2021 Draft - 4th Pick: Matvei Petrov (F)

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Not sure how I feel about this one.

All the goals I've seen from him are pretty open one timers. No shot blocks, no having to walk around a block. Just fire away. Not big on smaller D so it would be unlikely for me to like this pick.

I feel that Munzenberger is a D that will end up here. Petrov, I don't see it happening.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Not sure how I feel about this one.

All the goals I've seen from him are pretty open one timers. No shot blocks, no having to walk around a block. Just fire away. Not big on smaller D so it would be unlikely for me to like this pick.

I feel that Munzenberger is a D that will end up here. Petrov, I don't see it happening.

Petrov is a forward...

Reactions: oilers'72

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
The other thing that confused me was all the scouting reports saying he needed to add size and strength. He's 180 as an 18yr old. Which is pretty normal for forwards.

He's 6'2" as well I believe. If he's 180, it's not like he needs to add 40lbs. Maybe he's weak on the puck or along the boards?

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
He's 6'2" as well I believe. If he's 180, it's not like he needs to add 40lbs. Maybe he's weak on the puck or along the boards?
They probably just means he needs to fill into his frame. 6'2 should be over 200 once filled out

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
So this guy was 1st overall pick in the CHL import draft? Lots of good NHLers near the top of those drafts always. With Covid cancelling the CHL season last year, he didn’t get a look at all from NHL scouts. Probably a good bet his stock rises much higher than a 6th if he got to play.

Really liking this pick. Exactly what I wanted from the later rounds, high reward, high risk.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
So this guy was 1st overall pick in the CHL import draft? Lots of good NHLers near the top of those drafts always. With Covid cancelling the CHL season last year, he didn’t get a look at all from NHL scouts. Probably a good bet his stock rises much higher than a 6th if he got to play.

Really liking this pick. Exactly what I wanted from the later rounds, high reward, high risk.
The import draft is kind of a crap shoot. It's more about finding players likely to commit for smaller market teams than targeting BPA.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
The import draft is kind of a crap shoot. It's more about finding players likely to commit for smaller market teams than targeting BPA.
Like any draft I’m sure it’s crap shooty. But just looking at the top of that draft for the last 8 years, lots of decent NHLers have come through there. For a 6th round pick it looks like a great bet.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011

Please keep us up to date on Petrov’s development, I’m looking forward to it if you can! :thumbu:

Giggleplex

May 18, 2015

Oilers with yet another first overall pick :rolleyes:

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
That's fair and I was going to make a similar point to the angry poster. He's tracking successfully and that has value as well.

Look at Devon Levi, was a 7th round pick, but has progressed well as to have further value.
Didn’t he get pretty hot for Team Canada in jr?

CanmoreMike

Feb 27, 2002
#YEG

Agree with the sentiment but not sure I see it as a "high risk" pick.

In the last 22 years there would have been 380 6th and 7th round picks (I'm doing the math in my head).

How many have made it? Very few. So there's very little risk in wasting a pick if that pick was already likely to not make the show.

These are the perfect rounds to swing and hope for a homerun.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Agree with the sentiment but not sure I see it as a "high risk" pick.

In the last 22 years there would have been 380 6th and 7th round picks (I'm doing the math in my head).

How many have made it? Very few. So there's very little risk in wasting a pick if that pick was already likely to not make the show.

These are the perfect rounds to swing and hope for a homerun.
Good point. With how low in value 6th round picks are, how risky could it be.

Reactions: CanmoreMike

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I loved the pick at the time, he easily could have went in the 2nd to 4th round range so to get him in the 6th was a steal I think.

Good size and an outstanding shot. Rare Russian player who is also a right shooting forward.

Between him and Beryozkin hopefully at least one of them is a hit. This last draft had the potential for a lot of sleepers due to the lack of scouting and games, hopefully he hits big for us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad