Racing: 2021 Formula 1 Season

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Not providing adequate fuel sample.

It's not like he's withholding it, there just wasn't enough left in the tank after the race.
I didn't know you were required to have so much fuel remaining after the race.

Seems ridiculous.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017

Seems ridiculous.
It's not that you need it for the sake of it. Fuel samples are required so FIA can check everything's done within the regulations after each race.

It's annoying that the results get changed after the race but it is what it is.

Reactions: Mount Suribachi

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
It's not that you need it for the sake of it. Fuel samples are required so FIA can check everything's done within the regulations after each race.

It's annoying that the results get changed after the race but it is what it is.
What about the drivers that ran out of fuel on their way back at the end of the race? How did they provide an appropriate fuel sample.

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest

Seems ridiculous.

Yeah it does, there might be a good reason but I can't really think why you'd need 1L to test. Apparently they could only get 300ml.

Vettel loses second-place finish in Hungary after disqualification for fuel sample issue

It's also just embarrassing to take the points away from AM and Seb, when at the same time Mercedes is shunting their way back into the championship with just a whimper from the stewards.

Totally different situations, but in terms of deserved and undeserved the wrong people are being punished.

Reactions: Fixed to Ruin

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
What about the drivers that ran out of fuel on their way back at the end of the race? How did they provide an appropriate fuel sample.
Usually when you see drivers stopping right after the flag it's because they're so low on fuel they can't afford doing the slow down lap. They don't want to risk any more fuel than necessary. You get a reprimand for not bringing the car to Parc Ferme but that's light compared to disqualification.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
No wonder Lewis was dizzy and not feeling well after the race, he siphoned Seb's tank! :sarcasm:

Covid complications, apparently. It seems the Hungaroring is a super physical race.

(Also, it's perhaps fitting that the winner is probably the fittest driver on the grid).

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
Great, entertaining, race. This season and last has been phenomenal. Most weeks, Mercedes and RB are going to have an advantage, but having things shook up beyond that has made the mid-field battle actually entertaining, rather than going to which team has the most 6th place finishes.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
Covid complications, apparently. It seems the Hungaroring is a super physical race.

It is. David Coulthard admitted that during his rookie season he deliberately binned the car 3/4 into the race because he couldn't take the constant G forces any more as he wasn't fit enough yet.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Yeah it does, there might be a good reason but I can't really think why you'd need 1L to test. Apparently they could only get 300ml.

Vettel loses second-place finish in Hungary after disqualification for fuel sample issue

It's also just embarrassing to take the points away from AM and Seb, when at the same time Mercedes is shunting their way back into the championship with just a whimper from the stewards.

Totally different situations, but in terms of deserved and undeserved the wrong people are being punished.
Not sure how serious you're being here, but..

1L rule applies to everyone, so idk what you're complaining about. It's been in the rulebook for ages and the teams are well aware of it. The embarrasing part is that no one at Aston Martin noticed it until it was too late.

As I already discussed after the previous race, the stewards can't take the championship or race positions into account when judging penalties. It would skew every incident between rival teams and lead to everyone looking for something that isn't there, like the Bottas incident. Is it fair? Probably not. Does the same rules apply to everyone? No, there's clearly been instances where the stewards have looked the other way to favour one of the top teams (Leclerc in Monza 2019 for example), in the same way how NHL refs swallow their whistles.

Also surely you aren't suggesting that Mercedes did the two crashes on purpose? Bottas is arguably the worst wet weather driver of the modern era, so it shouldn't come as a surprise that he f***ed up.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
In some F2 news...

Ticktum got dropped by the Williams academy after he basically called Latifi a shitty pay driver on his Twitch stream. Now Ticktum himself claims the departure was already going to happen prior to said comments, but one has to wonder why Williams would drop a guy who's 4th in the F2 standings when the rest of their academy consists of Roy Nissany, Jack Aitken and Jamie Chadwick.

That guy has some proper issues. That's now the 2nd driver academy he's been dropped from despite being no doubt a talented driver.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
In some F2 news...

Ticktum got dropped by the Williams academy after he basically called Latifi a shitty pay driver on his Twitch stream. Now Ticktum himself claims the departure was already going to happen prior to said comments, but one has to wonder why Williams would drop a guy who's 4th in the F2 standings when the rest of their academy consists of Roy Nissany, Jack Aitken and Jamie Chadwick.

That guy has some proper issues. That's now the 2nd driver academy he's been dropped from despite being no doubt a talented driver.
Yikes. This guy keeps climbing out of the hole, only to start digging a new one right next to it.

If Williams was really going to drop him before this incident, they were probably trying to get the good PR for the rest of the season, which seems shitty as well if they'd already decided on it.

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
Not sure how serious you're being here, but..

1L rule applies to everyone, so idk what you're complaining about. It's been in the rulebook for ages and the teams are well aware of it. The embarrasing part is that no one at Aston Martin noticed it until it was too late.

As I already discussed after the previous race, the stewards can't take the championship or race positions into account when judging penalties. It would skew every incident between rival teams and lead to everyone looking for something that isn't there, like the Bottas incident. Is it fair? Probably not. Does the same rules apply to everyone? No, there's clearly been instances where the stewards have looked the other way to favour one of the top teams (Leclerc in Monza 2019 for example), in the same way how NHL refs swallow their whistles.

Also surely you aren't suggesting that Mercedes did the two crashes on purpose? Bottas is arguably the worst wet weather driver of the modern era, so it shouldn't come as a surprise that he f***ed up.

I'm not complaining about it, I was responding to another poster who didn't know the rules, by providing them with a link. Then mentioned how it seems odd they need a full L. I fully acknowledge as any rational person would that Vettel broke the rules and therefore should be punished.

No I don't believe Mercedes did it on purpose as you are trying to insinuate... A fair reading of my post where I say they were "mistakes" would indicate this. Still it's unfortunate that two mistakes by two Mercedes drivers is the only reason they are currently leading the championship.

That's not to say it was some grand plan, but that sporting punishments should be commensurate with their impact, which when you look at Vettel, Bottas and Hamilton's penalties, they are not.

Reactions: SoupyFIN

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
That's not to say it was some grand plan, but that sporting punishments should be commensurate with their impact, which when you look at Vettel, Bottas and Hamilton's penalties, they are not.
To be fair, I prefer the FIA's fairly systematic penalty handout to the NHL's wheel of fortune. It's not perfect, but at least they don't let outside pressure and circumstances affect it.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
So...
Alfa tested two drivers who probably couldn't be more polar opposites in term of pure skill.
How Pourchaire impressed Sauber before F1 test debut · RaceFans
Raghunathan's private F1 test for Alfa Romeo a "great day" · RaceFans
Speaking of which, it was recently announced Ferrari will not have a say in Alfa Romeo's drivers for 2022. I wonder if that's good news for Theo or not.

They could get him alongside a vet with the regulation changes and everything, which wouldn't most likely be the case if Ferrari still decided one of the seats.

Though I think most likely he'll have to wait till 2023.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Speaking of which, it was recently announced Ferrari will not have a say in Alfa Romeo's drivers for 2022. I wonder if that's good news for Theo or not.

They could get him alongside a vet with the regulation changes and everything, which wouldn't most likely be the case if Ferrari still decided one of the seats.

Though I think most likely he'll have to wait till 2023.

I think myself it's a TAD too early for Pourchaire. He'll have the required SL points in 2022 (unless he starts dropping) and in 2023 since he won't be losing any points before 2024.
I guess Alfa could always take a driver from another Academy. Possibly Zhou, who certainly isn't getting an Alpine drive in 2022 but who could end up winning F2, and while I don't think Zhou is gonna break any record at any point, the fact remains that he doesn't appear to have much to prove in F2.
I don't see much of a point to run some sort of Bottas - Hulkenberg - Giovinazzi - Kvyat combination.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
The lord may probably never get enough super license to get an F1 seat, but I'm glad the meme dream still lives on :laugh:
When I saw the testing thing I tried to look up what he has been up to, and really Googled 'Lord Mahaveer' without thinking twice about it. Then went "oh..."

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom
This has done wonders for Josh Revell's channel on the youtube algorithm :laugh: his video on Raghunathan showing up on my home page again even though I've already watched it

And as I type this I see he uploaded a new video about it just an hour ago

Also in other motorsport news, Valentino Rossi announced his retirement

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad