Post-Game Talk: 2021 Draft Post mortem - Rating the crop

How would you rate this year's crop ?

• Total voters

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
At this moment, I think B+.

Mailloux have great tools for a big defenseman.
Kidney is pretty skilled, big hockey IQ, play like Suzuki on video, maybe top 6 potential? He got great stats on junior. 17 points in 9 playoff games.
Kapanen, can't complain there... two-way C with great shot.

Joshua Roy is a pretty good pick, have a great shot and talent, can't wait to see his development.

The rest looks not bad too, they are not "Connor Crisp".

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Looks like a really solid draft this year. I'll go B but it looks like it could jump up a letter if everything works out

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Aside Simoneau I'm not really sure of these guys.

The goalie seems very intriguing. Big and played on a really shitty team.

No games, or very few has skewed it.

It could be a good draft, but I have very little faith in this scouting staff, so I'm assuming it's bad.

BeliveauFan4ever

Apr 10, 2006
Don’t know the crop well enough to grade. If there’s two solid NHLers in our bundle I’ll be happy.

Based largely on comments from posters here who do know the crop, Habs might have fallen short by not adding more pure skill.

The trading back ‘thing’ is old, real old.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Don’t know the crop well enough to grade. If there’s two solid NHLers in our bundle I’ll be happy.

Based largely on comments from posters here who do know the crop, Habs might have fallen short by not adding more pure skill.

The trading back ‘thing’ is old, real old.

i don't know the class well enough to say either way. from what I see the first two picks are both quite skilled and that's the most important thing to me. they're the two likeliest in being difference makers.

Reactions: CristianoRonaldo

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I'm pretty happy with the crop. It's the first time in a good while where all of the picks have at least ''on par'' value to them. There's no super long reach or taking a guy that's completely out of left field. No ''wasted'' pick from the get-go, although like every year there are guys I liked more in just about every spot. It could be a bit more sexy but I can at least make an argument for every guy.

Bacchus1

Fill the net!
Sep 10, 2007
Montreal
I can't get over yesterday. Bergevin broke something. F for me.

For me, I see what he did as a commitment to help a young man who made a huge mistake find his path again. In our society, so many ppl fall through the cracks for stupid reasons. It is good to try to help youngsters find their way ... it is one of the reasons that I became a teacher.

However, I will put more pressure on Bergie now to make sure that he actually does the work he needs to do now to help this kid. Too many kids have come to MTL and partied their way out of a career. If I were the press, I would hammer Bergie for his plan to help the kid.

Overall, with our first looking so promising a few years down the line, and some Quebecker kids, and so D and C help, I like our draft. Did we make mistakes? Sure. Are they all going to make it, probably not. But, I think we may have 1-3 NHL players in this draft.

SakuKoivu11

Jun 29, 2017
Drafting all these French players isn’t going to make the situation any better.

i predict Logan Mailloux never play a game for the Habs or the NHL. Wasted first round pick.

HTTP 400

Sep 1, 2007
For me, I see what he did as a commitment to help a young man who made a huge mistake find his path again. In our society, so many ppl fall through the cracks for stupid reasons. It is good to try to help youngsters find their way ... it is one of the reasons that I became a teacher.

However, I will put more pressure on Bergie now to make sure that he actually does the work he needs to do now to help this kid. Too many kids have come to MTL and partied their way out of a career. If I were the press, I would hammer Bergie for his plan to help the kid.

Overall, with our first looking so promising a few years down the line, and some Quebecker kids, and so D and C help, I like our draft. Did we make mistakes? Sure. Are they all going to make it, probably not. But, I think we may have 1-3 NHL players in this draft.

I hear you. But instead of talking about helping the boy, they should talk about helping the victims, or preventing this sort or things.

Draft him, ok, but donate money to victim resources for every year he's in the organization, or create a foundation dedicated to sexual education of teens or I don't know what, but do something to help the victims or to prevent it from happening in the future. Don't just help the individual. It sends the wrong message out there.

Last edited:

CapSpace

Caufield is lit
Nov 25, 2013
Near Montreal
C+. Shit draft. Shit draft positions. Shit 1st pick. Seriously I just hope for fresh blood at the next draft. MB and Timmins can f*** off. I don't care about Mailloux's talent. Let people who can't understand consent eat crow and learn themselves instead of sheltering them like poor things. Drafting him is pissing on the Habs image. If I was Molson I'd fire both right f***ing now.

What a shame.

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
B for me.

Aside the drama, Mailloux does have real potential for a big guy, really like Kidney, Kapanen and Trudeau too. Kostenko and Roy are pure high risk high reward prospects, while Sobolev I think has limited potential, but if he develop it, he could become a fearsome hitter at the NHL level (if he gets there, of course). Vrbetic played a lot, on an awful team, could make or break him, like the gamble. Simoneau is 'meh' for me, nothing against him, just think we could have signed him as a UFA out of the Q instead.

Still, 3 Quebec kids, been a long time haven't seen this, and strangely, 2 very average skaters in Kidney and Kostenko, not the usual trademark of Timmins.

In that particular draft, and while I wanted other players (of course, being an armchair GM is damn easy and I love it), I think they did well, and Bergevin managed to get some 2022 picks, which is great.

Reactions: Corson27 and bopeep

John B

Nov 19, 2016
This draft wasn't that deep to begin with so I have a hard time being too psyched for the haul. Mailloux was a shameful pick. Especially with Morrow, Poltapov, Chibrikov, Heimosalmi, Pinelli, and Stankoven on the board. Second round was a bit disappointing as well. Missed out on Robertsson, Martino, Svozil, and Pastujov. Maybe this draft will end up better than expected, but it's hard to ignore the talent that was left on the board in the first couple rounds.

Bacchus1

Fill the net!
Sep 10, 2007
Montreal
Drafting all these French players isn’t going to make the situation any better.

i predict Logan Mailloux never play a game for the Habs or the NHL. Wasted first round pick.

So, you don’t believe a 17 year old can make a stupid decision that can make a person a better man? I’ve seen addict recover, I’ve seen violent gang members recover, and I’ve seen people turn their lives around after prison. At least 10-20% of the kids I went to school did things on the same level as this kid. I’m not saying he WILL turn things around, but I think from what he and his family have done since the incident suggest that he COULD have the right infrastructure to redeem himself. IMO. If he does redeem himself, then I think he could be a star player. I just hope he has the mental fortitude to handle it, make the right decisions, make a genuine apology at one point, and learn the lesson that he needs to learn. I think he has already begun to realize that the decision he makes for immediate gains can have lasting consequences on others.

I hope, though, that he becomes a stalwart for us on defence and on the humanitarian side. That is now success for this young man.

Chili

What wind blew you hither?
Jun 10, 2004
Interesting, no US picks. With all those CHL picks would imagine several will be unsigned by June 1st, 2023. If for some reason they don't sign Mailloux, believe they would get a comp 2nd rounder if that still applies.

Reactions: Kobe Armstrong

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
C-

Because of Douchey Scumf*** - our pathetic first overall pick.

Other than that, some interesting prospects. Like the Kapanen selection.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad