Prospect Info: 2021 Draft - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oral64

Aug 17, 2020
McTavish looks like the best possible pick if he's available at the 10th spot. He's not only a great prospect, but he has the bloodline that Sens management seem to covet.

On top of all that, he has a strong community connection, having grown up in the Ottawa Valley, just as his dad (Dale) did.

If McTavish isn't available, I see the Sens targetting Sillinger who, arguably, has a stronger bloodline than McTavish.

Of course, all bets are off if Ottawa gets super lucky and wins the lottery!

Reactions: Bileur

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
I think our pick is either Brandt Clarke or Mason Mctavish and I would be absolutely fine either way.

A future top 4 of:

Chabot-Clarke
Sanderson-JBD

excites the hell outta me likewise a top 9 of:

Stutzle-Norris-Batherson
Tkachuk-McTavish-C. Brown
Formenton-Pinto-XXX

Would be incredible. And a nightmare for other teams to face. We are in such a good spot. I'm pumped

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
McTavish looks like the best possible pick if he's available at the 10th spot. He's not only a great prospect, but he has the bloodline that Sens management seem to covet.

On top of all that, he has a strong community connection, having grown up in the Ottawa Valley, just as his dad (Dale) did.

If McTavish isn't available, I see the Sens targetting Sillinger who, arguably, has a stronger bloodline than McTavish.

Of course, all bets are off if Ottawa gets super lucky and wins the lottery!
Nothing arguable about that at all

SlapJack

Scum bag Sens
Dec 6, 2010
I think our pick is either Brandt Clarke or Mason Mctavish and I would be absolutely fine either way.

A future top 4 of:

Chabot-Clarke
Sanderson-JBD

excites the hell outta me likewise a top 9 of:

Stutzle-Norris-Batherson
Tkachuk-McTavish-C. Brown
Formenton-Pinto-XXX

Would be incredible. And a nightmare for other teams to face. We are in such a good spot. I'm pumped

Anything is possible, but I highly doubt that Clarke will be available unless Ottawa wins the lottery

Reactions: Icelevel

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
While I’m a bit disappointed we slid down to 10th, this draft will be a complete crapshoot

I don't think it will change much. At worst, we were going to finish 6 rather than 10. What did we actually lose by that happening?

1. We were basically locked into either Power or Clarke if we somehow win the lottery. Our odds at #1 /2 went from 14% to 7% by winning more games.

2. Clarke, Guenther, Edvinsson, Hughes, and Berniers are in the next tier after Power based on the rankings I've seen. One of these guys will probably slip, so maybe it would have been nice to be picking 6-8 to have a better chance at one of those guys without giving up a pick to move up, but not a huge loss.

3. Eklund, Johnson, Wallstedt, Lucius, McTavish, Lysell, and Sillinger are in the next tier. Some scouts have these guys in the top-6, some have them lower, but mostly they are 7-14. None of them are believed to have a much lower ceiling than the guys above them ,just a bit more risk that they might not meet their ceiling. We were going to get one of the guys no matter what happened and we have a good chance at #10 to get our favorite.

4. All in all we got a lot of benefits from winning, and there's still a 7% chance it doesn't matter, I'd guess we a 40% chance we still get a second tier guy we would have picked at #6-8 anyway.

5. Even if we do see someone at 6-8, from our top-5, we can always trade up from 10. It shouldn't' cost THAT much.

Regardless, I think we'll see someone from "our" top-5 at, say, 8, but we might have to give up a 3rd to trade up and get that person. I'd gladly accept the "loss" of a 3rd as a consequence of winning more games

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I don't think it will change much. At worst, we were going to finish 6 rather than 10. What did we actually lose by that happening?

1. We were basically locked into either Power or Clarke if we somehow win the lottery. Our odds at #1 /2 went from 14% to 7% by winning more games.

2. Clarke, Guenther, Edvinsson, Hughes, and Berniers are in the next tier after Power based on the rankings I've seen. One of these guys will probably slip, so maybe it would have been nice to be picking 6-8 to have a better chance at one of those guys without giving up a pick to move up, but not a huge loss.

3. Eklund, Johnson, Wallstedt, Lucius, McTavish, Lysell, and Sillinger are in the next tier. Some scouts have these guys in the top-6, some have them lower, but mostly they are 7-14. None of them are believed to have a much lower ceiling than the guys above them ,just a bit more risk that they might not meet their ceiling. We were going to get one of the guys no matter what happened and we have a good chance at #10 to get our favorite.

4. All in all we got a lot of benefits from winning, and there's still a 7% chance it doesn't matter, I'd guess we a 40% chance we still get a second tier guy we would have picked at #6-8 anyway.

5. Even if we do see someone at 6-8, from our top-5, we can always trade up from 10. It shouldn't' cost THAT much.

Regardless, I think we'll see someone from "our" top-5 at, say, 8, but we might have to give up a 3rd to trade up and get that person. I'd gladly accept the "loss" of a 3rd as a consequence of winning more games
Cost the Sens a 3rd to move from 12 to 11 in 2016, would cost at the very least, Tampa's 2nd to move from 10 to 8. Probably a 2nd + 3rd

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
Dont' forget every time we've slid down the last 4-5 years. Losing out could have still ended up with us picking 5-6 anyways, with a depressed team and fan base.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
If Sillinger could skate like Zegras, he'd be a unanimous top 3 pick
How strong is his defensive game? I wanted to take a closer look at his play during the U18 tournament but unfortunately he wasn't able to go. I think it was DobberHockey that compared him to James Neal and Jeff Carter. How accurate do you think that comparison is? From his goals he kind of looks like a Matthew's lite type.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
So is the first round only 31 picks? I am pretty sure Arizona loses their pick this year as part of their penalty from the draft violations from last year.

Reactions: NB613

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
Unfortunately we ended up giving away our best 2nd round pick in the Stepan trade. We gave them the Columbus 2nd round pick from the original Dzingel trade and Columbus performed very poorly this season.

That ended up being a really bad trade.
Arizon's management must have laughed their asses off after that trade.

They were probably trying to dump Stepan's contract all summer and then Dorion offers them a 2nd

dmarc

SENS!!!!!!!
Mar 29, 2009
Arizon's management must have laughed their asses off after that trade.

They were probably trying to dump Stepan's contract all summer and then Dorion offers them a 2nd

It was a dumb trade but they've also forfeited their first round pick this year so they should be laughing at themselves.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Sens don't mind guys who initially have questions about their skating.

They have a lot of confidence in their skating coaches as well as strength and conditioning guys

So you're saying that the Senators can develop players better than other teams? Or that they "think" they can. Don't all teams think that?

Reactions: DrEasy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad