Racing: 2021 Formula 1 Season

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
Russell probably can't wait to get out of that Williams (though it's at least better than the Haas this year) because as much as adrenaline is going to be high in the moment, the notion that was at all egregious on Bottas' part is silly. Max drove great today, from the start on. Always good to see Mazepin at the back of the field.

Vikke

ViktorAllvin twitter
Feb 22, 2004
Västervik, Sweden
twitter.com
I think the serious lack of testing is really hurting the drivers that switched teams, not to mention the rookies.
I know it's a cost and competetive thing, but they really should add a few more sessions.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Gaps between the teams showed in the race, only battles were caused by tyre difference.

Hamilton still king in the race, Bottas didn't lose by much, about 0.3 seconds per lap after the overtake. Bottas also made a couple overtake mistakes, should've kept to the outside on Hamilton and to the inside on Verstappen. Perez lost his chance by losing out to Sainz and Norris in the beginning. Alonso and Ricciardo made a good comeback through the field.

Giovinazzi and Raikkonen crashing was.. weird. Giovinazzi went back to the left side too soon (already changed his line once to the right), but Kimi didn't go far enough to the left either. Clumsy crash on both parties.

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
Tyres were weird, today. Being on mediums didn't help people in the midfield, even for guys who pushed the softs to their limit on the first stint.

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
On another matter, god is Mazepin a tit. Spending his time at the back eating fumes is well deserved, but that stuff with Perez today wasn't just a mistake, it was just egregious belligerence. Perez is lucky he didn't get damage.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Pains me to admit it but that was a well deserved win for Hamilton.

Bottas just didn't seem to have the race pace and that was an excellent overtake into turn 1
Moments like this is where we really miss Rosberg, he would've just held the racing line (or force Hamilton wide on the outside) and make Hamilton decide whether they're going to crash or not. Bottas thinks about the big picture too much and it's not in his nature to cross the line.

I don't think Bottas will be on the grid next year, too many spots already filled (Perez could get sacked I guess, but outside of that not much else), Russell will probably take his place and Bottas doesn't have the financial backing for a team like Williams. He's not a bad driver, but just too bland for modern social media age F1. We have this saying for bland "odorless, colorless and tasteless", that describes Bottas perfectly.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
On another matter, god is Mazepin a tit. Spending his time at the back eating fumes is well deserved, but that stuff with Perez today wasn't just a mistake, it was just egregious belligerence. Perez is lucky he didn't get damage.

and the 5 second penalty does nothing to help Perez or Redbull. I don't think Max catches Lewis either way but it could have helped if the race was closer.

Vikke

ViktorAllvin twitter
Feb 22, 2004
Västervik, Sweden
twitter.com
Moments like this is where we really miss Rosberg, he would've just held the racing line (or force Hamilton wide on the outside) and make Hamilton decide whether they're going to crash or not. Bottas thinks about the big picture too much and it's not in his nature to cross the line.

I don't think Bottas will be on the grid next year, too many spots already filled (Perez could get sacked I guess, but outside of that not much else), Russell will probably take his place and Bottas doesn't have the financial backing for a team like Williams. He's not a bad driver, but just too bland for modern social media age F1. We have this saying for bland "odorless, colorless and tasteless", that describes Bottas perfectly.

I think Mercedes are perfectly fine with Bottas and Hamilton as a pairing to be honest. Toto talked about it in Beyond the grid, how much easier it is to work in that environment compared to when Rosberg was there and things went south.
Mercedes have two competetive goals each season: Win the driver's championship and the constructor's championship. With Bottas being a perfect number two, that pushes Lewis without over-doing it, they're in a perfect spot to do so.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
I think Mercedes are perfectly fine with Bottas and Hamilton as a pairing to be honest. Toto talked about it in Beyond the grid, how much easier it is to work in that environment compared to when Rosberg was there and things went south.
Mercedes have two competetive goals each season: Win the driver's championship and the constructor's championship. With Bottas being a perfect number two, that pushes Lewis without over-doing it, they're in a perfect spot to do so.
Idk, I feel like the writing has been on the wall for a while now with Russell knocking on the door. If Mercedes really liked the Hamilton/Bottas combo, surely they would've given Valtteri more term at some point, right? Every year just 1 year extension.. that doesn't exactly instill confidence.

Bottas isn't doing any favours to himself on the track either. Bahrain the team screwed up his pitstop, but he would've still been miles behind Hamilton/Verstappen. Imola he was stuck in traffic, didn't show a killer instict of getting past slower cars, and was involved in a clumsy crash with a fellow Mercedes driver. Portugal just bad race pace, had Perez not screwed up the start Bottas would've probably been under pressure from him too.

I get that he's racing arguably the greatest driver of all time, but Bottas has now driven 81 races across 5 seasons on the consistently best car on the grid and out of those 81 races he's won nine. In that same time frame Hamilton has won 44 races, Verstappen 10 and Vettel 11.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Mercedes wouldn't really gain anything by giving Bottas more than a year, they know he's not going to get a better deal elsewhere and this way can get rid of him right away for free once he outlives his usefulness as a wingman. If his fate was about his own pace beyond securing enough points for the team he would be long gone already, for Mercedes it's evidently not even desirable that he would win races or greatly disturb what Hamilton is doing. If he disturbs those in slower cars all the merrier.

Furkmyster

May 5, 2007
Manitoba
Bottas will only be at risk for losing his seat IF Red Bull wins the constructor title. I don't see Toto wanting two alphas in his car in Lewis and George. I do see George leaving Williams at the end of the season, no idea where to though.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Bottas is showing some serious desire to grab a Williams seat before the end of the season.

Reactions: Canadienna

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad