2021 Draft Position Tracker

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
The only time I remember Buffalo being good was back in 05/06 when Afinogenov was on the cover of Hockey News and they also had Drury and Briere. I think Buffalo is seeing how hard it is to get rid of a losing culture right now. They have decent enough talent right now and they're still awful. Hopefully Detroit's rebuild goes a little smoother.
They were pretty decent 96-99, lost in SCF.

Leadzedder

Jan 2, 2005
I don’t watch games often. But it was nice to watch them win tonight.

Buffalo is making some separation with another loss to the devils. Anaheim loses.

2/5

NSH .431
NJD .423 (.400)
DET .367 (.345)
ANA .367 (.379)
SEATTLE KRAKEN
OTT .344
BUF .286 (.296)

Even games with Anaheim but Detroit has the tie breaker.

Tomorrow's game of interest

VAN vs OTT

12/30

HoweFan

Jan 10, 2017
I think Buffalo has last place locked up. They give off vibes of never winnning another game this year. Hopefully new coaching inspires some success. The rest look like they still care. The standings will be determined by the TDL. After Power and then likely Beniers I’m still unsure of my rankings. Likely Guenther and Ecklund. The next five or six spots are a puzzle

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I think Buffalo has last place locked up. They give off vibes of never winnning another game this year. Hopefully new coaching inspires some success. The rest look like they still care. The standings will be determined by the TDL. After Power and then likely Beniers I’m still unsure of my rankings. Likely Guenther and Ecklund. The next five or six spots are a puzzle

You're probably right about them locking up last. At least until we jettison 4 or 5 players at the TDL and start seeing Fillpula and Nielsen back in the lineup, anyway.

We'll probably trade a lot of players away between next week and mid april. That will help the tank!

Leadzedder

Jan 2, 2005
Sens with the loser point.

1/2

SJS .463
NSH .431
NJD .423
DET .367
ANA .367
SEATTLE KRAKEN
OTT .348 (.344)
BUF .286

Tomorrow's (today’s) games of interest

DAL vs DET
PIT vs NJD
BOS vs BUF
NAS
vs FLA
ARI vs ANA

13/32

Edited -> added San Jose. I didn’t notice they came in range. They didn’t play today anyways.

Last edited:
Reactions: wingerdinger

HoweFan

Jan 10, 2017
Does the draft order go strictly by reverse order of standings? ( barring the lottery). Or do the four bottom dwellers in each division get the top four spots?

Reactions: 14ari13

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Sens with the loser point.

1/2

NSH .431
NJD .423
DET .367
ANA .367
SEATTLE KRAKEN
OTT .348 (.344)
BUF .286

Tomorrow's (today’s) games of interest

DAL vs DET
PIT vs NJD
BOS vs BUF
NAS
vs FLA
ARI vs ANA

13/32

Now we're looking at likely picking 4 to 7 in this year's draft if this keeps up. Anaheim and Buffalo are atrocious and I don't expect any improvements out of them. I don't think we finish above NJD just based on the fact that they get a few freebie points out of Buffalo. Nashville could always mess it up for us, too.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Starting to get a little worried. Arizona, Nashville, and SJ are close enough now that with the right winning streak, the Wings will pass them. We could slip out of the top 10. And then LA, NYR, Columbus aren't that far.

And for what? It's not like we're developing a young core or something on this team. They're mostly randos that we're going to get rid of in the next year or so. We win with these low upside guys who work hard, and then teams like Buffalo and Ottawa lose with more talented lineups. But Ottawa can fix that by going out and getting a better group of veterans and role players. Detroit can't just go sign a skilled core group. The team with low upside is going to draft behind, perhaps considerably behind, the teams with tons of upside. That doesn't seem right.

But it's also like... the Wings aren't even winning a ton of games. Why are we climbing on every other team out of the playoffs? It's like they only lose, ever. It makes going 5-4-1 feel like a red hot win streak. What's going on with this league?

Last edited:
Reactions: 14ari13

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
Starting to get a little worried. Arizona, Nashville, and SJ are close enough now that with the right winning streak, the Wings will pass them. We could slip out of the top 10. And then LA, NYR, Columbus aren't that far.

And for what? It's not like we're developing a young core or something on this team. They're mostly randos that we're going to get rid of in the next year or so. We win with these low upside guys who work hard, and then teams like Buffalo and Ottawa lose with more talented lineups. But Ottawa can fix that by going out and getting a better group of veterans and role players. Detroit can't just go sign a skilled core group. The team with low upside is going to draft behind, perhaps considerably behind, the teams with tons of upside. That doesn't seem right.

But it's also like... the Wings aren't even winning a ton of games. Why are we climbing on every other team out of the playoffs? It's like they only lose, ever. It makes going 5-4-1 feel like a red hot win streak.
Huh? Most of our wins have been on the backs of Larkin, Fabbri, Mantha, Zadina - you know, young players that could form part of our core.

winning is never bad. Unless you want to end up like Buffalo

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
Those are decent players, but let's not start the parade on account of good play from our 1B center and 2nd line winger...
Nobody’s planning any parades. Dallas has 5 games in hand on us. NJ and the Sharks have a few too. We’re not going to go on a ten game winning streak. We’ll be in the bottom 5.

Winning some games is important for development of players and for maintaining a winning culture in the locker room. Otherwise, as I said before, you get a Buffalo or Edmonton situation of endless rebuilding.

Leadzedder

Jan 2, 2005
Yup.
5-4-1 in the last 10. Or 3-1-1 in the last 5.
Another 15 in a row and we’ll be talking playoffs.
Getting to add lots of teams with the mini win streak. Anaheim wins in OT. Nice. 6/8

VAN .485
ARI .483
DAL .481
SJS .463
NSH .450 (.431)
NJD .444 (.423)
DET .387 (.367)
ANA .387 (.367)
SEATTLE KRAKEN
OTT .348
BUF .276 (.286)

Tomorrow's games of interest

VAN vs MTL
STL vs SJS

Running tally -> 19/40

Last edited:

Leadzedder

Jan 2, 2005
Van wins and leaves the tracker. San Jose gets the loser point but stays within the range. 3/4

NYR lost tonight which puts them back in range.

NYR .483
ARI .483
DAL .481
SJS .464 (.463)
NSH .450
NJD .444
DET .387
ANA .387
SEATTLE KRAKEN
OTT .348
BUF .276

Tomorrow’s games

DAL vs DET
PIT vs NJD
NAS
vs FLA
NYR vs WAS
ARI vs ANA
STL vs SJS

22/44 (50%)

Just noticed Buffalo is not even within .100 of us. Oh well, they can stay. Call it the sabres rule.

Last edited:

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010

But it's also like... the Wings aren't even winning a ton of games. Why are we climbing on every other team out of the playoffs? It's like they only lose, ever. It makes going 5-4-1 feel like a red hot win streak. What's going on with this league?

I think ordinarily it would balance out over time but the lower sample size this year is a possible concern

like ordinarily the Wings should easily finish with less points this year than a Anaheim or Ottawa by the time the seasons over(and probably even Buffalo)....but with 56 games instead of 82 maybe it just isn't enough for it to even out

we'll see I guess

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I think ordinarily it would balance out over time but the lower sample size this year is a possible concern

like ordinarily the Wings should easily finish with less points this year than a Anaheim or Ottawa by the time the seasons over(and probably even Buffalo)....but with 56 games instead of 82 maybe it just isn't enough for it to even out

we'll see I guess
The Wings have been playing some good hockey lately, they don't look like a cellar team despite not having any elite players. But Bernie got hurt, so I'm sure we'll see a losing streak.

The team just needs to pick a decent LHD in this draft, grab some talent in 2022 free agency. The way they've been playing lately, I'm giving up hope on getting Wright in 2022. Building through free agency isn't ideal, but with a flat cap we're bound to see guys switching teams and there's some serious talent in 2022.

2022 NHL Free Agents Tracker | Spotrac

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Pipe dream: I’d take a serious run at Barkov and Jones. Maybe even Riley Smith if we shipped out Mantha for picks.

Ekholm and Ristolainen might be worth taking a look at too.
Barkov isn't a pipe dream at all. I'd go one year contract on any UFA this season, then go all in on Barkov in 2022. If the Wings don't win the 2022 lottery and get Wright, I don't think they have a choice. Forsberg would be a consolation prize.

I'd be all over Jones if he wasn't right handed.

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
Barkov isn't a pipe dream at all. I'd go one year contract on any UFA this season, then go all in on Barkov in 2022. If the Wings don't win the 2022 lottery and get Wright, I don't think they have a choice. Forsberg would be a consolation prize.

I'd be all over Jones if he wasn't right handed.

You should be all over Jones regardless of which way he shoots.

Leadzedder

Jan 2, 2005
NYR, DAL, ARI win
SJS, NSH, NJD, ANA lose.
6/14

All 3 winners leave the tracker, for now.

SJS .448 (.464)
NSH .435 (.450)
NJD .429 (.444)
DET .375 (.387)
ANA .375 (.387)
SEATTLE KRAKEN
OTT .348
BUF .276

Tomorrow’s games

NJD vs PIT
NSH vs DAL

28/58