Prospect Info: 2021 Draft - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

SENStastic

Sep 27, 2015
I am going off of the games I watched and formed my on opinion. Watch his games just not the highlight reals. Very telling.

Sillinger has a lot of what I think DJ would want out of a player and could see him play with Jimmy or Brady. He is always on the offense but is a solid kid who is not scared to finish his checks.

I may be biased but I have my top 3 picks I would like to see.

McTavish, Wallstedt or Sillinger.

Ah ok, then you probably have a better understanding on each prospect's level than I do for sure, I'm just going by the highlight reels and scouting reports I've seen/read so far, I didn't watch full games for each player, so my knowledge is not as comprehensive. I just really wish they swing for the fences with this 10th OA pick and hope the kid they pick over performs, I would love to see another high end offensive talent on the team and this draft would be as good as any given all the uncertainty. I'm good with McTavish or Sillinger, but prefer Kent Johnson over both from what I read, seems to have more offensive upside, but less of a sure thing. If he's available to us at 10, that would be a solid pickup imo.

Mark Stones Spleen

Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
Should have just played those plugs we sat at the end of the year and lost 2 more games … those wins mean nothing going forward.
This argument again?
If we beat LA in that last game before the covid stoppage, we would have had 2 and 3. We lost, so we got 3 and 5.

Reactions: bert

Mark Stones Spleen

Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
The list of guys who could be taken at 10 is gigantic, much bigger pool than any other year.

I’d be willing to bet that most of the guys below are in the conversation at 10 for teams around the league. This is a scouting year like no other.

Lucius
Bolduc
Bourgoult
Raty
Lambos
Cossa
Wallstadt
Lysell
Rosen
Robertsson
L’Heureux
Othmann
Pinelli
Chibrikov
Coranato
Sillinger
Svechkov

Any of those guys and I wouldn’t be surprised. Obviously I have preferences, and some I’d be upset about, but I guarantee there are loads of guys who teams could be too 10 high on.

I do think it will come down to a pool of 3-4 guys, but there are going to be picks made this year where people view them as reaches.
If the top 9 go as planned, I wonder if we'll see more trades in that 10-20 mark this year.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Kent Johnson
Mason McTavish
Chaz Lucius
Cole Sillinger

One of those 4 would be good, in that order. Wouldn't risk the pick on a goalie, they're harder to project and we already have several good options in the pipeline.

All this talk about drafting Wallstedt is a bit silly to me

I mean, IF the Sens didn't have all of Murray (27), Gustavsson (23), Daccord (24), Sogaard (20), Merilainen (18) and Mandolese (20), I could understand...

I don't see a scenario where Wallstedt will be the clear cut BPA at 10th OA. Surely, someone like McTavish, Sillinger, Johnson or Lucius will be avalaible...

In the 1st round, I much prefer drafting skaters than goalies (of course depending on the G pipeline you have) because there's so many spots that need to be filled with quality players... You basically only need 1 good goalie. You can get a good 2nd one basically every year on the UFA market or you should be able to develop at least a good back-up once in a while with goalies you drafted in later rounds (or even in the 2nd)

ALSO, who do people think would have more trade value if it comes up to a "number's game" and we don't need both of these guys?

Shane Pinto or Filip Gustavsson?

That's right, draft good skaters, particulary at 10th OA. Draft goalies in the 2nd round or later (when you don't already have a ton of them)

Sens goalies (ranked by SV%) :

Hasek 10th round
Hammond undrafted
Bishop 3rd round
Lehner 2nd round
Anderson 3rd round
Prusek 6th round
Nilsson 3rd round
Lalime 6th round
Gerber 8th round
Emery 4th round

Even looking at the best current/recent past NHL goalies

Vasilevskiy 1st round (19th OA)
Hellebuyck 5th round
Price 1st round (5th OA)
Fleury 1st round (1st OA)
Rask 1st round (21st OA)
Gibson 2nd round
Varlamov 1st round (23rd OA)
Saros 4th round
Grubauer 4th round
Markstrom 2nd round
Nedeljkovic 2nd round
Mike Smith 5th round
Shesterkin 4th round
Demko 2nd round
Blackwood 2nd round
Kuemper 6th round
Khudobin 7th round
Ullmark 6th round
Sorokin 3rd round
Bobrovsky undrafted

Price and Fleury being the only guys drafted very high, more than 15 years ago when it was still "trendy" to draft goalies high. Back when Huge Specimen could go 12th OA and scouting was not really as advanced as it is today

If we had I don't know, a 15th+ OA pick and Wallstedt was still available I'd be willing to go for it but right now we need to find a top-6/top-4 talent with that 10th OA. Even if we end up having "enough of that", it's a far better trade chip than Gustavsson/Sogaard will be (unless they beat Wallstedt for the #1 job!)

Last edited:

MatchesMalone

Formerly Innocent Bystander
Aug 29, 2010
I am going off of the games I watched and formed my on opinion. Watch his games just not the highlight reals. Very telling.

Sillinger has a lot of what I think DJ would want out of a player and could see him play with Jimmy or Brady. He is always on the offense but is a solid kid who is not scared to finish his checks.

I may be biased but I have my top 3 picks I would like to see.

McTavish, Wallstedt or Sillinger.

Haven't seen a ton of Lucius but a few games here and there over the past couple years. Never thought of him as soft, but sure he's certainly not a power forward. And I see what you mean by cherry-picking, but it doesn't define him. I find he's a pretty effective defensive player, and away from the puck offensively, it's similar to Sillinger defensively, where he doesn't have the speed to win puck races, so hedges his bets by trying to be in good position to keep multiple routes open, and it can come come across as floating.

The one thing about Lucius though is, if there is another player in this draft who can make plays through the middle of the ice better, I would love to see it. Lucius is simply a magician and master tactician through the middle. How well he can do it at higher levels is another question, but players who have that ability at the NHL level are superstars.

Reactions: Emrasie and Cosmix

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
If the top 9 go as planned, I wonder if we'll see more trades in that 10-20 mark this year.

Drafting odds between 2-5 are much more variable and different than 7-10 … and yes … it’s lame that anyway thinks those 2 extra wins will lead to any type of success next year or down the road ….

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
All this talk about drafting Wallstedt is a bit silly to me

I agree I’d likely target someone else. I’d certainly be working hard to throw up smoke screens to try to get a goalie desperate team to either pick one ahead of us to trade up ahead of us to take one and ensure one of our forward targets slips.

Reactions: Xspyrit

Mark Stones Spleen

Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
Drafting odds between 2-5 are much more variable and different than 7-10 … and yes … it’s lame that anyway thinks those 2 extra wins will lead to any type of success next year or down the road ….
You land where you land, you can't look at each instance in hindsight. Nobody should care. Nobody bitched about losing to LA despite us ending up with the worse position. I don't think those two wins at the end of the season are going to make us better long term, but I also don't care that we didn't lose those games because every time we've had the best odds for something, we've inevitably dropped a few places.

Get over it.

Reactions: innocent bystander

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
You land where you land, you can't look at each instance in hindsight. Nobody should care. Nobody bitched about losing to LA despite us ending up with the worse position. I don't think those two wins at the end of the season are going to make us better long term, but I also don't care that we didn't lose those games because every time we've had the best odds for something, we've inevitably dropped a few places.

Get over it.

Ha ! Nice try -the odds are predictive of your importunity for advantage. it will remain 2 costly wins and a bad opinion by anyone (everyone) who thought they would magically help the team going forward -

Time to accept it.

Last edited:

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I was talking with someone who works for a western conference OHL team. This guy has been close to Clarke and McTavish going back years. He feels McTavish is a home run due to IQ and drive to improve. He has some concerns about Clarke reaching his potential as he has not been able to elevate in big moments, and this goes back years.

Reactions: Emrasie

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I was talking with someone who works for a western conference OHL team. This guy has been close to Clarke and McTavish going back years. He feels McTavish is a home run due to IQ and drive to improve. He has some concerns about Clarke reaching his potential as he has not been able to elevate in big moments, and this goes back years.

I think both will be gone before 10.

McTavish is a big body , high compete player that can play the game in a lot of ways and will be an NHL player on the wing or at C. He will go early , maybe top 5 early. Someone will take a chance on Brandt. He is probably the most skilled D available and he's a right shot.

Reactions: aragorn and GCK

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
To pick a goalie that high in the draft, it can't just be a justifiable choice, you need to think it's the clear choice, because you're risking a lot, particularly when you can trade lower picks for more established goalies (like the leafs did to get Andersen and Campbell for example).

I'm not sure what the argument is... that you should never take goalies in the 1st round? Or the top 10?

I would imagine that if the Senators do end up selecting Wallstedt, it's because they think he's the clear choice out of available options.

My only point was that if the scouting does think he's the best player available, and has franchise-goalie upside, having Sogaard, Merilainen and Gustavsson in the system should not, in any scenario, stop them from making the pick.

If they think Chaz Lucius or someone else is better? Then yeah, take that guy.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Ha ! Nice try -the odds are predictive of your importunity for advantage. it will remain 2 costly wins and a bad opinion by anyone (everyone) who thought they would magically help the team going forward -

Time to accept it.

Not sure how costly it will actually end up being, we'd be drating what, 4th instead of 10th? Some mixed results

Sam Bennett vs Nick Ritchie
Marner vs Rantanen
Puljujarvi vs Jost
Makar vs Tippett (that's a big one)
Tkachuk vs Bouchard (another big one)
Byram vs Podkolzin (again, likely a big one)
Raymond vs Perfetti

Looking at this year's draft, I think we'll see less certainty in the projections, so I'd be less confident than usual that the higher rated guy will be better in the long run.

It would be nice to have 4th OA but I'm not losing sleep over it, people complained about Anderson winning us games in 2011 and ended up with Zibanejad instead of Landeskog, in the long run we probably drafted close to or just as good a better player (too bad we traded him...)

The reality is people only complain because those two games were the last two, why not complain about two games we won in February or the opening night win vs the leafs.

Reactions: Emrasie

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I'm not sure what the argument is... that you should never take goalies in the 1st round? Or the top 10?

I would imagine that if the Senators do end up selecting Wallstedt, it's because they think he's the clear choice out of available options.

My only point was that if the scouting does think he's the best player available, and has franchise-goalie upside, having Sogaard, Merilainen and Gustavsson in the system should not, in any scenario, stop them from making the pick.

If they think Chaz Lucius or someone else is better? Then yeah, take that guy.
I said take goalies if you feel they are the clear cut choice, but the associated risk is much higher so I'd rather not take them if it's just probably just as good or a little better than any other option. Justifiable isn't enough, it has to be unjustifiable to take the other guy imo. Having guys like Gus, D'Accord, Sogaard, and Merilainin all in the system just means there is no way you let the current lack of a starter push you towards taking him when it's a close call.

The bar is and should be much higher when selecting a goalie that high.

STUDtzle

Jun 1, 2021
The truth is no one really knows until 1 or 2 picks before the team goes. All depends on what the 9 teams ahead of us do or don't do.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I am a little shocked that people think this draft is going to be so predictable. The sens likely have a choice of 3 or more of the top 10 by the time they pick. This is going to be all over the place. Hardly anyone has been scouted and there isnt alot of high end talent. Teams lists will be very different.

Dingleberry

Jun 18, 2019
I am a little shocked that people think this draft is going to be so predictable. The sens likely have a choice of 3 or more of the top 10 by the time they pick. This is going to be all over the place. Hardly anyone has been scouted and there isnt alot of high end talent. Teams lists will be very different.

This, could see Johnson, Edvinsson and Clarke available at 10, and they might not even be on Sens top 10 so they would pick someone else.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Yeah if wallstedt is there at 10 then we have to take him.

Reactions: PM

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Is Corson Ceulemans RD a reach at 10 OA? Would you drop back to claim him & collect another pick in the process? A trade with Cal for their 1st 13th OA & 45th would give Ottawa three good early picks in the 2nd rd where there will be a number of good players available, like these guys.

1st rd - C. Ceulemans RD
2nd rd - L. Mailloux RD
2nd rd - T. Boucher RW
2nd rd - M. Knies C

Chabot - Ceulemans
Sanderson - JBD
Kleven - Mailloux

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad