Prospect Info: 2021 Draft - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
The list of guys who could be taken at 10 is gigantic, much bigger pool than any other year.

I’d be willing to bet that most of the guys below are in the conversation at 10 for teams around the league. This is a scouting year like no other.

Lucius
Bolduc
Bourgoult
Raty
Lambos
Cossa
Wallstadt
Lysell
Rosen
Robertsson
L’Heureux
Othmann
Pinelli
Chibrikov
Coranato
Sillinger
Svechkov

Any of those guys and I wouldn’t be surprised. Obviously I have preferences, and some I’d be upset about, but I guarantee there are loads of guys who teams could be too 10 high on.

I do think it will come down to a pool of 3-4 guys, but there are going to be picks made this year where people view them as reaches.

Yak

Jun 30, 2009
Los Angeles
www.androidheadlines.com
Here’s
@ScoutingService
top-5 shooters for the #2021nhldraft
1-Cole Sillinger
2-Dylan Guenther
3-Logan Mailloux
4-Mason Mctavish
5-Niko Huuhtanen

This is where my thoughts are McTavish, Sillinger are my first choices and Wallstedt my 3rd. Watching Lysell, Lucius play away from the puck is horrid, some serious cherry pickers almost.

Last edited:
Reactions: H2O

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
To prevent goals?

Murray - traded a 2nd+ for him and gave him a 4YR deal, only 27
Gustavsson - key piece in the Brassard trade
Sogaard - traded a 3rd just to move up to get him in the 2nd in 2019
Merilainen - taken in the 3rd round last year
Daccord - late pick that we've been developing for 6 years
Mandolese - late pick that we've been developing for 3 years

How many assets/picks are we going to spend on goaltenders?

More importantly, do the Sens not think they have a potential long-term starter in any of those guys?

Wouldn't a smarter strategy be to target a defenseman to prevent goals instead of yet another young goalie?

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
So, we are all liars?
6d9a9368c5a8ef0d0d5f18e26e5ad1b8.jpg

Reactions: Cosmix

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Murray - traded a 2nd+ for him and gave him a 4YR deal, only 27
Gustavsson - key piece in the Brassard trade
Sogaard - traded a 3rd just to move up to get him in the 2nd in 2019
Merilainen - taken in the 3rd round last year
Daccord - late pick that we've been developing for 6 years
Mandolese - late pick that we've been developing for 3 years

More importantly, do the Sens not think they have a potential long-term starter in any of those guys?

Wouldn't a smarter strategy be to target a defenseman to prevent goals instead of yet another young goalie?

We've picked 24 players in the last 3 drafts. 3 have been goalies. I wouldn't call that a ton of picks.

Between 2008-2011, the Lightning drafted 4 goalies.
Prior to the 2012 draft, they traded two 2nd round picks for Anders Lindback.
In the 2012 draft, they picked Vasilevskiy in the 1st round.
In 2013, they traded for Ben Bishop.
Since picking Vasilevskiy, they've drafted 7 more goalies in 8 drafts.

The answer is a lot. If you think you can get a potential top-5 starter, you jump on it, regardless of who else you have in the system. And when you already have a top-5 starter? You keep picking goalies, because they're a crapshoot.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
This is where my thoughts are McTavish, Sillinger are my first choices and Wallstedt my 3rd. Watching Lysell, Lambos and Lucius play away from the puck is horrid, some serious cherry pickers almost.
Lambos is one of the best defensive guys in the draft, and he’s certainly not cherry picking as a D

MatchesMalone

Formerly Innocent Bystander
Aug 29, 2010
Some players I really like for a little later in the draft: Kisakov, Plandowski, Koivunen, Heimosalmi, Lazutin. Wondering if anyone has strong opinions on any of them.

SAK11

Oct 4, 2011
If Wallstedt or Cossa is the BPA on your list then just pick them. Always BPA at the top of the draft.

Agreed, these guys are likely 3-5 years away from truly helping us, way too hard to predict what our roster will look like by then.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
We've picked 24 players in the last 3 drafts. 3 have been goalies. I wouldn't call that a ton of picks.

Between 2008-2011, the Lightning drafted 4 goalies.
Prior to the 2012 draft, they traded two 2nd round picks for Anders Lindback.
In the 2012 draft, they picked Vasilevskiy in the 1st round.
In 2013, they traded for Ben Bishop.
Since picking Vasilevskiy, they've drafted 7 more goalies in 8 drafts.

The answer is a lot. If you think you can get a potential top-5 starter, you jump on it, regardless of who else you have in the system. And when you already have a top-5 starter? You keep picking goalies, because they're a crapshoot.

Vasilevskiy was a far better prospect at the same age than Wallstedt. He's never had a season below .910 SV% at any level going back a decade. Wallstedt couldn't even hit that mark this year, albeit playing as an 18YR old in the SHL.

If we had a pick in the 20-30 range maybe a case could be made that Wallstedt is the BPA, despite our tremendous deep prospect pool at the goalie position, but we're not.

We've already spent two 2nds and two 3rds in the past 2 years on young goalies who fit into our long-term plans. Adding a top 10 pick to that list is overkill.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Vasilevskiy was a far better prospect at the same age than Wallstedt. He's never had a season below .910 SV% at any level going back a decade. Wallstedt couldn't even hit that mark this year, albeit playing as an 18YR old in the SHL.

That's not at all true.

It's unlikely that Wallstedt will develop as well as Vasilevskiy, who's now a surefire HOFer and undeniably the best goalie in the NHL. But at 18 years old, nobody thought he'd become that, either. Wallstedt is every bit as good a prospect as Vasilevskyi was.

Looking at their SV% tells you next to nothing, considering the different leagues and teams they played on.

With the amount of picks we've had, we have zero positional needs. You take BPA at 10. If that's another goalie, you take him. It it's another LW. You take him. If it's another LD. You take him.

Saying don't take a goalie because Gustavsson or Soogard might develop into a #1 is like saying don't take a center because Norris might develop into Kyle Connor, Pinto into Sean Couturier, and Stützle might move there and be as good as Sebastian Aho.

Last edited:
Reactions: Leaves34 and H2O

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
With the amount of picks we've had, we have zero positional needs. You take BPA at 10. If that's another goalie, you take him. It it's another LW. You take him. If it's another LD. You take him.

Saying don't take a goalie because Gustavsson or Soogard might develop into a #1 is like saying don't take a center because Norris might develop into Kyle Connor, Pinto into Sean Couturier, and Stützle might move there and be as good as Sebastian Aho.

As I have said, BPA doesn't work the same way for goalies. You can't shift a goalie to the opposite side or further down the lineup like you can with a forward or a defenseman - he either plays or he doesn't.

There's room for Stutzle, Norris and Pinto to all play center, and if that happened to not be the case they could always be shifted to the wing to help the team at a different position. No such flexibility with goaltenders.

The position can get easily crowded and guys will have to get moved out for cents on the dollar or lost for nothing. Even proven goalies don't tend to return much via trade, let alone unproven prospects.

We should roll with what we have and hope that Murray rebounds and we get a starter out of Gustavsson/Sogaard/Daccord/Merilainen, and spend the 10th OVR pick on a player that can help the team in other ways.

Reactions: dekem and edguy

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I'm hoping the Wallstedt talk is a smokescreen to try to encourage a team like DET, LA or SJ that actually need a goalie prospect to take him before our pick instead of trading back.

Reactions: SENStastic

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008

Saying don't draft Wallstedt because we have Gustavsson and Sogaard is big 'they already have Jose Theodore, Cristobal Huet and Yann Danis' vibes as our newly minted Senior VP Of Hot Takes shouted on TSN when Carey Price was drafted.

Reactions: Tuna99
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad