WC: 2021 Finland Roster Talk

Kuljeskelen

Jan 2, 2020
Finland
Canada would have a good shot at winning then. That is a hard psychological situation when other team is back against the wall and when other team isn't. Sort of like an advantage for Canada in that situation. It's possible that Finland could put their backup goalie on paper on goal (quite even goalies though) and substitute some players as well in that case. However considering how crazy the other group and this group is with the upsets, Finland might have something to play for in the Canada game as well.

Of course Finland will attempt to win. If Canada isn't eliminated by then and the game is quite even, I can see things going dirty and the referees shitting the bed.

Reactions: mattihp

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Guys, your thoughts on Ruohomaa and Maenalanen so far?
Mäenalanen is a part of the most functional line, the fourth line. There is really nothing to complain about. He is a solid worker who does his part. Nothing spectacular but as solid as they come. I would like to see more of Ruohomaa, there are some flashes of something really interesting there.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Well, tonight's result was as routine as routine can be, I suppose. Take three points without turning it into a thriller near the end. I guess one could be a little disappointed about not potting more than three, especially with a number of quality chances. Lundell especially was unlucky; he was in the right place at the right time for so many times, but just kept getting foiled.

It feels unfair to harp on any specific unit when the entire team is clearly just doing what needs to be done to walk away with a win, but I was still paying extra attention to what our "spare parts" line, tonight centered by Tiivola, was doing. I'm not going to blame them for such a meager win by any means, but they sure as heck didn't do much to help running up the score either. It'd be easier to rank their performance if I knew what Jalonen is asking of them - are they supposed to be another mainly defensive unit, or is it allowed to expect some contributions to secondary scoring from them? If it's the former, they're doing okay, I guess. It's not like they've cost us any games. But if it's the latter, then they aren't delivering. I wish we'd see that Turunen-Ruohomaa combo which was getting something going in the EHT back together for the next game.

As an aside, we also got a little lucky with the reffing. Both of those penalties Italy's captain got in the first looked cheap as heck. For the entire second period, I was wondering if the refs had reviewed those calls during the break and were going to whistle a make-up penalty or two at any time now.

Lartsaman

Aug 2, 2018
Finland
I just hope that Finland is just sparing themselves to the bigger games. For now I haven´t been overly impressed. I could almost say that with this kind of play the team gets destroyed at the quarters.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
It's interesting to see what happens with that Ruohomaa vs Tiivola thing. Neither has been too visible. I'd prob go back to Ruohomaa or will Jalonen give Tiivola a real chance to show against little bit better teams in GER & LAT I wonder.

Might be that between GER and LAT games Jalonen will use the same players in each of those games as there's not much time to practice between those games if any.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
It's interesting to see what happens with that Ruohomaa vs Tiivola thing. Neither has been too visible. I'd prob go back to Ruohomaa or will Jalonen give Tiivola a real chance to show against little bit better teams in GER & LAT I wonder.

Might be that between GER and LAT games Jalonen will use the same players in each of those games as there's not much time to practice between those games if any.
Ruohomaa is a decent winger too. There might be room for both of them. But I would like Turunen back...

Puustinen has seemed surplus this far. He would have needed to light it up to show that he is useful. He is out of my team at least.

Lundell
Ojamäki
Innala
Ruotsalainen
Björninen
Karjalainen
Kontiola
Turunen
Ruohomaa
Anttila
Tiivola
Puustinen
Sallinen
Mäenalanen
Pakarinen

So three of these guys out...

Puustinen hasn't shown anything. Tiivola hasn't shown much either, but has a capacity to play in several roles. Karjalainen was alright... Ojamäki and Innala maybe haven't done as much as I've expected, but Ojamäki just got onto the roster yet. I am giving Tiivola the benefit of the doubt and rolling these guys

Ruotsalainen - Lundell - Turunen/Ruohomaa
Innala - Kontiola - Pakarinen
Sallinen - Tiivola - Ruohomaa/Turunen
Mäenalanen - Bjööninen - Anttila

Reactions: Mestaruus

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Ruohomaa is a decent winger too. There might be room for both of them. But I would like Turunen back...

Puustinen has seemed surplus this far. He would have needed to light it up to show that he is useful. He is out of my team at least.

I agree about Puustinen now that you mention it.

Hmm three guys out from that list:

Lundell
Ojamäki
Innala
Ruotsalainen
Björninen
Karjalainen
Kontiola
Turunen
Ruohomaa
Anttila
Tiivola
Puustinen
Sallinen
Mäenalanen
Pakarinen

Comes down to Turunen or Tiivola for the last spot in my opinion. Feels harsh to kick Tiivola out already after Italy game, because some players play worse vs such opponents as Italy and some rise to the occasion against the better teams. They play different positions, but could always adjust with some winger/center hybrids like Ruohomaa or Sallinen as you mentioned. So I'm not sure which one of those players to remove.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Ojamäki and Innala maybe haven't done as much as I've expected, but Ojamäki just got onto the roster yet.
Ojamäki has done everything that's asked of him. He's played simple, straightforward power forward game, brought speed and created space for Lundell and Ruohomaa to do their thing. In other words, he's probably the best complementary piece we can ask for for those guys. Well, Pakarinen might be even better, but he seems to be glued to Kontiola's wing for now.

I want to see Ruohomaa and Turunen back in the lineup as well, but not in the same unit as Lundell and Ruotsalainen - as that would likely just mean setting them up to fail, as Jalonen set Turunen and Karjalainen to fail with that horribly misroled Mickey Mouse line. (God, I hope that didn't cost them their roster spots - I wouldn't mind even Karjalainen getting a second chance as part of a different line.) Just put Turunen and Ruohomaa together like they were on EHT, and then give them a third wheel that can support them with his own strengths. The best man for that out of those left is Sallinen, IMO.

So:

Ruotsalainen - Lundell - Ojamäki
Sallinen - Ruohomaa - Turunen
Mäenalanen - Björninen - Anttila

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Ojamäki has done everything that's asked of him. He's played simple, straightforward power forward game, brought speed and created space for Lundell and Ruohomaa to do their thing. In other words, he's probably the best complementary piece we can ask for for those guys. Well, Pakarinen might be even better, but he seems to be glued to Kontiola's wing for now.

I want to see Ruohomaa and Turunen back in the lineup as well, but not in the same unit as Lundell and Ruotsalainen - as that would likely just mean setting them up to fail, as Jalonen set Turunen and Karjalainen to fail with that horribly misroled Mickey Mouse line. (God, I hope that didn't cost them their roster spots - I wouldn't mind even Karjalainen getting a second chance as part of a different line.) Just put Turunen and Ruohomaa together like they were on EHT, and then give them a third wheel that can support them with his own strengths. The best man for that out of those left is Sallinen, IMO.

So:

Ruotsalainen - Lundell - Ojamäki
Sallinen - Ruohomaa - Turunen
Mäenalanen - Björninen - Anttila
So true. Good input.

David OSullivan

Oct 12, 2017
Agree with your lines two posts up file.

Also guys I think ruohomaa vs tiivola is no contest personally. Ruohamaa easily for me and I think he's actually been pretty decent this tournament. Point production hasn't come yet but I ve actually liked his game and think he was noticeable. Tiivola on the other hand was completely invisible against Italy. Easy decision in my book.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
I was checking for fun what could be the nightmare situation for Finland if they lost both next games. There is a scenario like this. It's possible but unlikely - 4x teams at 13 points:

15 - USA - Beat ITA reg (regulation) +3, Lost to GER reg +0
13 - KAZ - Beat NOR reg +3
13 - LAT - Beat FIN reg +3, Beat GER OT/SO +2
13 - FIN - Lose all +0
--
13 GER - Beat USA reg +3, Lost to LAT OT/SO +1
12 CAN - Beat ITA reg +3, Beat FIN reg +3

I don't know if I'm too tired or something but this was the only way that I could see Finland being in trouble and possibly getting eliminated.

So about that tiebreaker:
-KAZ has win over all tiebreaker teams so they should be safe?
-LAT, FIN, GER --- GER lost to both = GER OUT? Finland is safe.

So again I don't know if I'm too tired or not but I can't find a scenario where Finland can get eliminated. Is Finland's playoff spot actually secured?

GER needs 14 points to be ahead of Finland and if that happens, then LAT can get max 12 because GER vs LAT game is to be played. 12 isn't enough for LAT to pass Finland in that case, even if they take 3 points from FIN.

Enlighten me if I'm wrong.

Last edited:

Arselona

Nov 9, 2007
Finland will probably win group B. Most likely they'll draw a pretty tough opponent in quarterfinals though, such as Sweden/Swiss/Czech.

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
Finland will probably win group B. Most likely they'll draw a pretty tough opponent in quarterfinals though, such as Sweden/Swiss/Czech.
Slovakia would be the best possible. I don t don twant to be discrspectfull to Slovaks. The are very strong this year, but i ve a feel, that it s little bit better option than other 3.

THE JAM

Jan 16, 2015
EU

- who would be this other/easier QF opponent ? Denmark and Belarus have beaten Sweden, so who? ;)

Last edited:

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Slovakia would be the best possible. I don t don twant to be discrspectfull to Slovaks. The are very strong this year, but i ve a feel, that it s little bit better option than other 3.
I'd love to see Sweden. They've been poor and will only be worse without their top player. Fasth is also not up to snuff if they'd play him that is..

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
I'd love to see Sweden. They've been poor and will only be worse without their top player. Fasth is also not up to snuff if they'd play him that is..
But there is a danger, if they still manage the "miracle" (QF), that you are suddenly very euphoric and could spark new energy. Like Finland 2014 e.g.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad