WC: 2021 Finland Roster Talk

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Complete speculation since we don't know how RUS vs SWE will go but in my opinion SWE takes 3 points from that game as they are back against the wall. RUS can lose to SWE and still win the group since they play vs BLR in the last day, so RUS-SWE is sort of meaningless game for RUS. SWE is back against the wall, so in my opinion SWE takes it.

The top teams have now been warmed up so upsets by other teams are harder to pull off, so for that reason no other upsets in group A and we get:

SWE > RUS
CZE > SVK
CZE > DEN
-------------------
#1 - RUS - 15
#2 - SUI - 15
#3 - CZE - 14 - vs FIN OR USA in QF
#4 - SWE - 12 - vs FIN OR USA in QF
----------
#5 - SVK - 12
#6 - DEN - 8

Hoping that won't happen. In the unlikeliest scenario both CZE and SWE can get eliminated and both SVK and DEN advance, but I wouldn't bet for that lol. It will be fun to watch the remaining games.

Last edited:

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
CZE > SVK
This one's a complete toss-up IMO.

It is quite safe to say though that Russia and Switzerland will finish in top-two of Group A. For that not to happen, SUI would have to drop points against GB and Russia against Belarus. RUS is the most likely 1st seed, as they have the tie-break against SUI, but in a three-way tie at 15 between RUS, SUI, SVK things would get a little more interesting. They'd all have 3 points in that subgroup, so what would determine then is subgroup goal difference. And that's SUI 9-5, RUS 5-4, SVK 4-9, meaning Switzerland would win the group, with Russia coming in second.

Since we clinched a top-two finish in Group B, we won't draw RUS or SUI, unless something totally bonkers happens. It's likely going to be one of SVK, CZE, SWE for us. But it's too early to say more than that.

Last edited:

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
This one's a complete toss-up IMO.

It is quite safe to say though that Russia and Switzerland will finish in top-two of Group A. For that not to happen, SUI would have to drop points against GB and Russia against Belarus. RUS is the most likely 1st seed, as they have the tie-break against SUI, but in a three-way tie at 15 between RUS, SUI, SVK things would get a little more interesting. They'd all have 3 points in that subgroup, so what would determine then is subgroup goal difference. And that's SUI 9-5, RUS 5-4, SVK 4-9, meaning Switzerland would win the group, with Russia coming in second.

Since we clinched a top-two finish in Group B, we won't draw RUS or SUI, unless something totally bonkers happens. It's likely going to be one of SVK, CZE, SWE for us. But it's too early to say more than that.

Yes that one is most likely the case where FIN,USA,SUI,RUS are the top seeds and thus avoid each other in QF games.

About the CZE vs SVK thing. Hard for me to think that CZE as the "big brother" doesn't have an edge there. So I'll stay with my prediction that CZE wins this game. CZE has a nice roster too and was my #1 gold favorite before the tournament started. So hoping for SVK, but it'll prob be CZE winning. SVK needs just one point to eliminate Sweden though and game always starts at 0-0 so maybe, just maybe.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Yes that one is most likely the case where FIN,USA,SUI,RUS are the top seeds and thus avoid each other in QF games.

About the CZE vs SVK thing. Hard for me to think that CZE as the "big brother" doesn't have an edge there. So I'll stay with my prediction that CZE wins this game. CZE has a nice roster too and was my #1 gold favorite before the tournament started. So hoping for SVK, but it'll prob be CZE winning. SVK needs just one point to eliminate Sweden though and game always starts at 0-0 so maybe, just maybe.
My dream has Slovakia and Czechs advancing... we'll see.

Czechs can be eliminated with a regulation loss to Denmark tomorrow to my knowledge. It'll be a lot of scoreboard watching!

I agree with above that Sweden will beat Russia to really complicate things for everyone.lol

eg. if Czechs beat Denmark (which will be tough) and Russia beat Sweden.. I think our final 4 is set and it's just about seeding.

I don't personally think the 1 seed will be good as I think that'll be Canada on a 4 game winning streak. Really hoping for Canada vs Russia quarter to be honest. That may be in my own self interest though.haha

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018

We definitely have a nice record against Slovaks at all levels but they do often upset us and most games are close. I really don't want it to be an elimination game between us.

I think Finland is first country to advance.. congrats.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
I don't personally think the 1 seed will be good as I think that'll be Canada on a 4 game winning streak. Really hoping for Canada vs Russia quarter to be honest. That may be in my own self interest though.haha

That's what scares me a little bit. Top teams that started bad in this tournament, CZE, SWE and CAN. They all are riding a momentum as they are forced to play better, so it's not like the top seeds of group B, USA and FIN are getting some kind of reward from group A if CZE and SWE will advance. Slovakia would be easier, but of course not easy either.

If Sweden is to advance, then I'd like very much for USA to eliminate them. I'm feeling that USA will be in top-4 regardless of who they face in the semifinal.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
That's what scares me a little bit. Top teams that started bad in this tournament, CZE, SWE and CAN. They all are riding a momentum as they are forced to play better, so it's not like the top seeds of group B, USA and FIN are getting some kind of reward from group A if CZE and SWE will advance. Slovakia would be easier, but of course not easy either.

If Sweden is to advance, then I'd like very much for USA to eliminate them. I'm feeling that USA will be in top-4 regardless of who they face in the semifinal.
US are running very well... they have a great scoring line and 2 very good goalies (I think it's actually 3). I will never understand how their U20, U18 and insane talent pool of NHL players never shows up at the senior level. Such a good program. But they have very little luck at Olympics, best on bests and the WC.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
US are running very well... they have a great scoring line and 2 very good goalies (I think it's actually 3). I will never understand how their U20, U18 and insane talent pool of NHL players never shows up at the senior level. Such a good program. But they have very little luck at Olympics, best on bests and the WC.

Yes it's strange. We know some factors for that like big ice and not many warm up games, but doesn't explain how they have so often so talented players in WHC and can't get that gold ever. So it remains to be seen if they choke again in the playoffs, but I feel like this time they will be in top-4.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Yes it's strange. We know some factors for that like big ice and not many warm up games, but doesn't explain how they have so often so talented players in WHC and can't get that gold ever. So it remains to be seen if they choke again in the playoffs, but I feel like this time they will be in top-4.
Probably.. quarters are going to be very tight this year. I don't see many blowouts. States may end up with a very tough opponent but I think everyone will. I sitll think 7 nations here have a chance at Gold. I'll be surprised if Semi's isn't 4 of those 7. Guess we'll see.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Jalonen said yesterday that top-2 teams of each group get to play their QF in the same arena as their group was. This made me thinking that if Latvia actually qualifies for the playoffs and Finland places second in the group behind USA, doesn't that mean that Finland has to change arena as the home team in the past always stays in it's group stage arena.

So if the aforementioned is true, then we don't want Finland to play their most important game of the tournament in another arena, then we must hope that one of these things will happen:
-Latvia doesn't make it to playoffs
-Finland wins the group. #2 USA has to change it's arena.

So there is definitely something to watch out for and to play for against Canada with the results if the tournament organizing home team gets to stay in it's group stage arena.

Husqvarna

Jan 5, 2019
My dream has Slovakia and Czechs advancing... we'll see.

Czechs can be eliminated with a regulation loss to Denmark tomorrow to my knowledge. It'll be a lot of scoreboard watching!

I agree with above that Sweden will beat Russia to really complicate things for everyone.lol

eg. if Czechs beat Denmark (which will be tough) and Russia beat Sweden.. I think our final 4 is set and it's just about seeding.

A hostile takeover/makeover is maybe baby the real name of the game for the split between Czechs an the Slovaks - both in politics and ice hockey. That is. I've been to Slovakia (Bratislava) a couple of times ... when my local team HV71 played Championships hockey for instance and Finland played their game, of course. Never been to Prag thou', my bad, I wonder why?!
A real beautiful city by all accounts I've heard.

But no way I have never ever seen/heard of bad blood between Slovakia and the Czechs Republik ... it's far more worse between Finland and Sweden!

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
A hostile takeover/makeover is maybe baby the real name of the game for the split between Czechs an the Slovaks - both in politics and ice hockey. That is. I've been to Slovakia (Bratislava) a couple of times ... when my local team HV71 played Championships hockey for instance and Finland played their game, of course. Never been to Prag thou', my bad, I wonder why?!
A real beautiful city by all accounts I've heard.

But no way I have never ever seen/heard of bad blood between Slovakia and the Czechs Republik ... it's far more worse between Finland and Sweden!
I don't think we have animosity towards each other. Of course, I don't speak for everyone. I cheer for Slovaks when I'm not playing them personally. I don't see our countries going to war anytime soon. Prague is one of the nicest cities in Europe. It's gorgeous. However, I'm not a fan of going there as it is very touristy. Bratislava is great too!

Reactions: Husqvarna

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Jalonen said yesterday that top-2 teams of each group get to play their QF in the same arena as their group was. This made me thinking that if Latvia actually qualifies for the playoffs and Finland places second in the group behind USA, doesn't that mean that Finland has to change arena as the home team in the past always stays in it's group stage arena.
Switching an arena is an inconvenience because it usually involves travel, which means it's a day wasted on the road, and the home team can use it for rest and preparation.

In this case, though, while it could be a minor inconvenience for the players and the staff, it only becomes a real hassle for the equipment managers, as the other arena is literally across the street...

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Switching an arena is an inconvenience because it usually involves travel, which means it's a day wasted on the road, and the home team can use it for rest and preparation.

In this case, though, while it could be a minor inconvenience for the players and the staff, it only becomes a real hassle for the equipment managers, as the other arena is literally across the street...

I know that it's nearby but I wouldn't want a distraction like that for the team for the most important game of the tournament. The opponent will feel like at home as well. It's never a good thing.

Husqvarna

Jan 5, 2019
No not Sweden in the quarters please for Finland - I can't even stand if their luck so and that big brother Sweden mentality and their big brother chest-gorilla-beating that they been brought up with.

Even thou' Finland always helped them (Sweden) in every war they Sweden ever was involved in and even won. He ain't my brother ... he is heavy.

Finland don't need a shakedown this time around.

Nazareth - Vancouver Shakedown lyrics - letras - testo | Songs-tube.net

Husqvarna

Jan 5, 2019
We - Finland - only came here to play rock'n'roll hockey in Riga. We ain't no wise boys - we ain't no fools. We play by the rules. We know the jive.

Husqvarna

Jan 5, 2019
Finland people even throw out their TV:s from the balcony when we lost to Sweden in Finnkampen back in the 70's hey day - way to go Finland!

Husqvarna

Jan 5, 2019
... and that was only by track and field athletics against the Swedes in that annual competition believe it or not.

Way to a go go Finland!​

Last edited:

Husqvarna

Jan 5, 2019
We Finland play our style of hockey no matter what, so what?!

We ain't no afraid of no ghosts in hockey ... but to get that boogey-team Sweden out our way is rather all right and that for me :thumbu: as a Finn.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Starter: 45 Jussi Olkinuora
Backup: 29 Harri Säteri
1:
80 Saku Mäenalanen – 24 Hannes Björninen – 12 Marko Anttila
6 Tony Sund – 50 Miika Koivisto
2:
22 Arttu Ruotsalainen – 15 Anton Lundell – 20 Niko Ojamäki
3 Olli Määttä – 7 Oliwer Kaski
3:
21 Jere Innala – 27 Petri Kontiola – 81 Iiro Pakarinen
55 Atte Ohtamaa – 2 Ville Pokka
4:
38 Teemu Turunen – 13 Mikael Ruohomaa – 76 Jere Sallinen
40 Petteri Lindbohm – 39 Kim Nousiainen

Nothing really drastic, but still some adjustments.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
I hope that GER will beat LAT on regulation now so FIN doesn't have to change the arena. There's always a small disadvantage with that. I also want CAN to advance to playoffs so RUS-CAN happens instead of RUS vs GER/LAT.

SVK winning over CZE or SVK losing via OT/SO would make FIN-SVK QF game. CZE regulation win over SVK = FIN-CZE QF.

Reactions: Czechboy and king89

king89

Dec 4, 2018
Looks like Czech will be the ones we meet, would had much prefered Slovakia. Czech is a scary opponent.

Reactions: Mestaruus

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Looks like Czech will be the ones we meet, would had much prefered Slovakia. Czech is a scary opponent.

As Leopardi said in the game thread, the goalie should've been pulled by Finland at the end and go 6on5. A lost opportunity.

Reactions: king89

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
See you soon Finland... That's going to be a brutal match. I think it's an even quarter and could go either way with these rosters.

You are defending Gold medalists and have tonnes of Sisu.

Reactions: Stubu

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad