back.

Very good racing though.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
I know; it played out the way the rules for this track were written, but it just seems to always pop up at the most important point. I guess that's just how great drivers make their own luck. Anyway, glad to have some competition up and down the leaderboard. Hopefully we have a title race on our hands, and these PU issues within Honda aren't longterm
Hamilton played it really well, if the next corner was to the right, one could've argued that he forced Verstappen off the track. However Hamilton was on the racing line the whole time and Max put himself in a position where the gap was always going to disappear.

If I'm running Red Bull and I'd say f*** it. I don't have Max give the position back.
FIA would probably start to come up with additional penalties though, this would've been like the third (I think?) time Max overtook someone off the track and got penalized for it. Especially if he admitted doing it on purpose over radio.

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
What an incredible finish. Lewis is a lot more likeable when he's being pushed. Not a Hamilton fan but I don't really care if he wins as long as he has to work for it.

Should be a great season, with lots of eyes as a result of DTS.

Reactions: Kane One

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
FIA would probably start to come up with additional penalties though, this would've been like the third (I think?) time Max overtook someone off the track and got penalized for it. Especially if he admitted doing it on purpose over radio.

"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"
- Wayne Gretzky
- Michael Scott
- Christian Horner​

Reactions: DaveG

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
Don't wish anyone to be hurt, and glad he wasn't, but Mazepin DNFing was great to see. Here's to 22 more.

Most of the fans hate him. Most of the grid hates him for breaking unwritten rules by passing a bunch of cars yesterday getting ready for their flying lap. He's spinning at every session.

It's a great start.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Most of the fans hate him. Most of the grid hates him for breaking unwritten rules by passing a bunch of cars yesterday getting ready for their flying lap. He's spinning at every session.

It's a great start.
Mazespin. I think he’s only there to bring Russian investors to haas

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
I never really understood the track limits. I understand for safety reasons, they can’t put the barriers closer to the track, but why don’t they put something less dangerous in the areas that are likely going to be abused like turn 4?

Either put styrofoam signs or baguettes.

It’s bullshit that Hamilton got to break the track limits and nothing happens until Horner complains about it to the stewards. How about enforce it all weekend rather than start half way through the race?

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
I never really understood the track limits. I understand for safety reasons, they can’t put the barriers closer to the track, but why don’t they put something less dangerous in the areas that are likely going to be abused like turn 4?

Either put styrofoam signs or baguettes.
Because that would put debris on the track and cause a VSC.

It’s bullshit that Hamilton got to break the track limits and nothing happens until Horner complains about it to the stewards. How about enforce it all weekend rather than start half way through the race?
I would guess two things happened.

1) everyone was doing it, so no point trying to prevent it
2) RB figured their car is faster through that corner without extending it compared to Mercedes

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
Because that would put debris on the track and cause a VSC.

2) RB figured their car is faster through that corner without extending it compared to Mercedes
It would only put debris on the track if they hit it. And the memo during the race that they will start enforcing the track limit showed that drivers are able to stop exceeding the limit.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
It would only put debris on the track if they hit it. And the memo during the race that they will start enforcing the track limit showed that drivers are able to stop exceeding the limit.
If you start putting styrofoam in places where you can't say whether the driver drove into it on purpose or not, teams would start exploiting the hell out of it to cause a VSC and gain an advantage by pitting.

The bigger issue is that the FIA has a different set of rules for track extending on every track. They don't rule it according to the white lines, it's whether you gain time or not by doing it. Because you know, it would be way too easy to just say over the white line = invalidated lap.

Reactions: DaveG and Kane One

mkev400

Jul 21, 2016

While that may be true, Max was given the instruction by red bull to use the exit of turn 4 as well until its being enforced, implying that while they may have been quicker than the Mercs by staying tighter the lines, they were still compromising their lap times by not running wide. Even if it only brings you a tenth, thats worlds in F1. Now Im not saying Verstappen would have won if Hamilton was pinged on it from the start, but the fact that it took till after half distance to be enforced, certainly could have kept the Mercs that little bit closer than they would have otherwise been.
At the end, who knows if Verstappen would have stayed in the lead (I doubt it) or if he had been closer to Hamilton. All credit goes to Lewis on the Victory. He ran a good race and depite seemingly struggling with the tyres all day, he extracted enough out of the car in the closing stages to let Verstappen ruin his tyres and taking himself out. With exception of Monza last year (and only due to Hamiltons penalty), this was the most exciting lead battle in a very long time. Hopefully it remains as watchable (I dropped out for several years due to boredom, and the lack of any sport last year drew me back in)...

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012

It's a great start.
b7aewtdgbsp61.jpg

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
He decided against it because it would not have been fair to do it like that. A display of sportsmanship.
This is Max Verstappen we're talking about. If he gets another chance at it he 100% does it different. Those two guys certainly respect each other but they're gonna do everything within the rules and possibly beyond to get the edge. I think Max just thought he would've gotten past Lewis easily the second time so he didn't quite think it through.

Vikke

ViktorAllvin twitter
Feb 22, 2004
Västervik, Sweden
twitter.com
This is Max Verstappen we're talking about. If he gets another chance at it he 100% does it different. Those two guys certainly respect each other but they're gonna do everything within the rules and possibly beyond to get the edge. I think Max just thought he would've gotten past Lewis easily the second time so he didn't quite think it through.
Well, no. You're wrong. From here: F1: Verstappen explains why he could not re-attack Hamilton

Verstappen also stated that giving Hamilton the position back at another point later in the same lap would not have been fair to his rival.
"If I would have let him by later then it's an unfair way of giving the position back," he said. "Because then you're so close and it's [an] easy DRS pass. So, I had to do it after Turn 10."​

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Well, no. You're wrong. From here: F1: Verstappen explains why he could not re-attack Hamilton

Verstappen also stated that giving Hamilton the position back at another point later in the same lap would not have been fair to his rival.
"If I would have let him by later then it's an unfair way of giving the position back," he said. "Because then you're so close and it's [an] easy DRS pass. So, I had to do it after Turn 10."​
Eh, there are like 2 or 3 guys out there whose words match their on-track actions. I don't buy it for one second that Max wouldn't have made it harder for Lewis if he got a second chance at it. At minimum he would've (and should've) made Lewis go off line to get the rubber on Lewis' tires rather than his own.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
Max Verstappen isn't some crazed asshole tbh. I get that he's incredible driven and can be cutthroat but this is the same guy who refused to pass Hamilton in Singapore 2018 when Hamilton was held up by backmarkers fighting each other for position.

He has sportsmanship, imo.

I definitely think it's possible to both not want to give the position back AND doing it fairly if you have to do it.

Reactions: DaveG

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad