Post-Game Talk: 2021 Draft Post mortem - Rating the crop

How would you rate this year's crop ?

• Total voters

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Agree to disagree. While their might be minority chatter about this in 5 years, if he is a good player, it will not take a firm grasp and most will not give a damn.

Agreed that development is the hard part. Agreed that this situation is similar to the blackhawks (in the Patrick Kane situation especially). Agreed that unsensitive is a cute way to say they just don't care.

If Mailloux is a good player, I believe the gamble will have paid off and nobody will talk about what the kid did at 17 years old.
Success will breed indifference if not collective amnesia. You can guarantee it.

Reactions: themilosh

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
still trying to find vids and get to know the picks. Can't say I am impressed so far but I wasn't expecting much picking 2nd to last most of the rounds and in a weak draft. I know some will get mad but I'm not a big fan of the Q and our record there is just terrible. The last time we picked 4 players from the Q was 2013 and that didn't turn out well at all. Since 2012 we have picked, RHP, Houde, Bourque, Audette, Fucale, Ghetto, Reway, Gregoire, and Hudon. While RHP had a very good rookie year in the AHL, so far the best we have from drafting from the Q in the previous 9 drafts is Ghetto and Hudon. Hopefully they have some better luck this time around but I don't believe we have changed Q scouts over that time frame.

Just from a hockey stand point the Mailloux pick does look very interesting, though I would much rather we didn't make it for the shitstorm it caused as now he's going to need to be a top 10/15ish player imo to justify why they felt the need to do this. I read on twitter that MB heard teams were looking to pick him in the 2nd and he really liked his talent so he went for it. Only time will tell if it was worth it but you hope it wasn't another pick for need over BPA. That said the tools look really impressive but against low level comp so for now very difficult to get a read on.

Jesker

May 8, 2010
Montreal
Finally had time to assess the draft a bit... All in all I would give it a B-. Okay but could of been better. For me Timmins has the ability to always come out with something, but at every pick I think there were better options available.

Here were my picks at every Habs selection if I followed my list (future bragging rights or laughing stock) ;

31 ; Logan Stankoven (picked 47)
63 ; Simon Robertsson (picked 71)
64 ; Stanislav Svozil (picked 69)
87 ; Dylan Duke (picked 126)
113 ; Redmond Savage (picked 114)
142 ; Liam Gilmartin (picked 167)
150; Jake Martin (undrafted)
191 ; --
214 ; --

The last two picks, I had no one left on my list.

Fun facts ;
- Yes I love the USNTDP
- I had Stankoven top 15.
- Stankoven, Robertsson, Svozil and Duke were all in my top 40.
- I didn't have Mailloux ranked because of the story and lack of playing time.

As for the actual draft Montreal had
- Love the Kidney and Simoneau picks most.
- I hope Mailloux will be able to play.
- I don't know one bit of the two Russians D we took but I trust Timmins on this manner.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad