Speculation: 2021 Expansion draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Seattle's failure to extract any additional assets with so much leverage gives me even more appreciation for what Vegas accomplished in their expansion draft. Everyone who whines about how the NHL handed the Knights a Stanley Cup finalist on a silver platter is going to look pretty silly when the Kraken are mediocre at best out of the gate and unable to rapidly improve the way Vegas did.

Reactions: themelkman

DisbeliefInDW

May 12, 2021
Seattle's failure to extract any additional assets with so much leverage gives me even more appreciation for what Vegas accomplished in their expansion draft. Everyone who whines about how the NHL handed the Knights a Stanley Cup finalist on a silver platter is going to look pretty silly when the Kraken are mediocre at best out of the gate and unable to rapidly improve the way Vegas did.

It's just a total showing of great management vs. terrible management. McPhee was widely regarded as one of the best GMs when he was hired, while Francis on the other hand wasn't and really had never built an even remotely good team. Vegas was handed completely slim pickings but managed to make it work, while Seattle COULD'VE had an absolute monster of a team without any trades at all but due to incompetence, has a pile of shit instead.

This is more a case of Seattle having absolutely terrible management than it is anything else.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
Not like the entire league learned a giant lesson or anything.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Not like the entire league learned a giant lesson or anything.

I'm guessing that's a big part of it but I also think Francis overplayed his hand based on some of the reported asking prices to avoid/take/flip specific players. McPhee was ruthless with the teams he knew he had over a barrel but also accepted 5th and 6th round picks to take lesser players from other teams. Francis appears to have just drafted some lesser options for the hell of it.

37 others

Apr 18, 2017
Glad that Blackwell succeeded in NY and that he was considered good enough to be the pick from them (although considering who else Seattle drafted I’m not sure that’s really a compliment lol). Always really liked him when he was with the Barracuda.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
I don’t think some of you get it. I see Seattle flipping back players for other players and picks. For example I wouldn’t be surprised if Gourde goes back to TB for Johnson and a first.
I don't know of it goes exactly like that but I think Seattle is going to take on a couple contracts for 1st round picks +.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Oh ok, I think I get it. TB would take back a lesser player on a cheaper contract in exchange for higher valued assets?
? I don't know about Tampa but there are teams like the Sharks that need to move out bad contracts, Seattle has a lot of cap space and apparently want to build thru the draft. For example, some team sends a shit contract like Tarasenko or worse along with a 1st or whatever to Seattle. Seattle has a player they can use now AND another 1st to build their team. They may end up with a little more talent by the time the season starts. I mean they can't really intend to go into the season with that roster can they? Kinda taking advantage of the honeymoon period.

Reactions: Sandisfan

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Yep, I'd expect trades with teams like Minnesota (Kahkonen), WInnipeg (DeMelo), and Flyers (Voracek). Maybe Carolina too with Niederreiter? I also don't get why they didn't grab Max Domi, very odd...
Doubt it, those guys were trades because of expansion draft. Its long gone now. Seattle is like everyone else

Erep

Jul 17, 2019
Yep, I'd expect trades with teams like Minnesota (Kahkonen), WInnipeg (DeMelo), and Flyers (Voracek). Maybe Carolina too with Niederreiter? I also don't get why they didn't grab Max Domi, very odd...
The Domi one is bizzare.

Even if they are 100% all in on the plan to go Wright into Bedard as the new Crosby/Malkin, Toews/Kane, they can pick Domi on a one year contract. If he comes back healthy after surgery, flip him at the deadline for picks, and if he is not, he is gone at the end of the year. Instead they picked a guy they could probably get off waivers at some point during the season.

Erep

Jul 17, 2019
I don't really get what you mean...can you elaborate?
Any trade they make from here is player they have to another team. They don't have any special leverage anymore, like "We wont take this player if you give us this."

Yeah, some other team might have told them to get a player for them, but the compensation wont be more than the player is worth, because they could have just traded for him from his original team if it was a huge overpayment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad